ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball needs a better Opening Day

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
We all know that interest in regular season college basketball is waning.....especially in November/December when it competes with the NFL and College Football.

I think College Basketball should choose Veterans Day (since a lot of people are off of school and work) or a Friday around Veterans Day and set up some type of March Madness-ish all day event. I loved the heck out of the ACC doing conference games in Game 1 but that was a one time thing for ACCN and I know coaches hated it. But as a fan, it was a great way to get the season going.

So if I am named commissioner of college basketball, here's what I'm doing:

- 24 hours of college hoops is back. Cali games at midnight at 2AM, Hawaii at 4AM, East Coast games at 6AM, 8AM, and 10AM. Then at noon, we get going on some type of organized conference challenge matchup from noon-midnight

ACC vs SEC
Big Ten vs Big East
Big 12 vs Pac 12
A10 vs American
MWC vs WCC

We all know that interest in regular season college basketball is waning.....especially in November/December when it competes with the NFL and College Football.

I think College Basketball should choose Veterans Day (since a lot of people are off of school and work) or a Friday around Veterans Day and set up some type of March Madness-ish all day event. I loved the heck out of the ACC doing conference games in Game 1 but that was a one time thing for ACCN and I know coaches hated it. But as a fan, it was a great way to get the season going.

So if I am named commissioner of college basketball, here's what I'm doing:

- 24 hours of college hoops is back. Cali games at midnight at 2AM, Hawaii at 4AM, East Coast games at 6AM, 8AM, and 10AM. Then at noon, we get going on some type of organized conference challenge matchup from noon-midnight

ACC vs SEC
Big Ten vs Big East
Big 12 vs Pac 12
A10 vs American
MWC vs WCC
Chik Fil a vs Popeyes
Narduzzi vs Covid, with special guest referee Anthony Fauci
Wheeling Civic Center vs Johnstown War Memorial
Peloton vs Basic Training
Wyndell vs Chris Hansen
Tlak vs Talk
Teh vs The
In your seats 30 minutes prior to kickoff vs tailgating

Imagine the excitement for Pitt basketball if, say, Pitt scheduled a game against a longtime, nearby rival and played that game actually on Veteran's Day right at the beginning of the season.

Why they'd have to beat the fans away from the Pete with a stick!

👨‍🦯

Imagine the excitement for Pitt basketball if, say, Pitt scheduled a game against a longtime, nearby rival and played that game actually on Veteran's Day right at the beginning of the season.

Why they'd have to beat the fans away from the Pete with a stick!

👨‍🦯
I think an orchestrated opening day would create a little buzz nationally. Locally, not at all unless Pitt was good. I mean you get 31 games. Many boring ass Nov/Dec games in front of nobody. Use some creativity and come up with something for Opening Day. Those are just some ideas.

Others could be

State vs State Challenges
In-state Challenges

Maybe 8 schools get together at 1 venue like the NCAAT to simulate the atmosphere.

At PPG

RMU vs Kent St or Akron
Pitt vs WVU
PSU vs Duquesne
St. Francis vs YSU

In Columbus

Cincy vs OSU
Dayton vs Xavier
Miami OH vs Cleveland St
Wright St vs Ohio

Stuff like that

Just play the City Game as your opener every year.

The ancient pgh media members seem to like it.

Reactions: levance2
I think an orchestrated opening day would create a little buzz nationally. Locally, not at all unless Pitt was good. I mean you get 31 games. Many boring ass Nov/Dec games in front of nobody. Use some creativity and come up with something for Opening Day. Those are just some ideas.

Others could be

State vs State Challenges
In-state Challenges

Maybe 8 schools get together at 1 venue like the NCAAT to simulate the atmosphere.

At PPG

RMU vs Kent St or Akron
Pitt vs WVU
PSU vs Duquesne
St. Francis vs YSU

In Columbus

Cincy vs OSU
Dayton vs Xavier
Miami OH vs Cleveland St
Wright St vs Ohio

Stuff like that
It really doesn't make sense why it went away. It always led into the Legends Challenge but it wasn't the opening day.

Next Tuesday/Wednesday would be perfect for it. It's after the WS, it doesn't conflict with football other than MAC schools. Heck you can use the MAC schools that play the football games to also have hoops games on campus that day. BBall at like 2PM and football at 7PM.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT