ADVERTISEMENT

coming up for the ACC tourney ...

any recommendations on where to stay? must-eat places near your campus?
downtown Pittsburgh to the Oakland area of Pittsburgh lots of good hotels and easy to get to campus via uber or lyft. Countless great places to eat downtown. Sienna mercato good food with a great rooftop beer hall about 10 different places to eat within walking distance of Sienna. Google map downtown Pittsburgh and search the hotels should be a lot of good deals if you use trivago.

Must eat places include ,”Oakland Original”. Best hot dogs and best fries anywhere.
There are several hotels in Oakland(Pitt campus) that are fine which are in walking distance from arena. Residence Inn, Wyndham, The Oaklander, and Hilton Garden Inn.

Last edited:
I went to Pitt and am originally from Pittsburgh. When I return, I prefer the Wyndham because of the location and free breakfasts. The HGI is very nearby so the location is fine. Don’t know if it includes breakfast.

The Original (the O) which someone recommended is a must visit for me, but not exactly a gourmet experience. I grew up on the grease, but it’s an acquired taste. I would liken it to a much smaller version of The Varsity near the GT campus. Pamela’s is a must. Even if breakfast at your hotel is included, skip it one morning and eat there. Primanti’s is another Pittsburgh tradition. I love Tessoro’s in Bloomfield for the best burgers in the city. It’s not far from Pitt but not really near any good night life. There are lots of bars and restaurants on East Carson Street on the Southside and that is the nightlife capital according to those much younger than me. My nightlife days are long passed.

I went to Pitt and am originally from Pittsburgh. When I return, I prefer the Wyndham because of the location and free breakfasts. The HGI is very nearby so the location is fine. Don’t know if it includes breakfast.

The Original (the O) which someone recommended is a must visit for me, but not exactly a gourmet experience. I grew up on the grease, but it’s an acquired taste. I would liken it to a much smaller version of The Varsity near the GT campus. Pamela’s is a must. Even if breakfast at your hotel is included, skip it one morning and eat there. Primanti’s is another Pittsburgh tradition. I love Tessoro’s in Bloomfield for the best burgers in the city. It’s not far from Pitt but not really near any good night life. There are lots of bars and restaurants on East Carson Street on the Southside and that is the nightlife capital according to those much younger than me. My nightlife days are long passed.
actually now the North Shore between the stadiums is the happening spot for nightlife and also Lawrenceville. Mike you must have been gone for a while.

Best hotel on the Pitt Campus is “The Oaklander”
Only about a year old. Far above the competition....

Morcilla (Lawrenceville) - one of my favorite restaurants in the city. Spanish cuisine with great small plates and charcuterie.

Poulet Bleu (Lawrenceville) - great French food. Cool atmosphere even if you just go for drinks.

Dish Osteria (Southside) - authentic southern Italian food. Limited seating, but you can usually find a spot at the bar. Perfect location if you want a good meal before hitting the bars on East Carson.

Primanti's - locations in South Side, Oakland, Strip District, Downtown. Must try if you've never been. Stick with Cap or Pastrami, add an egg, thank me later.

The "O" (Oakland) - French Fries. Lots of them. Gravy. Cheese.

The Strip District - recommend taking a walk around the area if you have a free morning. There is a Pamela's location to get breakfast, La Prima is a great coffee/espresso shop, and there are tons of other vendors and shops.

Mount Washington - take a ride up the incline from Station Square to get the best view of the city. There are bars and restaurants up there as well. Bigham Tavern, Coughlin's Law, Shiloh Grill, and more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT