ADVERTISEMENT

Daequan Hardy, offered By PSU

More likely not enough speed and not enough size.

The kid is a great high school player but weights 150#s and runs a 4.65.
This kid looks like a baller to me. Unless there is some off-field issue I don't know how you can look past a local kid with such athleticism.

IDK, his other offers are MAC level or below. The kid needs to add 25-35 pounds and keep his quickness.

This kid looks like a baller to me. Unless there is some off-field issue I don't know how you can look past a local kid with such athleticism.

Those offers are not commitable. Also 247 lists a verified 40 yard dash at 4.5.

We simply do not have any ships open. He’ll be in the transfer portal next year anyway if we want to check him out again.

They were never in play- directly from a coach.

247 is a reputable recruiting service which I have seen mentioned here many times. I linked their offer list. Perhaps some of those offers are no longer commitable. Take it for what it's worth. I'lll leave it at that.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I love wpial players better than most, but he's too thin and weak to play at Pitt or PSU. He's plenty fast enough, just going to struggle staying healthy being so thin.

You have to figure that some of these guys are flat out telling us they have no interest in us up front. So if we don't make an official offer, it can't be officially turned down...

Or they didn't think he would be a productive P5 player (like every other P5 school not named pedst). At this point only 1 P5 school offered him a scholarship so he took it.

Good for him.

You have to figure that some of these guys are flat out telling us they have no interest in us up front. So if we don't make an official offer, it can't be officially turned down...

or the fact that we offer local kids usually last,no reason why pitt shouldn't be the first offer for these local kids if we are interested

Franklin sees that Penn Hills has produced talent. He goes in and tells coach he's being disrespected and the WPIAL is being disrespected and that PSU knows better and takes a very marginal kid. Meanwhile, Pitt is bringing in a kid from New York that is rated below 80 on 247 that can't really be explained other than he's 6' tall and can dunk or something. BOOM. The next kid who is decent from Penn Hills is an automatic favorite for PSU.

I don't know if this is what really happened but unless this kid is an absolute steal, it's a long play that probably ends up with the kid transferring to RM or IUP and Penn Hills coaches talking up PSU for the next ten years. That's why I mentioned in another thread that this last minute kid from NY has to drive the "WPIAL is still great football" guys bonkers.

kid is a heluva high school football player -- and has legit speed - but easy to see why Pitt and so many others didn't offer...

155 lbs is so thin. And does he have the frame to bulk up?

Reactions: BigBird80
He'll never get on the Nitter gameday football field until he graduates and gets a Nitter football field maintenance job.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Franklin sees that Penn Hills has produced talent. He goes in and tells coach he's being disrespected and the WPIAL is being disrespected and that PSU knows better and takes a very marginal kid. Meanwhile, Pitt is bringing in a kid from New York that is rated below 80 on 247 that can't really be explained other than he's 6' tall and can dunk or something. BOOM. The next kid who is decent from Penn Hills is an automatic favorite for PSU.

I don't know if this is what really happened but unless this kid is an absolute steal, it's a long play that probably ends up with the kid transferring to RM or IUP and Penn Hills coaches talking up PSU for the next ten years. That's why I mentioned in another thread that this last minute kid from NY has to drive the "WPIAL is still great football" guys bonkers.
That strategy worked out beautifully at PR for Pitt when we took DiNucci. Hmmmm.....it actually had the opposite effect.

It is only one guy but it seems more likely it's what I said... local prospects have never been more sour and are likely telling our coaches outright that they have no interest. Therefore we are laying off and not even giving offers in some cases, to save the face of being turned down. But that's a losing prop too because of what Dan77 said. The coaches and teammates get asshurt and the next 4 star we might really want is even more poisoned against Pitt.

In short, give up on the local region, until/ if we make a splash somehow. Winning cures a lot of ills. But it has to be significant winning, as ive said. 7-6 with a bowl loss isn't that. It's 3 years min of 10 plus wins.

Considering the amount of "reaches" in this class, you would think there might be room to offer a kid who dominated his state highschool championship game and comes from a local school that produces talent every year. What is happening with Hardy and Devonshire further alienates Pitt and local programs. We have evidence that Narduzzi is not a good recruiter, but Pitt has clearly become an after thought for most locals and he is partially responsible for that.

This is kind of reminds me of not offering Journey Brown. It will be interesting to see how those two make out ultimately.

Considering the amount of "reaches" in this class, you would think there might be room to offer a kid who dominated his state highschool championship game and comes from a local school that produces talent every year. What is happening with Hardy and Devonshire further alienates Pitt and local programs. We have evidence that Narduzzi is not a good recruiter, but Pitt has clearly become an after thought for most locals and he is partially responsible for that.

Yes. It makes no sense to take Dennis, a kid with offers from no one, as a fourth LB in class and pass on Hardy. Narduzzi just seems like a guy who can’t recruit and build a relationship. When is the last time he came in later in a recruitment and stole a kid from a rival? Unless you count Rutgers as a rival I can’t remember.

It is only one guy but it seems more likely it's what I said... local prospects have never been more sour and are likely telling our coaches outright that they have no interest. Therefore we are laying off and not even giving offers in some cases, to save the face of being turned down. But that's a losing prop too because of what Dan77 said. The coaches and teammates get asshurt and the next 4 star we might really want is even more poisoned against Pitt.

In short, give up on the local region, until/ if we make a splash somehow. Winning cures a lot of ills. But it has to be significant winning, as ive said. 7-6 with a bowl loss isn't that. It's 3 years min of 10 plus wins.

About a third of the class isn't good enough to compete in the ACC. But if you're going to burn a scholarship on a kid you know is a huge reach I'd burn it on the local kid. I get what @DiehardPanther is saying about DiNucci but I still think it's worth a shot.

Not enough size or speed for a D1 player...

He can go keep Lamont company on the bench...

You probably should fact check that comment.

Yes. It makes no sense to take Dennis, a kid with offers from no one, as a fourth LB in class and pass on Hardy. Narduzzi just seems like a guy who can’t recruit and build a relationship. When is the last time he came in later in a recruitment and stole a kid from a rival? Unless you count Rutgers as a rival I can’t remember.

About a third of the class isn't good enough to compete in the ACC. But if you're going to burn a scholarship on a kid you know is a huge reach I'd burn it on the local kid. I get what @DiehardPanther is saying about DiNucci but I still think it's worth a shot.
Here's the thing though, which I said above. I have the feeling we ARE smart enough to offer the local if it came down to two fairly pedestrian choices ... but the kid himself may have told US "No Thanks", either in the past or just this week. Like other locals are doing lately.

Reactions: pittdan77
I'm willing to take a chance on an undersized, slower prospect if they show up on Friday nights. Hardy had a good year and had one of the best individual performances by a HS player that I've ever seen in the championship.

Not enough size or speed for a D1 player...

He can go keep Lamont company on the bench...

It was said that Hardy ran a 4.4 as a H.S. Jr at a PSU camp. Hardy seems to be similar in stature as Quadree Henderson listed at 5'9" 172 lbs coming out of H.S. and French, both small in statue coming out of H.S. but having shown to be playmakers in H.S. Both were lower rated recruits that have done well at Pitt.

Journey Brown was 5'11" 200 lb and broke the Pa 100m record.He ran a 10.43 100 meters.Who wouldn't take a chance on him? WVU and Pitt I guess!

Regarding Journey Brown, he was closer to 190 coming out of H.S. but has made significant progress in the PSU strength and conditioning program and is currently listed at 5'11 205 and looks the part of a strong college RB. Sure he had track speed, but it should be noted that he also showed pretty well on the field in H.S., having run for 700+ yards and 11 TD's in ONE game. Hard to believe there wasn't more demand for him coming out of H.S.

Had Pitt offered this Kid before PSU they would have been slammed for dumpster diving for a kid who didn’t have any P5 offers

Not true. There was a thread on here last saying Devonshire and Hardy together as a package deal would be good. Also this thread where the majority of posters in it said he would be a nice pickup. People who watched the title game saw he could play, but has a small frame.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/daequan-hardy.143408/#post-2528584

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT