ADVERTISEMENT

Could Pitt land 2 Commits today from 4 star guards?

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-Mcgowens and Johnson

7drHiqr.gif

Definitely still take Johnson. Some things I read on McGowens said he can play off the ball as well. Can never have enough PG's as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
are there any wings/bigs for 18 this might help us with to fill out the roster?

You also have to think this would help us with Ellison

Reactions: jbug21
are there any wings/bigs for 18 this might help us with to fill out the roster?

You also have to think this would help us with Ellison

I think Capel is focusing on guards as much as possible....big, athletic, fast guards. I doubt he takes any true "bigs", possibly some forwards, but no 5's that are strictly 5's. At least from the guys he is recruiting, none are true C's.

Xavier looks so fast I would think he would just take a little time to develop (not a shooter by any means yet) but that his ceiling is significant.

Reactions: rockypanther
-He's a 4 star on ESPN. I attached the link.

Rivals and 24/7 have him as a 3 star; ESPN has him as an 80, the lowest possible 4 star (79 would be 3 star.)

I like him because he is really, really quick. But he would need time to pick up more of the skills needed and he isn't very big or long.

I think Capel is focusing on guards as much as possible....big, athletic, fast guards. I doubt he takes any true "bigs", possibly some forwards, but no 5's that are strictly 5's. At least from the guys he is recruiting, none are true C's.
As he should be. Flex 5s is the way to win in the ACC

Looking at his offers, it seems he is looking to get two guards and two forwards. He really has not offered any centers or bigger post guys in this class, 2018 is too picked over at this point.

2019, he has to have about a dozen or so post type guys he has offered, and during the last week of show case events has been front row watching the big men he is locked in on.

As he should be. Flex 5s is the way to win in the ACC

Its pretty clear that HCJC is looking to play a four out system of some kind, with one talented post guy, two strong guards and two flex type forwards.

I hated four out for JD and Stallings, because you can't win doing what pretty much everyone else is doing if you are getting top 100 to 250 talent. You can really only win big with it if you are recruiting top 100 talent regularly, or get lucky with some really freaky good guard play, which there is a much better chance with HCJC.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Rivals and 24/7 have him as a 3 star; ESPN has him as an 80, the lowest possible 4 star (79 would be 3 star.)

I like him because he is really, really quick. But he would need time to pick up more of the skills needed and he isn't very big or long.

He is solidly built, and probably close to a legit 6-0 or more. His coach says "he has pro speed." This outside shot is tragic, but he has plus athleticism, and is regarded as a strong defender and leader, and can penatrate to score or dish.

You can win with a guy like him if you have shooters at the other guard/wing spots, and he and McGowens would be the most talented, quick and athletic guard duo the program has seen in ... Well, not sure when.

He is solidly built, and probably close to a legit 6-0 or more. His coach says "he has pro speed." This outside shot is tragic, but he has plus athleticism, and is regarded as a strong defender and leader, and can penatrate to score or dish.

You can win with a guy like him if you have shooters at the other guard/wing spots, and he and McGowens would be the most talented, quick and athletic guard duo the program has seen in ... Well, not sure when.

We need a guard who can get to the rim and finish. We have for years.

Its pretty clear that HCJC is looking to play a four out system of some kind, with one talented post guy, two strong guards and two flex type forwards.

I hated four out for JD and Stallings, because you can't win doing what pretty much everyone else is doing if you are getting top 100 to 250 talent. You can really only win big with it if you are recruiting top 100 talent regularly, or get lucky with some really freaky good guard play, which there is a much better chance with HCJC.

Bingo! Good post.

4 out works if you have:
Shooters - able to take advantage of the drive and kick out
Slashers - athletes with the size, quicks and hops able to take advantage of a more spread out floor and less clogged lane to get to the rim and or penetrate and kick

But you absolutely need the athletes to do it. You need a capable big for offensive rebounding and defensive rim protection. But I doubt we see that until the 2019 class (barring an "out of the blue" type of grad transfer or some other unexpected windfall).

Reactions: Jeffburgh
And not all 4 out/1 in offenses are the same. Jay Wright's system is pretty darn different than Stan Van Gundy's. Though Wright has more pick and roll than he used to (like everyone else in the world) and Van Gundy added more motion the last two years as well. They both adjusted their 4 out to their personnel and I would hope Capel does the same thing.

Random note but my favorite offense to watch right now is the Warriors 5 out series. Very few teams have the shooting to pull that off -- though to be fair, they used to run it with Andrew Bogut at the top of the 3 point line as well! And they have about 100 games a year to tweak all their different sets of course.

You are correct. Xavier Johnson is not a 4-star. He's around Top 200, making him a 3-star recruit, not close to a 4-star.

Having said this, I certainly hope he commits.

Well he is a 4 star on ESPN. Ah sorry, I see this was covered. Yeah saying he's a top 200 guy seems fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT