ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Could this be Pitt's QB recruit in the 2021 class?

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
I had a text exchange with Alexandria (Va.) Episcopal Collegiate School quarterback Emmett Morehead yesterday, and I think he's a prospect you should probably keep in mind over the next couple months.

If you recall, we wrote about Morehead in February and he was very positive about Pitt at the time.

“Coach Whipple has been to my campus twice now,” Morehead said. “Without a doubt, he’s really experienced and he has a plan which I put a lot of trust in. I appreciate that in a coach. From what I can tell, he has a really good vision for quarterbacks.

“I watched about eight of their games and I could tell they were attacking. I think they’re pretty balanced; their run-to-pass is really good for me as a pro-style quarterback. A coach who trusts his quarterback is a good thing for me.

“Their offense is exciting. I think they’re kind of rebuilding and I think they’re going somewhere good.”

There was a caveat in Morehead's recruitment, though: he's playing in Virginia but he's from California. It seemed clear from our conversation that he has a lot of interest in getting closer to home for college and is willing to wait for offers from schools west of the Mississippi.

But in the time since we talked, his approach to recruiting may be changing. Morehead is aware of what's happening around the country, and he has seen eight of the top 20 pro-style QB prospects commit in the last six weeks. Spots are filling up, so he's starting to think that he needs to accelerate his own timeline.

As such, he wants to visit Pitt "as soon as possible."

I asked him if the coaches had given him some dates to consider for visits.

"All TBD, but the sooner the better," he said. "There are commitments taking place for 2021 QB's, so I'd love to get on campus and meet the whole staff and see everything Pitt has to offer."

That quote seems like it's pretty telling about his interest level in Pitt. I asked him if he is feeling pressure to commit soon.

"I mean, pressure to just not miss out on the opportunity. I've never been on campus or met Coach Narduzzi though so before I make a decision I would love to have experienced one or both of those things."

I hope to catch up with Morehead soon for a full interview, but I thought quotes from our text exchange were pretty interesting. Pitt has clearly made a very positive impression on Morehead. The ideal situation would be to get him on campus; I think if Pitt could get a visit out of him, the Panthers would have a very high chance of landing him. But I also have a feeling that if the dead period extends beyond May 31 - or Pitt can do enough on virtual tours - Morehead could pull the trigger sooner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News