ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd said its official

at what age do men think they have it all figured out ?
for me ......not yet and im 43.... i truely want to here some responses.

IMO PItt wouldnt be a bottom feeder in the BIG 10 .

HARDLY. I would love to see PItt in the BIG 10 .
The only thing i know , is that Heinz would be sold out almost every game being in the Big 10.
I just hope the ACC gets a couple decent schools after this new bomb settles.
Historically, Pitt has not fared well against the Big 10. Pitt’s overall record against the Big 10 since 1972 is 11-19 for a winning percentage of .367.

Pitt versus the Big 10 since 1972: Illinois 2-0, Iowa 1-3, Michigan State 0-2, Minnesota 2-0, Northwestern 1-2, Ohio State, 1-6, Penn State 2-6 and Purdue 2-0. Pitt is 0-2 versus Nebraska but at that time of those games, Nebraska wasn't in the Big 10.

Pitt adds nothing to the Big 10. TV Market? No, Penn State provides the Pittsburgh TV market for the Big 10.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Big 10 tried to get into the state of Texas. TCU? Would Texas A&M leave the SEC for the Big 10?

I could see B1G and SEC continuing to add teams. It COULD come from PAC for B1G but geography isolates the PAC so much from all of this. It’s also a very weak conference.
The PAC12 isn’t a weak conference, their football has been down but that’s mainly due to their marquee school USC making bad decisions the past decade. The biggest issue with the B1G adding PAC12 schools is that they’d have to take a lot of them, does the B1G want to be the conference that makes the jump to 20 or 22 teams?

Reactions: JSSTartan
Historically, Pitt has not fared well against the Big 10. Pitt’s overall record against the Big 10 since 1972 is 11-19 for a winning percentage of .367.

Pitt versus the Big 10 since 1972: Illinois 2-0, Iowa 1-3, Michigan State 0-2, Minnesota 2-0, Northwestern 1-2, Ohio State, 1-6, Penn State 2-6 and Purdue 2-0. Pitt is 0-2 versus Nebraska but at that time of those games, Nebraska wasn't in the Big 10.

Pitt adds nothing to the Big 10. TV Market? No, Penn State provides the Pittsburgh TV market for the Big 10.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Big 10 tried to get into the state of Texas. TCU? Would Texas A&M leave the SEC for the Big 10?
sometimes , you gotta role the dice .
ala the Men that made this country what it is.

Reactions: cbpitt2

The B1G or PAC12 have no interest in private religious schools with small fan bases like TCU and Baylor. Texas A&M being so mad that they bail on the SEC and try to get into the B1G seems like a long shot, but who knows maybe they’re down for road trip to places like New Brunswick, NJ and East Lansing, MI.

If the Big 10 makes a move, I can't see it for just any program. SEC is on the verge of adding two blue bloods, including one of about 4 teams capable of competing for a championship on a yearly basis. Imagine countering those two with teams like UVa, UNC, or Kansas. They're going to want a huge brand in addition to expanding the market.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
TEXAS and Oklahoma are gone to SEC , so does ACC add WVU /ND possibly and call it a day , I believe ACC needs to be proactive, not sure how they want to go about this all. Things are changing for sure
ND isn’t joining any league.

Well I would bet you are correct for now, but I also believe their hand will be forced soon....
What situation would have to occur for Notre Dame to finally come on board? Money obviously, but if the ACC was about to expire they would have a decision to make. All of their other sports need a home and I can't see the Irish playing in a glorified AAC. Likely a last resort move, but when people say never, I always cringe. Forever is a long time.

What situation would have to occur for Notre Dame to finally come on board? Money obviously, but if the ACC was about to expire they would have a decision to make. All of their other sports need a home and I can't see the Irish playing in a glorified AAC. Likely a last resort move, but when people say never, I always cringe. Forever is a long time.
If the NCAA dissolved and ND could play for the championship.

The GOR probably won’t matter if a conference just completely collapses under the weight of a mass exodus. Like what you’re about to see in the Big 12.

But that isn’t going to happen in the ACC if for no other reason than there isn’t anywhere to mass exodus to for all these schools.
People dont understand what a GOR is.

Schools agree to grant the TV rights to their home games to the conference....till 2036 in this case. The thought is that then it wont be worth it for a raiding conference to add a team because lets say the Big Ten takes FSU and Clemson....the OSU at FSU and Michigan at Clemson games will still be ACC-controlled games. The Big Ten wouldn't receive any additional inventory but have 2 more mouths to feed. That said, this has never been tested in court. And a league like the Big Ten could just decide to eat the additional revenue losses that FSU and Clemson would bring for the long-term profits

The PAC12 isn’t a weak conference, their football has been down but that’s mainly due to their marquee school USC making bad decisions the past decade. The biggest issue with the B1G adding PAC12 schools is that they’d have to take a lot of them, does the B1G want to be the conference that makes the jump to 20 or 22 teams?
It is fairly weak. Last year, USC was openly discussing leaving the conference if the financial picture didn't improve. The schools are very upset with their time slots as well. It's network has been a financial disaster. Their geographical isolation is protecting them.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
It is fairly weak. Last year, USC was openly discussing leaving the conference if the financial picture didn't improve. The schools are very upset with their time slots as well. It's network has been a financial disaster. Their geographical isolation is protecting them.
Exactly right about the geographic isolation. It saves the PAC because no one wants any of the schools with exception of USC, UW and UO. Just too far away. It’s a really bad league in football and men’s hoops (despite success in NCAA tourney....which doesn’t mean it’s a good league...just like success in bowl games).

Pitt will never be in the Big 10. Previous commissioner said expansion only made sense if it brought new markets and they feel PSU brings PA. I don't see this thought changing with new commish. Kansas or Missouri bring the KC market so I could see one of them being asked. Kansas makes most sense, but their football is an absolute mess. But every conference needs jobbers

Reactions: cbpitt2
Pitt will never be in the Big 10. Previous commissioner said expansion only made sense if it brought new markets and they feel PSU brings PA. I don't see this thought changing with new commish. Kansas or Missouri bring the KC market so I could see one of them being asked. Kansas makes most sense, but their football is an absolute mess. But every conference needs jobbers
Pitt may never be in the B10, but anything that anyone said or felt 5 years ago will have zero to do with it.
College football now is like a board game.
If 5 years from now Alabama was in the B10, and PSU was in the SEC, wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Exactly. Money. That's why I think if they ever join a conference, they will join the Big 10. It may come to that eventually, but they are going to hold out as long as possible.

The ACC should be proactive here and make a move to add WVU & Okie State. If they wait until they are forced to make a move, it's already too late.

It's foolish to assume the SEC won't come after Clemson & FSU. This isn't about TV markets, at this point. This is about controlling the sport. If the SEC wants the CFP expanded, consider it expanded.

The ACC should be proactive here and make a move to add WVU & Okie State. If they wait until they are forced to make a move, it's already too late.

It's foolish to assume the SEC won't come after Clemson & FSU. This isn't about TV markets, at this point. This is about controlling the sport. If the SEC wants the CFP expanded, consider it expanded.
Do you have a fetish for mullets? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082

If they really wanted to be aggressive, they should send out some feelers to the Pac 12. I’m talking USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, etc.

If the SEC’s end-goal is to create a nationwide super league, it’d be in the ACC’s best interest to start accumulating as many remaining brand names not under the SEC or Big Ten’s affiliation as possible. Long-term, the remaining super conferences would likely consolidate. If the ACC can be part of that discussion, hopefully that means more of their schools being included in whatever goes unfolds.

ACC not happening

ACC not happening
Which would be a huge mistake on the part of the ACC. WVU is probably the only school that the ACC could bring in where a few other member schools would actually be excited to see a matchup against.

I don't think Clemson or FSU is going to be around much longer.

If they really wanted to be aggressive, they should send out some feelers to the Pac 12. I’m talking USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, etc.

If the SEC’s end-goal is to create a nationwide super league, it’d be in the ACC’s best interest to start accumulating as many remaining brand names not under the SEC or Big Ten’s affiliation as possible. Long-term, the remaining super conferences would likely consolidate. If the ACC can be part of that discussion, hopefully that means more of their schools being included in whatever goes unfolds.
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I think the Big 12 will obviously start reaching out to fill the void, but like the old Big East, I don't think they can put together anything that will be viable long term.

I don't know that the SEC wants to create a nationwide super league, but they are going to have the clout to control the direction of the sport and rake in the money.

What does WVU bring? Televisions, academics.

The state is bleeding with the continuing loss of population. The highest in the nation.
So what, that means nothing now in the new world of streaming. WVU fans living anywhere in the country will stream games, adding revenue.

The next round of realignment will likely focus more on “quality” and less on TV market shares as more people are dropping cable. Conferences aren’t going to need to have a few shitty schools in large markets for the few cents attached to the cable subscribers in their area.

Take for example Rutgers in the Big 10. The Big added them to try to get in the NYC market. If the little lady in Apt 10A wants HGTV, the Big 10 Network might be bundled with it, although she never watches a day of it. That’s how that worked last time.

Conferences will now go for more “quality” … exciting matchups weekly, probably right out of the gate week one. I didn’t mean just WVU fans across the country streaming WVU games. I mean anyone across the country streaming any college game. Would you stream Rutgers vs Syracuse, or WVU vs Pitt or Clemson? Would you stream any Rutgers game ever? Now the NYC, DC etc markets don’t seem as important.

The SEC didn’t need OU and UT, but they knew where this was going and scooped them up before the Big 10 could do it. I suspect the SEC made a good sales pitch… “contracts are expiring within a few years, they’ll be 4 power conferences, come with us or be in the 2nd best”… Why else would OU and UT leave a conference where they ruled the roost, to be 5th, 6th fiddle in the SEC?

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
So what, that means nothing now in the new world of streaming. WVU fans living anywhere in the country will stream games, adding revenue.

The next round of realignment will likely focus more on “quality” and less on TV market shares as more people are dropping cable. Conferences aren’t going to need to have a few shitty schools in large markets for the few cents attached to the cable subscribers in their area.

Take for example Rutgers in the Big 10. The Big added them to try to get in the NYC market. If the little lady in Apt 10A wants HGTV, the Big 10 Network might be bundled with it, although she never watches a day of it. That’s how that worked last time.

Conferences will now go for more “quality” … exciting matchups weekly, probably right out of the gate week one. I didn’t mean just WVU fans across the country streaming WVU games. I mean anyone across the country streaming any college game. Would you stream Rutgers vs Syracuse, or WVU vs Pitt or Clemson? Would you stream any Rutgers game ever? Now the NYC, DC etc markets don’t seem as important.

The SEC didn’t need OU and UT, but they knew where this was going and scooped up OU and UT before the Big 10 could do it. I suspect the SEC made a good sales pitch… “contracts are expiring within a few years, they’ll be 4 power conferences, come with us or be in the 2nd best”… Why else would OU and UT leave a conference where they ruled the roost, to be 5th, 6th fiddle in the SEC?
They won’t be 5th or 6th fiddle in SEC. Since they’ll be in SEC, they’ll retain best recruits in TX AND get kids in the Deep South. There’s no 2 schools to recruit TX better....except Alabama with Nick Saban (and Ohio St with Urban Meyer....who masterfully reached into TX for studs). They’ll be top 2-3 programs in SEC and will also move ahead of Alabama once Saban is gone. Georgia is the school that will start to kill it once they get an elite coach (which they don’t have). The number of elite recruits in the entire state of GA is stupid. Easily best in the country in terms of recruit/population.

Make no mistake, TOSU and UT are the kings of college football brands. Only Bama WITH SABAN compares.....and is obviously the best program in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT