ADVERTISEMENT

College Football’s All-Time AP Poll

I am surprised to see Colorado and Maryland, and to a lesser extent Georgia Tech, TCU, and Illinois, ahead of Pitt. I guess recency bias? But I would have thought that Pitt's glory days would also top those programs.

I am surprised to see Colorado and Maryland, and to a lesser extent Georgia Tech, TCU, and Illinois, ahead of Pitt. I guess recency bias? But I would have thought that Pitt's glory days would also top those programs.
I like that “Winsipedia” page for comparing programs. Pitt is better than all those programs and I’m sure some others ahead of them by most metrics they use.

For example, a few metrics for Pitt vs. Illinois:

All time win %: Pitt .574, Illinois .503
All time wins: Pitt 761, Illinois 632
Consensus AA’s: Pitt 55, Illinois 27
Weeks in AP poll: Pitt 314, Illinois 186

Pretty one sided. It’s at least closer with programs like GT and Colorado.

I'm just shocked that WVU isn't higher. Wail 'til CW Lambert hears about this!

This ranking is a joke! Look at the number of weeks posted the AP rankings (in parentheses) associated with each time. There are at least 7-8 schools (several cited above by the Chief Justice) who have less than the Panthers. Maryland, Minnesota and Illinois each are FAR below the number Pitt touts. VERY obvious Big 10 bias with each.

Also, Pitt is going to be in the Top 5-10 in all-time All-Americans. And we know we're currently 3 or 4 in NFL HoF'ers. That matters a TON. Colorado and Old Miss and TCU could not make a patch on Pitt's ass when it comes to football, all-time.

Finally, while this assessment supposedly goes back to the AP's origination in ranking teams, that was 1936. I think Pitt won 8 of its 9 confirmable National Championships, BEFORE the AP was even in the game. And for people who dismiss national championships from that era, college football was even bigger then - behind only major league baseball. For much of the era since 1936 (starting in the mid-late 60's), the NFL has very clearly dominated the sports consciousness of this nation. But Pitt was a MAJOR national name in the late-Teen's thru the mid-1930's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT