ADVERTISEMENT

Daniels vs Slovis.

We got robbed . Daniels can ball
I don't know if "robbed" is the right word given that I do not think we ever had the inside track on getting Daniels, but after our opening game, I thought Daniels definitely could ball. He looked better than Slovis did that game.

Reactions: Kassie1975
If I am not mistaken, Daniels is with an OC he is familiar with. Slovis is not familiar with Cignetti meaning there is going to be some bumps in the road. I still believe they will figure it out and I think Slovis is a good quarterback. He wouldn't have put up those numbers at USC if he wasn't.

If I am not mistaken, Daniels is with an OC he is familiar with. Slovis is not familiar with Cignetti meaning there is going to be some bumps in the road. I still believe they will figure it out and I think Slovis is a good quarterback. He wouldn't have put up those numbers at USC if he wasn't.
I think he got beat up bad vsTenn and at the very least he has happy feet

I think he got beat up bad vsTenn and at the very least he has happy feet
That’s the issue. Problem is that even when he had really good protection much of the game last week, he was almost paralyzed at times finally making a futile heave into a crowd that had no chance. It appears a major lack of confidence. It’s great the spotlight on Izzy shone so brightly last week, but it was too bad Slovis wasn’t able to make a bellwether throw in the game to renew some of his mojo that he did have the first game and a half. It isn’t surprising, Pickett suffered from the same; he got pulverized early in the last home PSU game and had the same paralysis thereafter and indeed much of the rest of that season and much of the next. It takes a while. Unfortunately we’ll likely will be waiting well into next season for it to happen if it ever does. At least Pickett could make up for his passing yips somewhat with his feet, making him a bit less a liability, but KS cannot.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Caught the first half last night and walked away thinking about the same. No doubt in my mind that we're undefeated and in the top ten with Daniels. Dude can play.

Hell, Baylor's quarterback looked really good, too. I think there are a lot more good college quarterbacks because a lot more high schools are airing it out, so the learning curve is mitigated. When we call Slovis above average, I don't know - maybe we're comparing him to archaic standards. We could certainly do worse, but there are a lot of good ones floating around college football these days.

Reactions: Snyder412
Daniels seems like a legit high-end QB. Slovis is more like a Bill Stull/game manager. He's a decent QB but doesn't give you any advantage at that position. I am surprised people thought he was going to the NFL after this season

Daniels seems like a legit high-end QB. Slovis is more like a Bill Stull/game manager. He's a decent QB but doesn't give you any advantage at that position. I am surprised people thought he was going to the NFL after this season

Honestly, Slovis is the exact opposite of what I thought he would be. I thought he would be more of a good decision-maker hindered by his arm. Turns out he has a plus arm and can't process the game or read a defense.

I don't know if "robbed" is the right word given that I do not think we ever had the inside track on getting Daniels, but after our opening game, I thought Daniels definitely could ball. He looked better than Slovis did that game.
I posted that Daniels was the best QB in that game afterwards.
He help up really well under a lot of pressure and made some darn good throws, particularly earlier on, that kept them in the game.
Still holding out hope for Kedon.

Honestly, Slovis is the exact opposite of what I thought he would be. I thought he would be more of a good decision-maker hindered by his arm. Turns out he has a plus arm and can't process the game or read a defense.
He is a pretty accurate passer, by and large, but he either cant read defenses or guys arent getting open. Probably a little of both.

Reactions: Snyder412

Not being familiar with Cignetti is probably why he chose a Pitt.

I think many big time recruits looking to transfer from a program like USC are going to have the physical skills, but not the rest.

Not being familiar with Cignetti is probably why he chose a Pitt.
I could be wrong, but when Slovis transferred here there wasn’t an Offensive Coordinator. Whipple left and Duzz was looking for another. I thought it was after Slovis got here when Cignetti was hired.

He did show that. He also showed it early on this season. After the pounding in the TN game he lost his confidence, and possibly there is still even fog in his head from the concussion now. Because now, even with excellent time, he seems too go through progressions but not recognize open guys. Either not confident to cut it loose… Or worse no longer able to process what he sees.

I could be wrong, but when Slovis transferred here there wasn’t an Offensive Coordinator. Whipple left and Duzz was looking for another. I thought it was after Slovis got here when Cignetti was hired.

That's correct. Slovis wanted to come into a pro-style offense to develop the traits of an NFL QB.

I still think the learning curve is very steep coming from an Air-raid and Cignetti might need to simplify some things until he's more comfortable.

He did show that. He also showed it early on this season. After the pounding in the TN game he lost his confidence, and possibly there is still even fog in his head from the concussion now. Because now, even with excellent time, he seems too go through progressions but not recognize open guys. Either not confident to cut it loose… Or worse no longer able to process what he sees.

Something is definitely off mentally. There was a play last week where he had two guys open: one about 10 yards downfield and the other about 15 yards downfield. He threw it basically in the middle of the two. I'm still not sure who it was to.

And I don't think he's completed a pass "over the top" all season. Only one I can think of this year was that Yarnell pass to Wayne. Maybe Slovis hit one or two in that GT 4th quarter. I was too enraged to remember it all.

Something is definitely off mentally. There was a play last week where he had two guys open: one about 10 yards downfield and the other about 15 yards downfield. He threw it basically in the middle of the two. I'm still not sure who it was to.

And I don't think he's completed a pass "over the top" all season. Only one I can think of this year was that Yarnell pass to Wayne. Maybe Slovis hit one or two in that GT 4th quarter. I was too enraged to remember it all.
I thought the TD pass to Bradley was pretty good. A good play by him as well. It wasn’t a splash pass play for sure though

Reactions: Millerton24
Daniels has talent. But Slovis beat him out at USC and Daniels transferred because of that, Also, Daniels is high-risk as a player. He throws a lot of dumb passes, including the one with 3 minutes left and leading by 3 last night. He nearly gave that game away. He did give away the Pitt game. So, he seems to be the opposite of a Narduzzi QB.

Reactions: FireballZ
Daniels has talent. But Slovis beat him out at USC and Daniels transferred because of that, Also, Daniels is high-risk as a player. He throws a lot of dumb passes, including the one with 3 minutes left and leading by 3 last night. He nearly gave that game away. He did give away the Pitt game. So, he seems to be the opposite of a Narduzzi QB.

How? Please don't tell me you're attributing that interception to him.

Reactions: Upg bobcat

Yeah, so it's also tough to throw to WRs who are not where they are supposed to be. It seems like they still have guys running the wrong patterns every week.

I'd rather have Daniels, though. Wouldn't you?

That’s the issue. Problem is that even when he had really good protection much of the game last week, he was almost paralyzed at times finally making a futile heave into a crowd that had no chance. It appears a major lack of confidence. It’s great the spotlight on Izzy shone so brightly last week, but it was too bad Slovis wasn’t able to make a bellwether throw in the game to renew some of his mojo that he did have the first game and a half. It isn’t surprising, Pickett suffered from the same; he got pulverized early in the last home PSU game and had the same paralysis thereafter and indeed much of the rest of that season and much of the next. It takes a while. Unfortunately we’ll likely will be waiting well into next season for it to happen if it ever does. At least Pickett could make up for his passing yips somewhat with his feet, making him a bit less a liability, but KS cannot.
I'm hoping the week off and a change of scenery helps Slovis focus and get some of his confidence back. A change of scenery might be good for him.

Reactions: Millerton24
I'd rather have Daniels, though. Wouldn't you?
I will be honest that I thought exactly that during our own game with WVU, even when we won. I just dig the tougher, grittier, draw it up in the dirt guys, that also aren’t afraid to take off. Whip certainly did not let Pickett dream things up but everything else applied to him, and it looked to apply to Daniels’ too.

With the game manager guys like Slovis (or Stull, Tino etc), we need them to make quick smart decisions. Otherwise they aren’t going to dictate the action; they can really only lose a game, not win it. Problem is Slovis is definitely not making the quick smart decisions.

And sad to say he’s fragile. Guys like Savage (and I’ll acknowledge, Tino too To an extent) got downright massacred and staggered back up and kept firing. Daniels’ is better for a team like WVU or us, with questionable talent. He’ll take a licking and keep on ticking. Slovis, as was seen last year, is good with a USC that is loaded everywhere; he’d similarly likely do well at Alabama, maybe LSU like Burrow. He is running with the wasters with us.

I wasn't talking about last night, so let's not build a straw man.

You're chalking that interception against Pitt up to JT Daniels, and that's literally incredible.
I was talking about both last night and Pitt. I'll give you the Pitt interception wasn't on him. But Slovis outplayed Daniels in that game and Daniels failed at the end.

Slovis career and this season only yards per attempt are both better than Daniels (by more than a full yard this year.) Despite the fact our WRs aren't getting open much. I'd side with Slovis though Daniels does probably create more big plays.

The season will likely be over before the "figure it out"

His lack of depth of targets at USC, coupled with the high % of turnover worthy throws he graded out with, were red flags that he can’t read a defense.

I said it in the Addison transfer thread. That was a huge blow for a QB whose reputation is that he locks onto WRs.

He also had shitboats full of luck vs PITT I lost count on plays where the defense got him him and he was basically vertical throwing it up for grabs in a manner that usually results in a pick.

ADVERTISEMENT