ADVERTISEMENT

Copa America 2024

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Anyone hear any updates on this? USA was rumored to be in the running to host. Any news there? And what about the US being invited to play in it? With no World Cup qualification for US, Mexico and Canada, it seems reasonable that those 3 countries seek an invite.

Better competition than the Gold Cup. Even if it’s not in the states I’d hope ussf would really push to be invited

Anyone hear any updates on this? USA was rumored to be in the running to host. Any news there? And what about the US being invited to play in it? With no World Cup qualification for US, Mexico and Canada, it seems reasonable that those 3 countries seek an invite.

No but I was thinking that after this week (hopefully not today), the next meaningful USMNT game will be in June 2026, 3.5 years from now. At least qualifiers can get the juices going for diehards but we wont even have that. This is why its so important that the US get into UEFA. The team would always be playing meaningful games. Even their Nations League would be something worthwhile.

I also HATE the elimination of the Confederations Cup. Why? They said they wanted to do an expanded Club World Cup but never went into detail and never actually did it. Did they plan on doing a once every 4 year Club World Cup with continental winners all qualifying? That would be kind of cool. Maybe 16 teams, 4 Euro and SA Champs, 2 each from CONCACAF, Asia, and Africa, the host, plus maybe a playoff between Ocenia, CONCACAF, Asia, and Africa for the last team.

But the US has to do something. Copa America would be a start. Is the Gold Cup still every 2 years? If not, the US should host their own Confed Cup-like tournament in 2025. The USWNT hosts that She Believes Cup so why not?

No but I was thinking that after this week (hopefully not today), the next meaningful USMNT game will be in June 2026, 3.5 years from now. At least qualifiers can get the juices going for diehards but we wont even have that. This is why its so important that the US get into UEFA. The team would always be playing meaningful games. Even their Nations League would be something worthwhile.

I also HATE the elimination of the Confederations Cup. Why? They said they wanted to do an expanded Club World Cup but never went into detail and never actually did it. Did they plan on doing a once every 4 year Club World Cup with continental winners all qualifying? That would be kind of cool. Maybe 16 teams, 4 Euro and SA Champs, 2 each from CONCACAF, Asia, and Africa, the host, plus maybe a playoff between Ocenia, CONCACAF, Asia, and Africa for the last team.

But the US has to do something. Copa America would be a start. Is the Gold Cup still every 2 years? If not, the US should host their own Confed Cup-like tournament in 2025. The USWNT hosts that She Believes Cup so why not?
Unless I’m wrong, this is what lies ahead:

2023: Gold Cup
2024: Copa America (hopefully)
2024: Olympics
2025: Gold Cup
2026: World Cup

Is nations league still a thing in concacaf?

Unless I’m wrong, this is what lies ahead:

2023: Gold Cup
2024: Copa America (hopefully)
2024: Olympics
2025: Gold Cup
2026: World Cup

Is nations league still a thing in concacaf?

I believe Nations League is still a thing.

You know what I think about the Olympics. Minor tournament internationally but MAJOR event in the US and nobody knows its a U23 tournament. The US could field a really good squad and win it and average Americans will think we will win the 2026 WC.

Reyna, Musah, and Scally from the WC team and also Pepi are age eligible. I know its tough to get them released but you have to try. Its in Paris so maybe they can get some players released for 1 week for the knockout round. Paxton Aaronson will be on the squad so you wonder if Brendan may push to be on it as an overage player. And what if Pulisic is in MLS by then? The MLS team would be under enormous pressure to release him. I actually think, similar to Dempsey, an MLS club like LA or Miami could pay him more than what he'd make in Europe. Will he be ok going to a upper middle Euro club? Or take the money from MLS?

The Nations League is not only a thing, they are half way through the group stage of the tournament. Remember back in June when the US pummeled Grenada and drew with El Salvador? Those were Nations League games. The US plays them both again in late March to complete the group stage of their group.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
The Nations League is not only a thing, they are half way through the group stage of the tournament. Remember back in June when the US pummeled Grenada and drew with El Salvador? Those were Nations League games. The US plays them both again in late March to complete the group stage of their group.

Totally forgot those games happened. You know what would be kind of cool, actually, a combined CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Nations League. There was talk after Copa America Centenario of expanding it to include USA, Mexico, etc but they aren't going to do that. I think they'll probably invite them for 2024 but beyond that some type of Nations League would be cool.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
But once again, the USA is not in Europe.

Why do you always have to say that? I know its not but I care more about the US Soccer program and MLS than I do about geography and there are other examples of teams playing outside their continent like I said. Its best for US Soccer that it be in UEFA. Will it ever happen? No

Why do you always have to say that? I know its not but I care more about the US Soccer program and MLS than I do about geography and there are other examples of teams playing outside their continent like I said. Its best for US Soccer that it be in UEFA. Will it ever happen? No
Why do you always have to say that? :)

Did you ever think that the Euro Super Leagues probably don't want the USA and MLS to get better? They probably don't want to have more competition.

ADVERTISEMENT