ADVERTISEMENT

College Football's Next Big Star

Pickett for Heisman?
Why wasn't HCPN "smart" enough to figure this out??
Instead he goes with Brain Dead I Can't Run Browne and Ben DiNoodle Arm??????

HCPN-Oh yea I have Pickett on the bench darn I forgot all about him for 11 games????
Yea wow he can throw bullets, run over people, and he's smart and has football sense!
It's a good thing I'm the Pitt head coach and recognized his talent??

Reactions: JokePa
Pickett for Heisman?
Why wasn't HCPN "smart" enough to figure this out??
Instead he goes with Brain Dead I Can't Run Browne and Ben DiNoodle Arm??????

HCPN-Oh yea I have Pickett on the bench darn I forgot all about him for 11 games????
Yea wow he can throw bullets, run over people, and he's smart and has football sense!
It's a good thing I'm the Pitt head coach and recognized his talent??

Well, we did have a QB competition in the spring and camp, and Browne won. I think that was the probably version. Obviously, playing Monday morning quarterback it is easy to make the right call.

I think Browne looked good, he would have progressed nicely through the year, but ultimately this is the better thing to happen.

The Pitt way..
Everyone loves Pitt and they lose.
Everyone hates and doubts Pitt and then they win.
Soo...lets go easy with Pickett and at least see what he can do the first couple games next season before anointing him.
Although Pitt has been looking since Marino for that savior.

Horribly written and misinformed article but very glad to see someone from the left coast get on hype train.

I was going to say the same thing. Seemed like an 8th grader wrote it. Its called the "unprofessionals." Maybe the writers are not professional writers? I hope so because I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed for her as I continued reading.

Well, we did have a QB competition in the spring and camp, and Browne won. I think that was the probably version. Obviously, playing Monday morning quarterback it is easy to make the right call.

I think Browne looked good, he would have progressed nicely through the year, but ultimately this is the better thing to happen.

It was clear during camp that Pickett would end up being the best QB in the long run, but he had trouble with things freshman have trouble with like, getting the play called and reading defenses. Browne was brought in to be a bridge to Pickett after a redshirt. It just didn’t work out that way unfortunately with injuries. I’d have played him sooner too but I can understand why they were apprehensive.

I was going to say the same thing. Seemed like an 8th grader wrote it. Its called the "unprofessionals." Maybe the writers are not professional writers? I hope so because I felt very uncomfortable and embarrassed for her as I continued reading.

Let me clue you in as to who writes these articles these days and why you see a drop in quality and content.

Mrs Buffett owns a small media company that specializes in sports, travel, tech writing advertising and PR which she started after gaining experience at the NY J. Walter Thomson Agency.

In addition to having her own work, Mrs Buffett being a talented professional writer with a large proven resume would be contacted by various editors / beat writers and would write articles that the editors requested.
After changes these articles would go to print under another name in alot of cases the editor or beat writer requesting the article.

Over the last 15-20 years many of the "old school" not hands on editors retired and were replaced by younger, cheaper, communications, and journalism majors who are publishing tech savy hands on journalists, but had/have little in the field real world writing experience.

Instead of using contractors like Mrs Buffett these "new" Editors write their own articles which are basically "garbage." But it takes a whole level of expense out of the process.

Lots of publications ( newspapers & mags) are doing poorly and this was basically a cost savings play over quality and accuracy!

Last edited:
Reactions: JokePa
Once they burned the redshirt at SU is when he should have gotten the majority of snaps in practice and the games. He clearly looks more like a prototypical drop back passer and has just as good if not better wheels than DiNucci. My knock on both of them is they need to throw the ball away when nothing is there and line up for 2nd or third and 10 not 2nd or 3rd and 16. That to me is coaching because they both were guilty of it.

It was clear during camp that Pickett would end up being the best QB in the long run, but he had trouble with things freshman have trouble with like, getting the play called and reading defenses. Browne was brought in to be a bridge to Pickett after a redshirt. It just didn’t work out that way unfortunately with injuries. I’d have played him sooner too but I can understand why they were apprehensive.

It was announced that he wasn't ready when Max went down because he hadn't run Pitt's O in practice. Kenny had only been used as the scout team QB (or, is it called TOS QB on this site?).

It was only after Max went down that he had any practice time with the Pitt O.

It's pretty hard to throw a QB in the fire without practice time, no matter how talented he is.

Reactions: bwh05
Even so if you watch him in practice every day it would seem obvious to me that he had much more upside to him than DiNucci did and offered the best chance to win in the future and with the season pretty much gone after the SU loss I would have opted for him taking some lumps this year to be ready to go next year with 4-5 starts under his belt. I'm sure they would have had to run a limited playbook for a while but its not like his one half at VT made him all of a sudden ready to start against the #2 team in the country and I don't think we dumbed down the playbook during the Miami game. who knows if he plays the whole game against NC State and UNC we very may well win one or both those games and same against VT if he had played the whole game. His passing is light years ahead of DiNucci and i bet he makes enough plays with his arm and legs to get us at least one win in those 3 games. No way to know for sure coaches did what they felt was best and you just live with it. Hopefully it will be #8 under center for all 12 games next year

Did anyone notice the limited amount of passing plays they ran with Pickett? It's clear to me they've been trying to get him up to speed as fast as they could. Heck, the threw the same slant to Weah like 8 times in the Miami game. The same rollout play how many times?

OCs don't like limiting their playbook. It's even more impressive that Pickett did what he did given the limited amount of stuff they ran.

Reactions: pittdan77
They did run a lot of slants but was that because they didn't stop it all game or because they limited the playbook? I'm sure they did limit it some but he clearly can make all the throws that DiNucci could for sure.

Horribly written and misinformed article but very glad to see someone from the left coast get on hype train.
I really expected more out of Dina Colunga...gee, not that much research involved in knowing that DiNucci did not start in the bowl game last year...

So cool that he played and played well the last game.

Gives me so much more confidence in next year than if we kept him on the bench

Browne “won” because the plan was to RS Pickett and DiNucci wasn’t starting material. Browne was supposed to be the bridge between Peterman and Pickett. Unfortunately he was the same bust he was at SC, then of course he got hurt.

And I don’t want to hear how great he was against Rice, which is a sad, pathetic excuse for a D1 program.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It was announced that he wasn't ready when Max went down because he hadn't run Pitt's O in practice. Kenny had only been used as the scout team QB (or, is it called TOS QB on this site?).

It was only after Max went down that he had any practice time with the Pitt O.

It's pretty hard to throw a QB in the fire without practice time, no matter how talented he is.
He played the next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT