ADVERTISEMENT

cowards and sellouts

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
I am looking on the secondary market sites (StubHub, Seat Geek, etc.) and there are tickets available in like 75% of the sections, all over the stadium. If you eliminate the student sections and visitor sections, which don't have tickets available, like 90% of sections have tickets available. This tells me a lot of Pitt fans bought tickets and are selling them on the secondary market to make a quick buck, rather than going to the game. Likely a lot of full/partial season ticket holders, and especially those season ticket holders that bought the 'extra' seats for the game with the sole intent to resell them. I am adjusting my expected hoopie turnout accordingly.

Reactions: FireballZ
I am looking on the secondary market sites (StubHub, Seat Geek, etc.) and there are tickets available in like 75% of the sections, all over the stadium. If you eliminate the student sections and visitor sections, which don't have tickets available, like 90% of sections have tickets available. This tells me a lot of Pitt fans bought tickets and are selling them on the secondary market to make a quick buck, rather than going to the game. Likely a lot of full/partial season ticket holders, and especially those season ticket holders that bought the 'extra' seats for the game with the sole intent to resell them. I am adjusting my expected hoopie turnout accordingly.
It’s terrible that people are trying to get a few extra bucks in a difficult economy?

Did you look for the Tennessee game? Is it any different (other than the prices being a lot less)? Have you looked at the secondary market for the Steelers home games? I bet that is pretty similar, too.

I mean I completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to go to the stadium and hang out with those drunk hillbillies trying to fight you. Especially if you have kids.

same reason 80% of our fanbase would never even consider driving an hour south next year to go to their stadium. They take the fun out of it with their vulgarity.

Even on a holiday weekend when you might expect many to take Friday off, there still has never been particularly great enthusiasm in Pgh for Thursday games. Maybe a big late season Steelers game with the vintage Ravens matchups, but rarely do others draw SRO crowds. You always see a good bit of yellow. Obviously even the prospect of a ‘rivalry’ game isn’t boosting that fervently. I’ll say again that yinzers in general and even a portion of Pitt fans don’t care as much about playing WVU then they would about PSU or ND. It’s always been the Consolation Rival.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
This may surprise you -
Lots of folks have blocks of seats just in case -for the few games when everyone can attend -
So they sell the extras .

my neighbor has a few in the east club she’s selling all season because she tore her Achilles

Cowards? hahaha

Maybe you don't look at stubhub often but the available tickets look extremely limited with many having extreme prices.

Coward Cowards GIF - Coward Cowards School GIFs

https://tenor.com/view/breaking-bad-walter-white-bryan-cranston-coward-disappointed-gif-4024901

I used to sit next to a different opposing fan every week. And then the dude who owned the tickets would show up for like Notre Dame and Penn State.

If you're an out-of-towner or have a ton of familial obligations, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to support the program with season tickets and then sell the games you can't attend. You don't really have a say in who buys them on those sites.

If you're doing it just to profit, eh... whatever, I guess. I just hate when the sanctimonious homers on this board who live in Pittsburgh and call others trolls for having realistic takes are the ones not attending. I can't remember the last Pitt home game I missed.

I used to sit next to a different opposing fan every week. And then the dude who owned the tickets would show up for like Notre Dame and Penn State.

If you're an out-of-towner or have a ton of familial obligations, I guess it's not the worst thing in the world to support the program with season tickets and then sell the games you can't attend. You don't really have a say in who buys them on those sites.

If you're doing it just to profit, eh... whatever, I guess. I just hate when the sanctimonious homers on this board who live in Pittsburgh and call others trolls for having realistic takes are the ones not attending. I can't remember the last Pitt home game I missed.
If you’re going you’re not the problem
There are plenty here who are local and are tv only fans

Yep, that's what chaps my caboose. There really aren't many excuses not to attend other than laziness. You can go for almost free. It's 6 or 7 Saturdays per year; you can at least go to 5 of them.

It absolutely feels like an obligation at times. Like, I wanted no part in going to that New Hampsire game last year. But you just show up.

I get that college football games are long, but you can leave home and be back in under 5 hours total if you're within a half hour of downtown.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Yep, that's what chaps my caboose. There really aren't many excuses not to attend other than laziness. You can go for almost free. It's 6 or 7 Saturdays per year; you can at least go to 5 of them.

It absolutely feels like an obligation at times. Like, I wanted no part in going to that New Hampsire game last year. But you just show up.

I get that college football games are long, but you can leave home and be back in under 5 hours total if you're within a half hour of downtown.
I get your point but it's not always that simple. You cannot get a ticket for tomorrow night for almost free. Also, some people have jobs that require them to show up tomorrow and Friday.

It doesn’t tell you shit. It’s the way any game is where demand is high, and there are 68k tickets out there. Those secondary market tickets will also be bought by the Pittsburgh area event crowd. People that are Pitt fans, but are coming to a rare game for them since it’s a big event.

Reactions: PittMan 72
It's not Pitt FANS doing that. Pitt actually has a contract with the secondary sellers that they will give them x amount of tickets per game. It's PITT and secondary sellers doing this. So lay off the actual fans.

Reactions: JED_72
I get your point but it's not always that simple. You cannot get a ticket for tomorrow night for almost free. Also, some people have jobs that require them to show up tomorrow and Friday.

Well you can't go tomorrow for almost free because it's already sold out. So attendance won't be an issue tomorrow.

And I totally get there will be special circumstances at times. I am referring to the people who are both local and have no other obligations (i.e. actively choose to just "chill" and watch it on tv instead of going).

It's not Pitt FANS doing that. Pitt actually has a contract with the secondary sellers that they will give them x amount of tickets per game. It's PITT and secondary sellers doing this. So lay off the actual fans.

I don't know if that's the case tomorrow. I know I bought two extra for a game a few years ago, and it was obvious that it was Pitt just selling on the secondary market, because the a huge percentage of the tickets available were in the student spillover section in the 500 level.

I assume they do that to distort the demand and keep the secondary prices higher. Same thing as what musical artists are doing now. Instead of selling all the tickets and letting the consumers churn a profit off the secondary markups, they're releasing limited quantities, letting people buy in fear of getting shut out and scarf them up, and then releasing a few more, etc. All while withholding lots of tickets to sell on the secondary market, too. They claim it's to negate scalpers, but they're full of shit. It's so they can become the scalpers they pretend to despise. At least the real ones assume some level of risk. But what the current ticketing agencies/musical acts are essentially doing is manipulating demand, which is akin to insider trading and crooked as all hell.

Reactions: Bubby6
Strange how some on this board keep referring to WVU fans as "hillbillies", post photos of toothless
people in overalls, etc. If WVU fans are buying all these secondary site tickets, they must have a lot
of spare cash tucked away. The people we look down on in these posts must be doing something
right to spend that kind of money on a football game. Bought my tickets on a secondary site several
months ago for less than what the single game tickets went for when Pitt released them. Would I
resell? No way.

• Haha
Strange how some on this board keep referring to WVU fans as "hillbillies", post photos of toothless
people in overalls, etc. If WVU fans are buying all these secondary site tickets, they must have a lot
of spare cash tucked away. The people we look down on in these posts must be doing something
right to spend that kind of money on a football game. Bought my tickets on a secondary site several
months ago for less than what the single game tickets went for when Pitt released them. Would I
resell? No way.
Not really, WVU fans are the most devoted in all of college sports. If there was a metric to track this, I'm sure WVU fans spend a higher portion of their income on WVU sports than any other school.

Not really, WVU fans are the most devoted in all of college sports. If there was a metric to track this, I'm sure WVU fans spend a higher portion of their income on WVU sports than any other school.
When their median income is 32k for the state - it’s not saying much

don’t worry , Uncle Sam is maintaining their basic infrastructure for them

You guys really are suckers for the PSU-adoring media who harp on attendance all the time because their team shats it’s bed in their big games every year. Pitt plays in a huge stadium in a city with pro football and hundreds of other activities. It’s fans /alumni are accustomed to the pro sports world and give that their priority. It is likely not going to change. I couldn’t care less if it does either. I enjoy the product on the field, not who is or isn’t in the stands. Ignore these creeps. They worship rapists as their gods. The worst of them have a place in hades waiting for them.

Some people find ways to do things and others find excuses not to do things. Pitt has too many people in the latter category. All I know is our crew of 8 will be there.

Reactions: ThePanthers
resell? No way.
Nobody said there wasn't money in dealing moonshine and meth

I think you're trying too hard.

The idea that ticket buyers plan to resell at a profit is an issue that only good programs have

Enjoy the chaos

When their median income is 32k for the state - it’s not saying much

don’t worry , Uncle Sam is maintaining their basic infrastructure for them
The state of California pays a very significant portion of West Virginia’s bills. They don’t realize that. The height of stupidity.

I started up again refereeing football last season. My weekends are booked until at least late October. I'm going to the Brawl. Maybe the last two home games I wont be officiating. Otherwise I'll be there. Coincidentally. I officiated football in 2018 and 2021. Both ACC Coastal Champs years. I see a trend. Hail to Pitt!!

This is pretty standard for just about anyone. I've had Steelers season tickets for a long time and in recent years, there are not many regulars in our section. Maybe 10-20 people in the immediate area. Everyone else comes and goes buying tickets on the secondary market.

I mean I completely understand why someone wouldn’t want to go to the stadium and hang out with those drunk hillbillies trying to fight you. Especially if you have kids.

same reason 80% of our fanbase would never even consider driving an hour south next year to go to their stadium. They take the fun out of it with their vulgarity.
Some of you are such weaklings, I make it a point that the hillbillies be scared to be in the stadium with me and my kids.

You do realize the baby boomer-glory years fans are getting older.
Games are a lot more fun for the younger crowd.
I had Pitt and Steeler tix for 40+ years.
I also live in South Carolina.
But , if I was in the Burg, I still would go to the game. A lot of people my age want to, but can’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT