ADVERTISEMENT

COVID VS FLU

The sickness that has consumed the once greatest nation the planet has ever seen - another in an endless "it is only old people" screed.

No one on the planet knew what this thing was 7 months ago. It is the worst virus we have seen in our lifetimes due to its mix of transmissibility, long period of gestation, people having it being asymptomatic spreaders and its death rate. It tears arse when it gets into contained environments, similar to Legionarres disease.

EVERYONE wants things to "open" again, but there are these people who think they are so very special in that regard, and have some super secret insight to it all who are the squeeky wheels that are playing the role in making this infinitely more difficult than it has to be.

We are still figuring it all out, but it has been our closest brush with the big one in our lives. You want to wave the flag, babble about patriotism, well this is your moment to shine - think about others for a change.

Have yet to see or hear those wailing endlessly about opening things up aim their anger at the people who made this situation worse than it had to be, have done little more than than play grade school politics with it with and who have had next to no focus on doing the functional things needed to expedite getting us going again.

It hasnt consumed anything or anyone with any sense.
But thats the problem.

There was no clear evidence that the nation should have shutdown, it shouldn't have shutdown, it was a shaming scam, that made a complicated situation Covid more complicated forcing government officials to agree based on shaming to a shutdown/lockdown situation.
There were other and better options than a shutdown to manage Covid.

There were other options.
As facts, the real facts roll out, and they are it will become obvious there was alot of misinformation distributed to frighten the public into complying with shutdown and stay at home orders.

Facts like:
- the actual death rate is under 2% not 4 or 5%.
As testing rolls out its obvious millions and millions have had the virus were asymptomatic, recovered, or thought it was the flu which expands the denominator lowering the death rate.

-healthy people have a minimal risk of death

-transmission on contact isn't a big risk

- gloves don't help washing your hands is more effective

-homemade "masks" are marginally effective. Masks makers advertise the masks keep bacteria out. A virus isn't bacteria and bacteria is larger than virus particles so masks don't shield people from the virus

-masks are unnecessary outside in open spaces

-to contract Covid a person has to be in an enclosed space, in close proximity, in close contact, to an infected person, for a period of 10 to 20 mins.
You don't get Covid by walking by someone in a retail establishment.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can enlighten me. I am looking at the graph.

Never mind....I see that it says percentage. My mistake.

The problem with the assumption is it assumes the denominator is much smaller then it really is. There are reports now that as bad as NYC was hit, 20% of the population likely has antibodies. This is going to spread but the death is not linear as he is presenting.

Last edited:

The critical care doctors that I know (at UPMC) have a much different opinion and have advised me (a healthy, fit middle aged person) to take all steps to avoid contracting the disease.

Are you an MD?

Reactions: pelfrey
I am skeptical of just about anything said on CNN, MSNBC or Fox. All are spinning for the election. I will only speak about what I see from my own experiences. I also listen to friends who are providers across the US. Statistics are constantly massaged so they justify a certain agenda.

I am skeptical of just about anything said on CNN, MSNBC or Fox. All are spinning for the election. I will only speak about what I see from my own experiences. I also listen to friends who are providers across the US. Statistics are constantly massaged so they justify a certain agenda.

I take it then that you are not an MD and you think that we cannot rely on CDC's published statistics?

The critical care doctors that I know (at UPMC) have a much different opinion and have advised me (a healthy, fit middle aged person) to take all steps to avoid contracting the disease.

Are you an MD?
Doctors tell you to avoid the common cold.
That's their job. That's their business.
They don't tell you go get sick.

Healthy people suffer the equivalent of the flu maybe a bit worse 7-10 days and their back in service. First hand experience!

It hasnt consumed anything or anyone with any sense.
But thats the problem.

There was no clear evidence that the nation should have shutdown, it shouldn't have shutdown, it was a shaming scam, that made a complicated situation Covid more complicated forcing government officials to agree based on shaming to a shutdown/lockdown situation.
There were other and better options than a shutdown to manage Covid.

There were other options.
As facts, the real facts roll out, and they are it will become obvious there was alot of misinformation distributed to frighten the public into complying with shutdown and stay at home orders.

Facts like:
- the actual death rate is under 2% not 4 or 5%.
As testing rolls out its obvious millions and millions have had the virus were asymptomatic, recovered, or thought it was the flu which expands the denominator lowering the death rate.

-healthy people have a minimal risk of death

-transmission on contact isn't a big risk

- gloves don't help washing your hands is more effective

-homemade "masks" are marginally effective. Masks makers advertise the masks keep bacteria out. A virus isn't bacteria and bacteria is larger than virus particles so masks don't shield people from the virus

-masks are unnecessary outside in open spaces

-to contract Covid a person has to be in an enclosed space, in close proximity, in close contact, to an infected person, for a period of 10 to 20 mins.
You don't get Covid by walking by someone in a retail establishment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52103747

Pretty much every country on the planet has shut down down but sure no evidence other than the US having by far more deaths than any other country to support our shutting down.

Are you an MD?

An intensivist will always see the worst case scenarios and shape their opinions from their experiences. When I was training at presby, I saw all of the transplants that failed. I had a not so favorable view of bone marrow, double lung and small bowel transplants. When I worked outpatient my views changed. I’m now emergency medicine, so I see the hysteria surrounding this disease as well as the very sick COVID patients. I also see the people afraid to come to the ER with diagnoses that could have been made much sooner. An earlier diagnoses means better outcomes. A delayed cancer diagnoses increases risk of death. Unlike the intensivist, I have to deal with the increase ODs and incidents secondary to alcohol. I see a bigger picture than the 75 yr old nursing home ICU patient intubated on the 6th floor of presby. I have to keep sending patients home with COVID because they don’t need admission. The CCU doesn’t see that type of patient. We currently have 15 elderly patients in Allegheny county on a vent for COVID-19. That involves all the networks. They have been on a vent for awhile.

All I can say is an overwhelming majority of patients I have seen with this virus were not that sick. That is my experience. I did not get that from my brother, sisters, cousin who bangs a CCU resident and I do not regurgitate what we hear on the news. I will end with this example of the news.

I remember years ago when the news reported that a kid died from smoking synthetic marijuana. I remember a politician saying this was a health crisis and legislation was needed to stop the sale of synthetic weed. The kid died because he smoked it from a plastic toy and inhaled the plastic. That never made the news and legislation was pushed forward to ban synthetic weed because of what it did to that kid. Maybe the end justified the means. Maybe this stuff needed band. The whole story was BS and the news ran with it because it served an agenda.

Hence my distinguishing influenza and “flu”

Henze aren't there people waiting for their "drugs' while you are entertaining us?
If so take care of business. You have all night to annoy us!

I'm sure your family would be happy with that so you don't bother them.

Henze aren't there people waiting for their "drugs' while you are entertaining us?
If so take care of business. You have all night to annoy us!

I'm sure your family would be happy with that so you don't bother them.
Your ignorance, stupidity and hatred for all of mankind is astounding. How one little brain can be so broken and demented. The world is stupid except for you. WOW!!!! How can you be so above billions. Tine for some help on the couch little one.

BTW here are the latest actual statistics for Allegheny County. Updated every 2 days.

80% deaths are over 70.

94% are over 60.

None under 40.

https://www.alleghenycounty.us/Health-Department/Resources/COVID-19/COVID-19.aspx

Hard to pinpoint exactly the number that were confined to nursing homes because numbers finally released this last week from PA were inaccurate.

https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/2020/05/pennsylvania-nursing-homes-coronavirus-counts-errors/

But for all intents most everyone agrees 70% of all PA deaths were in nursing home facilities.

Last edited:
You of all people should know efficacy rate of the flu vaccine. 40% is considered a good year. Sorry... that science gotcha again. Covidiot.
Think we’d have any problem with reducing your chance of catching this virus by 40-60%, most jump on it

the fluarix adults is a quad valentine vaccine - meaning they prefict the top most common 4 strains of dozens of influenza types to mitigate the risks .

BTW here are the latest actual statistics for Allegheny County. Updated every 2 days.

80% deaths are over 70.

94% are over 60.

None under 40.

https://www.alleghenycounty.us/Health-Department/Resources/COVID-19/COVID-19.aspx

Hard to pinpoint exactly the number that were confined to nursing homes because numbers finally released this last week from PA were inaccurate.

https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/2020/05/pennsylvania-nursing-homes-coronavirus-counts-errors/

But for all intents most everyone agrees 70% of all PA deaths were in nursing home facilities.

This is the result of the disease not being widespread in the county. People in Phily, NY, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and LA have had much different experiences. See the aggregated CDC data.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Think we’d have any problem with reducing your chance of catching this virus by 40-60%, most jump on it

the fluarix adults is a quad valentine vaccine - meaning they prefict the top most common 4 strains of dozens of influenza types to mitigate the risks .
You of all people should know efficacy rate of the flu vaccine. 40% is considered a good year. Sorry... that science gotcha again. Covidiot.
The 40% effectiveness of flu vaccine is not truly accurate. The effectiveness of flu vaccine vs a specific flu strain is much higher. Flu vaccines are made to combat multiple flu strains each year and frequently certain strains are missed, thus the effectiveness against strains missed would be zero.
A vaccine against Covid 19 (if successful) only has to protect against a single virus which would make the vaccine much more effective. Hopefully similar to other viral vaccines like measles, polio etc. Those vaccines are over 90% effective.

This is the result of the disease not being widespread in the county. People in Phily, NY, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco and LA have had much different experiences. See the aggregated CDC data.

Correct. If anecdotal personal experience is our gold standard, I have never known anyone within my circles to die of influenza. Three covid-19 deaths in past 2 months; family members of friends.

I take it then that you are not an MD and you think that we cannot rely on CDC's published statistics?
No but these networks pick and choose and massage the stats to fit their particular narratives as we see people on here regurgitate those stats according to their political leanings.

An intensivist will always see the worst case scenarios and shape their opinions from their experiences. When I was training at presby, I saw all of the transplants that failed. I had a not so favorable view of bone marrow, double lung and small bowel transplants. When I worked outpatient my views changed. I’m now emergency medicine, so I see the hysteria surrounding this disease as well as the very sick COVID patients. I also see the people afraid to come to the ER with diagnoses that could have been made much sooner. An earlier diagnoses means better outcomes. A delayed cancer diagnoses increases risk of death. Unlike the intensivist, I have to deal with the increase ODs and incidents secondary to alcohol. I see a bigger picture than the 75 yr old nursing home ICU patient intubated on the 6th floor of presby. I have to keep sending patients home with COVID because they don’t need admission. The CCU doesn’t see that type of patient. We currently have 15 elderly patients in Allegheny county on a vent for COVID-19. That involves all the networks. They have been on a vent for awhile.

All I can say is an overwhelming majority of patients I have seen with this virus were not that sick. That is my experience. I did not get that from my brother, sisters, cousin who bangs a CCU resident and I do not regurgitate what we hear on the news. I will end with this example of the news.

I remember years ago when the news reported that a kid died from smoking synthetic marijuana. I remember a politician saying this was a health crisis and legislation was needed to stop the sale of synthetic weed. The kid died because he smoked it from a plastic toy and inhaled the plastic. That never made the news and legislation was pushed forward to ban synthetic weed because of what it did to that kid. Maybe the end justified the means. Maybe this stuff needed band. The whole story was BS and the news ran with it because it served an agenda.
So you are saying politicians take a tragedy or a crisis and use it to support their own narratives? No. Say it ain't so. Our elected officials only have all our best interests at hand. That's why they run for office!

No but these networks pick and choose and massage the stats to fit their particular narratives as we see people on here regurgitate those stats according to their political leanings.

I'm citing the official CDC statistics. Not narratives from CNN or Fox News.

If you believe that the CDC stats are manipulated or misleading, they are likely manipulated in favor of the current administration and thus, if anything, would portray a less severe disease.

Never mind....I see that it says percentage. My mistake.

The problem with the assumption is it assumes the denominator is much smaller then it really is. There are reports now that as bad as NYC was hit, 20% of the population likely has antibodies. This is going to spread but the death is not linear as he is presenting.

No it doesn't. Another lie. The study takes into account multiple seroprevalance studies, including the one from NY.

That NY study is not that favorable, by the way. If only 20 percent of the NY population has been infected, then NY would have to go through this same event three more times before it is resolved (60 percent is herd immunity)!!!

Also, compare that to Pittsburgh, where there has been, at most, a 2 percent infection rate. For Pittsburgh to get to NY, there would need to be 20 times more infections.

Hope that nobody that is asymptomatic visits from NY or DC (where there a 20 percent positive rate) and joins a social event in Pittsburgh.

A colleague of mine posted this today - thoughts?

Age 0-50
2x likely to die from flu vs Covid 19

Age 51-64
similar chances of dying from flu as Covid 19 (in a bad flu year)

Age 65+
Covid is 10x worse than flu in terms dying but sits at 1.3%

These rates are based upon SFR - symptomatic fatality rates which means people WITH symptoms. Approximately 35-50% cases are going to be symptomatic which further lowers the above numbers.

Data was pulled directly from the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

This isn't my post. Like I said, a colleague of mine posted it.

But, you can lower your flu risk with a vaccination, this is not yet possible with COVID 19. Hopefully Pitt will change that.

Uh no. The CDC data basically says the same thing. Cdc now says if you are under 50 the overall death rate for those showing symptoms is . 2 percent or 2 in 1k. The asymptomatic numbers are 35 percent. So out of 1350 people there will be 2 deaths.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52103747

Pretty much every country on the planet has shut down down but sure no evidence other than the US having by far more deaths than any other country to support our shutting down.

The objective of the lockdown was to be sure the hospital system wasn't overwhelmed. That objective was achieved a while ago.

The Cure Cant Be Worse Than The Problem and at this time it is!

A short shutdown was warranted not the extended lockdown that took place in the US.
Hopsitals are nearly empty with many losing money and some shutting down.
NYCity sent the hospital ship away, closed down the Javitz Ctr and many other field hospitals. NYCity on of the largest hot spots doesn't have a hospital crisis, no city in the US has a hospital crisis.

We have more population than the countries you're talking about except China.
America is more mobile than most countries , has a lot of visitors form other countries, is free, has the greatest and largest economy in the world, so a lengthy shutdown like we experienced isn't an option.

The majority of the US deaths occurred in mismanaged nursing homes. If the nursing homes were managed properly the US deaths would have been significantly lower.

PA and CO have reduced deaths admitting some deaths were not from Covid the were people who died from other causes with Covid.

Once the dust settles this will be looked into state by state and the death count will be lowered.

Herd immunity will eventually be what sends the virus packing in the US.
Millions and millions have had the virus and didn't know it, and knew it and recovered.

Unless someone has underlying medical issues 98+% recover, most have mild cases, some don't, and those with serious comorbidities could die.

The key is open up, protect the vulnerable, get the economy back up and running and manage the virus.

Just the other day 600 doctors signed a letter that was sent to Trump urging him to open up the country.

The Doctors say you cant save lives by destroying lives!

This is whats happening.
Americans are losing great jobs with benefits, their businesses,draining savings accounts, having social issues, alcohol and drug problems are emerging, losing homes, divorce, domestic violence, children aren't being properly educated, on and on.

Kids need to get back to school. Colleges and Universities will be filing for bankruptcy along with states as tax revenues decline due to business closures and high unemployment.

Sweden took the right path! Herd Immunity right from the start!

The Cure Cant be Worse Than The Problem!

Last edited:
The objective of the lockdown was to be sure the hospital system wasn't overwhelmed. That objective was achieved a while ago.
A short shutdown was warranted not the extended lockdown that took place in the US.
NYCity sent the hospital ship away, closed down the Javitz Ctr and many other field hospitals. NYCity on of the largest hot spots doesn't have a hospital crisis, no city in the US has a hospital crisis.

America is more mobile than most countries , has a lot of visitors form other countries, is free, has the greatest and largest economy in the world, so a lengthy shutdown like we experienced isn't an option.

The majority of the US deaths occurred in mismanaged nursing homes. If the nursing homes were managed properly the US deaths would have been significantly lower.

PA and CO have reduced deaths admitting some deaths were not from Covid the were people who died from other causes with Covid.

Once the dust settles this will be looked into state by state and the death count will be lowered.

Millions and millions have had the virus and didn't know it, and knew it and recovered.

Unless someone has underlying medical issues 98+% recover, most have mild cases, some don't, and those with serious comorbidities could die.

The key is open up, protect the vulnerable, get the economy back up and running and manage the virus.

Just the other day 600 doctors signed a letter that was sent to Trump urging him to open up the country.

This is whats happening.
Americans are losing great jobs with benefits, their businesses,draining savings accounts, having social issues, alcohol and drug problems are emerging, losing homes, divorce, domestic violence, children aren't being properly educated, on and on.

So in other words it wasn't a "scam."

Everyone wants things open, the difference are the people who scream about it and the people who want and are working to do it safely.

Approx. 70% of ALL cases in PA were in nursing homes. That is Pittsburgh and Philly.

I don't know the numbers for anyone else.

Last edited:
Approx. 70% of ALL cases in PA were in nursing homes. That is Pittsburgh and Philly.

I don't know the numbers for anyone else.

Look at the Beaver County numbers. As of the beginning of the week (I'm sure the numbers are a little different since then) there were approximately 490 total cases and 79 deaths in Beaver County. That was the justification the governor used to keep them in the red zone when the rest of Western PA moved to yellow. Of those, approximately 350 cases and 71 deaths all came from the ONE care home that has been having problems since day one. There wasn't a "Beaver County problem", there was a "Brighton Rehabilitation and Wellness Center problem".

Of course the people there knew that, and started asking the state for help in late March. And it only took until May 11 for the state to finally respond.

This is whats happening.

Kids need to get back to school. Colleges and Universities will be filing for bankruptcy along with states as tax revenues decline due to business closures and high unemployment.

Sweden is nowhere near herd immunity. They just announced only 7% of population have antibodies.

Despite their policies and mortality rate that vastly exceeds similar neighboring countries they also have not avoided financial crisis. Economies can’t operate effectively without near full participation by consumers.

Last edited:

This is whats happening.

Then instead of babbling about it go be part of the solution. Go volunteer at a nursing home and have direct contact with some people that have Covid. You and some of those loons on Fox News preaching this - while working from their basements - should put your money where your mouths are.

Its just the natural course of life, something like this had to happen.
My heart goes out to the people that couldn't grieve properly over their loved ones. I couldn't imagine losing my mother and not being able to hug someone .
It was tough losing my Dad but honestly glad for him that he avoided all the nursing home drama and I was allowed to be with him at the end.

Look at the Beaver County numbers. As of the beginning of the week (I'm sure the numbers are a little different since then) there were approximately 490 total cases and 79 deaths in Beaver County. That was the justification the governor used to keep them in the red zone when the rest of Western PA moved to yellow. Of those, approximately 350 cases and 71 deaths all came from the ONE care home that has been having problems since day one. There wasn't a "Beaver County problem", there was a "Brighton Rehabilitation and Wellness Center problem".

Of course the people there knew that, and started asking the state for help in late March. And it only took until May 11 for the state to finally respond.
Not sure if you saw an article I linked taking about how the Commonwealth totally screwed up the release of nursing home deaths.

"Two days after the state released a long sought-after list of nursing homes where the coronavirus has infected or killed residents or staff, Pennsylvania’s top health official admitted there are errors in the data."

"The secretary’s comments sought to minimize the extent of the problem, as nursing home owners and the associations that represent them say the health department’s data is riddled with inaccuracies and, despite knowing about it for days, officials took little action in response."

Its just the natural course of life, something like this had to happen.
My heart goes out to the people that couldn't grieve properly over their loved ones. I couldn't imagine losing my mother and not being able to hug someone .
This happened to a close friend of mine. Her mother passed suddenly from something not related to Covid-19. She and her family were able to see her briefly just before she sadly passed. It's very, very sad. Completely unexpected. She's doing as well as could be expected given the circumstance. But, yeah... Totally sucks.

Hence my distinguishing influenza and “flu”

Dont get me started about the “belly fl
Correct. If anecdotal personal experience is our gold standard, I have never known anyone within my circles to die of influenza. Three covid-19 deaths in past 2 months; family members of friends.

Don't forget when you switch over to the other screen name. It happens occasionally and is hilarious. I hope you create multiple names for enjoyment and not to make it appear that others agree with you. Maybe the "Your so vain" was actually about you.

I haven’t look at numbers recently but the only death under 50 in our region had multiple comorbidities and was medically fragile before the virus. I was at the COVID testing site on the Southside multiple days checking out the screening process. We were all shocked by the lack of severe patients they were sending us. Most looked like seasonal allergies or mild flu. The people I saw on 6th floor of presby were mostly people that had multiple medical issues going into COVID season. I remember when we had 9 flu fatalities in one week from previously healthy patients. I said to a colleague to imagine if 9 people died from COVID that did not have a long list of comorbidities. It would make front news. The influenza fatalities did not make front page

This is what most people are missing. The media is sensationalizing this Wuhan flu and tossing out different data every day, it seems. Most is wrong. If people knew what was really happening in hospitals and not what is being reported by the media, they'd have a entirely different outlook about this virus. And the media refuses to report reality.

Reactions: PITTF2
Yes, there could never be a third wave! Except in the 1918 pandemic.
death-chart.jpg

Plus Buffet with the herd immunity nonsense. Without a vaccine, it would require approximately 70% of the U.S. population to be infected with Covid19. Currently the estimates on the high end are 10% infected. That resulted in 100,000 deaths.
So increase infections by an additional 60% and do the math on the extra deaths.

And that is assuming it's a one and done disease. That hasn't been established with certainty as yet.

Sweden, deaths per million is 387 which is even higher than the U.S. at 267. Yeah, they've been a roaring success.

https://www.france24.com/en/2020051...y-has-caused-an-amplification-of-the-epidemic

Reality is not a scare tactic. Scientists warn that without a vaccine, there could be a third wave. Why does that make it lunacy?
Because we partly through wave 1 and we have no idea if there will be a wave 2 so wave 3 is a long shot.

There probably wont be a vaccine there's not flu vaccine but by the time you frightened virus fans see a wave 3 there will be immunity built up in America and the virus will be a nothing.

You people think this virus is just hanging around outside your door waiting to hit you in the head the moment you step out of your house.

As many as saying once the millions and millions are found to have Covid, had Covid, 40% are asymptomatic, the denominator will increase reducing the death rate to around 1.8%.

Additionally PA and CO reclassified, reduced deaths due to a realization people are dying with Covid but not from it.

The death count will drop over time once this is looked into when the dust settles.

The future waves are pure speculation.

I bet you're worried about the killer hornet invasion immediately following Covid. You get to wear a full bee mask and suit with that one.
People who like looking like a jacka-s with gloves,faceshield and mask will love the killer hornet scam.
The fake liberal media is working on how they might introduce that pandemic I mean disaster to screw up America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT