ADVERTISEMENT

College Football is My Favorite Sport, But....

Oct 25, 2021
Man, even if you take all this NIL/transfer crap out of the equation, it almost feels like the season is such a flash in the pan with the bowl games becoming meaningless. Twelve games per year isn't many. Two or three (in most years) are already played against FCS/G5 competition: Sorry - I just can't get excited for 90% of those games. So you're already down to around ten games. Of those, how many are you excited to play? Like, I didn't really care about GT (I know what happened) or VT going into the games. And I wouldn't have cared much about the last four anyway, because of where expectations were at versus the fact that we were already eliminated from Coastal contention (or thereabouts), but they were especially lulls because they were against mostly awful teams.

I feel like the bowl games used to be something to look forward to, and it kind of helped to mentally prolong what's a pretty short season already. But now? Just seems like it's hardly worth putting in the effort following this stuff just for 9 or 10 P5 games per season, only half of which are really all that interesting.

It'll probably never happen, but I would love to see the season extended a few weeks and the non-playoff bowls fall by the wayside. Like, give everyone an extra bye week and play 14 games or something. And eliminate the FCS game while you're at it, and make it so that P5 teams can only schedule one G5 opponent. Is that fair? I mean, I know we're currently in a player-empowerment phase, but when do the fans - the consumers of the product who make this whole thing tick - get a little bit of a say in this again?

This is why I think the 12 team playoff will save college football (for at least a bit)

This is why I think the 12 team playoff will save college football (for at least a bit)

Definitely couldn't hurt. Games that are both appealing and matter are really lacking right now. There were multiple weeks during the season were the schedule was just atrocious.

Makes me believe there is definitely a market for that super league. Whatever you would lose in fans of teams no longer being part of the show, you would probably gain in tv viewership (the aforementioned would mostly still watch, too). Nobody wants to see Michigan throttle Indiana by 28 at 8:00 on ABC because it looked like the best matchup of an insanely weak slate that week.

ADVERTISEMENT