ADVERTISEMENT

Conference championship purpose in future years…

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Sole purpose really to seed the top 4? Nearly all P5 have two top 12 teams playing. The lone exception being UNC Clemson in which a UNC win may not be enough to allow them to finish as a top 5 conference champion. Purdue could have a miracle chance and LSU also on the fringe. Clemson might remain high enough with a loss or they might drop below FSU, potentially sending FSU to the playoff in that scenario.Would the CfB really drop a team out of the playoff for a conference championship game loss? I guess score matters, but it will be an interesting precedent to see how the 5 losers drop if at all and what factors play a role. ND could benefit if on the fringe, but a year like this and no path for them.

If you have a 12 team playoff, it won't matter so much.

6 slots are automatic, the P5 Conf Champs and top Group of 6.

Then 6 at large.

So if #2 tOSU is playing #5 Michigan for the B1G title, it really doesn't matter.

But say if Clemson is #3 and they are playing #15 UNC for the ACC title. If UNC wins, Clemson likely gets an at large. But if Clemson wins, UNC won't get in.

It is not that complicated.

Reactions: pittdan77
If you have a 12 team playoff, it won't matter so much.

6 slots are automatic, the P5 Conf Champs and top Group of 6.

Then 6 at large.

So if #2 tOSU is playing #5 Michigan for the B1G title, it really doesn't matter.

But say if Clemson is #3 and they are playing #15 UNC for the ACC title. If UNC wins, Clemson likely gets an at large. But if Clemson wins, UNC won't get in.

It is not that complicated.
Depends. It’s why I like the 12 team model. I’m your example- both Mich/OSU would be in. But winner gets bye. Loser gets extra game. Also the way it’s structured (from my understanding is to get bye you must be conference champ so UNC might be playing for inclusion (and bye depending on other conferences) and Clemson would play for bye.

This week. Only 1 game matters as many feel TCU is in if they don’t get blown out.

Plus with home games in round 1 and probably regional in round 2 seeding might come into play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT