ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Coach Stallings and Players!

Thanks for posting -- congrats to the team!

I bet some of them have a higher GPA than they do points per game average. Sorry, couldn't resist, but for a men basketball team's GPA that is VERY impressive. Congrats to coaches, and players!!

Nice to hear. And the team does appear to be playing hard and hustling for Stallings. I will give him that. I hate to offer any criticism of the players, But, they do have scholarships to play basketball. If you are a business owner and have a salesperson not producing you may give them some time, but; eventually no matter how good a person they may be, they must move on.... Some of these guys are on the clock.

Stallings fault, should be higher. :) Actually, congrats to the young men and women who take advantage of the educational opportunity they have been given.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Kudos to the kids! They do seem to be a great bunch of young men and I will always pull for them and for Pitt. Forget Stallings, this is more important than that and this is what matters.

We can joke about the on the court stuff......but they really do seem like a really good bunch of kids.

Maybe we can drop some of the hatred for Stallings and pull for these guys.
They indeed do seem like a good book bunch of guys.

I'll readily confess that I do feel a little less connected to these guys because I did not get to know them personally like I did for all other players at the scorers table for the summer league since 2007.

That is great and all, but the big bad NCAA doesn't have a billion dollar tournament in March where the entire nation does office brackets on which team works the hardest in study hall. This team may not win a game in the ACC this year. It's like when you ask if a girl is pretty and they say, "Well, she is really smart...uuuhhh, and funny"

I'll readily confess that I do feel a little less connected to these guys because I did not get to know them personally like I did for all other players at the scorers table for the summer league since 2007.

Really hope the summer league comes back this year...it's been every other year recently.

FWIW, this may be the most well-spoken group of players we've ever had. Even the freshmen handle the press conferences very well. Thats not an easy thing to do at this age.

The BOT had to be thrilled. They should be extending Stallings soon

Reactions: FireballZ
Even the freshmen handle the press conferences very well.

I tend to agree, with the exception of Stewart. I saw him at the podium after a recent win and he sounded like he was going to throw up. It was one of the most awkward press conferences I've ever seen.

Highest ever cumulative GPA for the Basketball team the first semester.

3.2GPA. Pitt has more true STUDENT athletes on the court than Duke or UVa.
Of course owt, when folks recognized academic achievement about 5 years ago, you called them Dixon fanboys. ;)

DT, I think we all feel less connected because they just kind of appeared, little following of their recruitment and unlike alot of guys in the past, like a Wanamaker or Gibbs, where we kind of heard of them and followed them a bit in HS, these guys just sort of appeared and voila were Panthers and are now starting. Really weird. So we are all still trying to identify with them I think.

Of course owt, when folks recognized academic achievement about 5 years ago, you called them Dixon fanboys. ;)

No. Not really. If you can remember, I think sometimes I get confused with other posters. Yeah, I criticized Jamie sometimes, but not constantly. I am the one who said at the start of a Pitt/Duke game, that Pitt actually had the more superior STUDENT athletes. Of course I am sure I threw in a snarky comment about wishing we had more of an "athlete" part. ;) But I did appreciate that.

Of course, that being said, gimme a class like Smith/Gore or Martin/Shorter/Miller/Matthews/Porter and you can have your GPA! :)

Even the freshmen handle the press conferences very well. Thats not an easy thing to do at this age.

A couple of them have even figured out how to handle a Hillgrove/Groat radio post game show non-interview reasonably well already. That's quite an achievement!

Haha. Haven't heard many of those but those interviews are the worst ever. They either ask questions that require only yes/no answers or they dont ask questions at all and just make a statement and expect the player to follow that with their own comment

That's an interesting claim....w/o proof. Congrats to the kids...boo to your claim..

That's an interesting claim....w/o proof. Congrats to the kids...boo to your claim..

Well considering the amount of one and dones at Duke, trust me I am doubting there are many Shane Battier's coming through there anymore. I looked through their bios, Grayson Allen, everyone's favorite is an Honor Student. And so is David Robinson's son. But no other players had anything mentioned academically in their bios. And this is Duke, you would think they would be touting this stuff. Think Marvin Bagley III is studying BioChemistry?

As for UVa, looking at their roster, alot of undeclared, alot of Sociology and grad transfer from Rutgers in Criminal Justice.

So yeah....I'll stand by my comment.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Well considering the amount of one and dones at Duke, trust me I am doubting there are many Shane Battier's coming through there anymore. I looked through their bios, Grayson Allen, everyone's favorite is an Honor Student. And so is David Robinson's son. But no other players had anything mentioned academically in their bios. And this is Duke, you would think they would be touting this stuff. Think Marvin Bagley III is studying BioChemistry?

As for UVa, looking at their roster, alot of undeclared, alot of Sociology and grad transfer from Rutgers in Criminal Justice.

So yeah....I'll stand by my comment.
Gee......all our guys are physics majors? Is Duke better than Pitt, academically?? We have 11 new guys here....several will be one & dones. Your claim isn't even close to being proven. Your entitled to your opinion...nothing more.
I'm curious...how can freshman have an academic record at Duke that you haven't seen?? Their bios don't include that. Stand by your comment....and look foolish.

Haha. Haven't heard many of those but those interviews are the worst ever. They either ask questions that require only yes/no answers or they dont ask questions at all and just make a statement and expect the player to follow that with their own comment

At this point Hillgrove actually seems to be trying to make a concentrated effort to end his statements with some sort of question that the guys can answer, or at least to end his statements with something like "tell us about that". But Groat is getting worse and worse all the time (and who'd have thought that was even possible). I can't see how this isn't Groat's last year.

Gee......all our guys are physics majors? Is Duke better than Pitt, academically?? We have 11 new guys here....several will be one & dones. Your claim isn't even close to being proven. Your entitled to your opinion...nothing more.
I'm curious...how can freshman have an academic record at Duke that you haven't seen?? Their bios don't include that. Stand by your comment....and look foolish.

This is a hill you are going to die on? You so hate Kevin Stallings, you can't even give any credit to his players? Holy **** are you a jerk.

The qualifications to be accepted to the University of Pittsburgh isn't the same for all applicants. Just as the selected major differs in difficulty to achieve it. Congratulations to the "student athletes" who received this GPA. However, whether it's Pitt or Stanford some classes and or degrees they earn shouldn't be compared with let's say biomedicine or astrophysics. It's very similar to the "honor roll" in today's schools. Virtually everyone makes it including some special ed kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT