ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd said its official

WannyandWalt

Freshman
Oct 10, 2020
TEXAS and Oklahoma are gone to SEC , so does ACC add WVU /ND possibly and call it a day , I believe ACC needs to be proactive, not sure how they want to go about this all. Things are changing for sure

Reactions: HailToPitt725
TEXAS and Oklahoma are gone to SEC , so does ACC add WVU /ND possibly and call it a day , I believe ACC needs to be proactive, not sure how they want to go about this all. Things are changing for sure
We’ve been trying to add ND for years. The only way they are joining is if all this conference shifting makes it difficult for them to get into the playoffs and scheduling decent opponents.

We’ve been trying to add ND for years. The only way they are joining is if all this conference shifting makes it difficult for them to get into the playoffs and scheduling decent opponents.

So you don't feel this might force their hand ? What about WVU and or Kansas ? I know things are changing but not sure how lol

TT, OKST, TCU, and either Houston or Baylor to the Pac 12

The Big Ten will invite FSU and Clemson. Whether they accept or not is another story.

From Yahoo Sports

The ACC ate bad deal from ESPN to get a linear network. Now it is frozen for two decades in an antiquated agreement, as the ACC gives schools more than $32 million per year.

Phillips needs to do something dynamic to blow up that deal and get back to the bargaining table. Those options are limited, and ESPN isn’t going to be eager to give up a sweetheart deal on its end.

The loss of Texas as an option is a huge blow to the ACC’s ambitions, as multiple sources indicated that the ACC was caught by surprise Wednesday. The ACC’s other big play was Notre Dame, but the league failed to use any leverage it had on Notre Dame as a quasi-member the past few years. The new College Football Playoff proposal doubles as a security blanket for Notre Dame’s independence, which means little incentive for it to find a league home. Especially with its own lucrative TV deal coming.

Last edited:
Not 1 person knows what will happen next for ACC.
Big 10 will act too.
Some are saying 32 team alliance with Pac 12.

Big 10 will act too.
A 32 team alliance is intriguing, I'm assuming it would be 4 "divisions" of 8 teams that makes some sort of geographical sense.

Two things are guaranteed.

1) the big ten will not sit on the sidelines. They will expand.

2) there may still be 5 conferences, but there really will only be 2. The b10 and Sec will tower over the rest.

If Pitt is serious about the future of football, and I see no evidence that they are, they should be doing everything in their power to get out of the ACC, and into the Big 10.

Otherwise, Pitt football will be a forgotten relic in this new world.

Two things are guaranteed.

1) the big ten will not sit on the sidelines. They will expand.

2) there may still be 5 conferences, but there really will only be 2. The b10 and Sec will tower over the rest.

If Pitt is serious about the future of football, and I see no evidence that they are, they should be doing everything in their power to get out of the ACC, and into the Big 10.

I agree that Pitt should try to join the B10. PSU shouldn't be able to stop it just like TAM couldn't stop Texas.

But... they wont.

Reactions: TheFormula
One thing that might hurt ND is if all of the power conferences felt they had to go to 10 conference Games. That would leave only 2 non conference cup cakes for home games. Notre Dame might have a hard time filling out a schedule of 12 games that had true difficulty and that would hurt them as far as being a top 12 playoff team.

And just what could Pitt do to even make it into the top ten choices? I doubt the Big Ten wants another Rutgers.

Reactions: jctrack
Nothing. The ACC isnt forming some alliance with the Pac 12. That's ridiculous.
It's not as ridiculous as the PAC12 adding schools like Baylor or TCU, which everyone keeps throwing out there. Or that the Big 10 is going to make a knee jerk move and add lesser schools to match the SEC's 16.

Big 10 will act too.
That will be great as interest in major college football will be reduced over time as there will be only 32 relevant teams.

College football has a huge market because more than 100 schools are in the top level.

One thing that might hurt ND is if all of the power conferences felt they had to go to 10 conference Games. That would leave only 2 non conference cup cakes for home games. Notre Dame might have a hard time filling out a schedule of 12 games that had true difficulty and that would hurt them as far as being a top 12 playoff team.
But they’d still get into a 12-team playoff going 11-1 or 12-0 against an easy schedule that is cobbled together. The playoff needs to be 6 or 8 teams and then each conference needs to play 10 conference games to get ND to consider.

Reactions: happjack
The Hoopties 🤦‍♂️ Pass
The ACC must think bigger imo
UCF is better than WV

Reactions: WannyandWalt
It's not as ridiculous as the PAC12 adding schools like Baylor or TCU, which everyone keeps throwing out there. Or that the Big 10 is going to make a knee jerk move and add lesser schools to match the SEC's 16.
The Pac 12 needs more markets. They will add OKSt and TT and probably 2 of 3 of TCU, Baylor, Houston. Lots of eyeballs in Texas. Getting 3 Texas schools into that struggling league will be a coup.

ND is the only big fish (must add) program out there. If the Hoopies were a must add, then they’d already have a spot in the SEC, Big 10, or ACC.
Need to add 2 schools, not 1. WVU > UCF > USF. ND is obviously the other school youd try to add, but who knows if theyd join.

With a 12 team playoff, wouldn't there be even less incentive than before for ND to join a conference?
That is exactly my point. The ACC needs to hope it goes to a 6 Team Playoff, and the bowls stay in tact with payouts to players to provide incentive. Then these new mega conferences expand to a 10-game conference schedule.

That will be great as interest in major college football will be reduced over time as there will be only 32 relevant teams.

College football has a huge market because more than 100 schools are in the top level.

Other than with the top 20 schools or so, interest in college football has been reduced over the past few years, just because of the conference alignment nonsense a few years back. This will put the final nail in the coffin. Teams on Pitt's level will be able to have stadiums around 30,000 capacity because few people other than the long standing stalwarts will even watch their games. And there are many more of those types of teams than there are Clemsons, Alabamas and O$U's out there. I think (just my opinion) we've been seeing this waning of interest except with the top teams for a while now.

Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia (or Texas or Okla)

Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs.

Pitt is looking more like the Pirates with every conference move.

We either get in the Big 10 or the disinterest will make us Temple.

That is exactly my point. The ACC needs to hope it goes to a 6 Team Playoff, and the bowls stay in tact with payouts to players to provide incentive. Then these new mega conferences expand to a 10-game conference schedule.

And what's Kansas going to tell them???? But, But, But... basketball....

Missouri wanted to join the Big Ten very, very badly before they got into the SEC. If I were the Big Ten, I'd go after Missouri....

Reactions: pittdan77
Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia (or Texas or Okla)

Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs.

Pitt is looking more like the Pirates with every conference move.

We either get in the Big 10 or the disinterest will make us Temple.
We have no idea about what’s going on behind the scenes. I guarantee you that this situation is not being ignored by Heather…. Count on it…

Reactions: JSSTartan
A&M is probably very unhappy about this. They might be open to listen as well
I wouldn't be shocked if A&M and Missouri left for the Big Ten. The SEC may already know this is a possibility but figures Texas + OU > A&M + Missouri. And honestly they might actually WANT that outcome as 16 is too many

Reactions: JSSTartan
How long until you throw out a thread claiming you predicted everything that eventually happens?
That's not a prediction.

I will predict that ACC teams will get Big Ten offers though I'm not predicting they'll leave. I don't have a strong feeling either way.

ADVERTISEMENT