ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth 45% 3 PT shooter has close connection to Pitt

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/202...dan-barry-dartmouth-grad-transfer-connection/

Tim O'Toole is his godfather!

Lead the Ivy in assist to TO ratio and 3 point percentage.

Said he only played the point at Dartmouth. I like the sounds of this kid..........especially if Toney ends up leaving. We can put him at the 1, Johnson at the 2, Horton at the 3.

Even if Toney comes back, I'd still play this kid a lot at the point.

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
SG Horton 24 Johnson 10 Okudale 6
SF Toney 24 Horton 6 Champagnie 10
PF Champagnie 20 Jeffress 20
C AKC 22 Brown 18

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/202...dan-barry-dartmouth-grad-transfer-connection/

Said he only played the point at Dartmouth. I like the sounds of this kid..........especially if Toney ends up leaving. We can put him at the 1, Johnson at the 2, Horton at the 3.

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18
Hugley?

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18

Is Hugley redshirting or what?

One thing I’ve learned in all my years as a Pitt fan is that this kid could be HCJC’’s biological son and Pitt wouldn’t be a slam dunk to land him. Just sayin...H2P!
Amen...

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18
Johnson. 28 Barry 12
Horton. 28. Barry 12
Champanie 28 Odukale. 12
Jeffress. 20. Toney 20 OR Toney. 28. Collier. 12
Coulibaly 20 Hugley. 20

One thing I’ve learned in all my years as a Pitt fan is that this kid could be HCJC’’s biological son and Pitt wouldn’t be a slam dunk to land him. Just sayin...H2P!
And this one is not a slam dunk. He made it pretty clear he wants to start and go to the Big Dance. I'm not sure we can offer him either of those opportunities.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18
Settle down goofball.

Reactions: Straight Eye Larry
I'm right there with ya @Protes
Wants to start AND play in March Madness? Probably not happening here unfortunately. His other suitors may not offer it either, so we shall see. It's tough for Capel to sell that to a Grad Transfer. We have Johnson and Horton. There's probably 15+-20 however minutes available, but not as the starter.

Wants to start AND play in March Madness? Probably not happening here unfortunately. His other suitors may not offer it either, so we shall see. It's tough for Capel to sell that to a Grad Transfer. We have Johnson and Horton. There's probably 15+-20 however minutes available, but not as the starter.
Yeah he basically is saying he wants certain amount of minutes, you can't guarantee that to anyone.

If we won 2-3 more ACC games, we could sell the NCAAT legitimately.

That end-of-season slide was disastrous. Was sitting at 6-7 and we had hope. Why do you do this to us Pitt?!?

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18

Injured so he did not play last season. As a result, we do not know if, or to what degree 45% on 3s translates to the new further out 3 point line. Coaches would need to watch a lot of film on that issue.

PG Johnson 23 Barry 17
C AKC 22 Brown 18
Jeffress 20 mins at the game as a 4 man. LOL.

Reactions: Drew1208
Injured so he did not play last season. As a result, we do not know if, or to what degree 45% on 3s translates to the new further out 3 point line. Coaches would need to watch a lot of film on that issue.

He shot 45% 3 years in a row. Its safe to say he is an elite shooter.

is it safe to say the guys guarding him in the ivy league aren't nearly as athletic as the guys that'll guard him in the ACC?

Of course but its the coaches and players job to get a shooter like that open. There's hundreds of unathletic shooters who excel at the major D1 level. I'm surprised nobody has said he cant play D yet.

Of course but its the coaches and players job to get a shooter like that open. There's hundreds of unathletic shooters who excel at the major D1 level. I'm surprised nobody has said he cant play D yet.
Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely take him.
I just don't know we can guarantee what he wants.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Johnson. 28 Barry 12
Horton. 28. Barry 12
Champanie 28 Odukale. 12
Jeffress. 20. Toney 20 OR Toney. 28. Collier. 12
Coulibaly 20 Hugley. 20
Toney isn't staying to play 20 minutes a game. Jeffrees will only get minutes as the season goes on. He's still only 17. Femi is only playing the PG/SG for Pitt. They have no depth there. Pitt's forward depth would be good with drumgoole, jeffrees, and collier.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Toney isn't staying to play 20 minutes a game. Jeffrees will only get minutes as the season goes on. He's still only 17. Femi is only playing the PG/SG for Pitt. They have no depth there. Pitt's forward depth would be good with drumgoole, jeffrees, and collier.
Depthwise, they have reasonably talented bodies but literally no proven production at this level.

Champagnie and X will play over 30 mins a game and Horton (if as advertised) should too. You’re not taking your best players off the floor just to try and keep people out of their feelings. For 21-22, you might as well know now 2 of the dudes on the 20 roster will transfer regardless. Just CBB as it is now. Toney hopefully improves his shooting a bit and you play him 30 plus a game as well. The 5 is the only minutes where it shouldn’t be up for grabs. You split the other minutes up between 2-3 Guys. 7-8 men play then u have 1 or 2 Fillers in a pinch.

Reactions: BFo8
And just to throw further "shade" onto this hypothetical minutes of PT debate--

What if Capel decides, since he will have more so many bigs available, to switch from predominantly a 1-4 style to a 2-3 style to get more size and rebounding on the floor? It may seem highly unlikely right now but it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. If he did that, it would throw this entire debate "into a cocked hat" as that old time expression goes.

And, even if he stays 100% with his 1-4 arrangement, all post minutes likely won't be entirely divided between Brown and Hugley with just a very few for Coulibaly--except maybe in November-December. Some minutes will be found for Amadasun (although they could be only garbage time minutes) and Collier most likely will have to get more PT, and quality PT, than Amadasun--although some/all of what he gets would likely be at forward. The minutes traffic jam at forward which the prognostications in this thread already have (especially on the assumption that Jeffress commits) will become even worse with Collier minutes added.

And just to throw further "shade" onto this hypothetical minutes of PT debate--

What if Capel decides, since he will have more so many bigs available, to switch from predominantly a 1-4 style to a 2-3 style to get more size and rebounding on the floor? It may seem highly unlikely right now but it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility. If he did that, it would throw this entire debate "into a cocked hat" as that old time expression goes.

And, even if he stays 100% with his 1-4 arrangement, all post minutes likely won't be entirely divided between Brown and Hugley with just a very few for Coulibaly--except maybe in November-December. Some minutes will be found for Amadasun (although they could be only garbage time minutes) and Collier most likely will have to get more PT, and quality PT, than Amadasun--although some/all of what he gets would likely be at forward. The minutes traffic jam at forward which the prognostications in this thread already have (especially on the assumption that Jeffress commits) will become even worse with Collier minutes added.
It’s a ridiculous notion to believe 10-11 guys will be getting minutes come ACC play. If there is, prepare for another bad ACC season. We need our stars to step up and play 30 + minutes or we’re gonna be in major trouble.

I think the minutes will be open to competition as it should be. Many of these guys are fairly close talent wise, those who translate that talent to the game will play

Toney is big enough OR good enough to play 30 minutes at the 4. Toney is the 4 not Justin, even though Justin out rebounds him by a bunch.

Jeffress has the potential to be a much better player.

Last edited:
Also why wouldn't Justin and X play starters minutes? 32-34.
You don't get an experienced 3rd guard unless he gets the 24 Murphy was getting pre concussion.

You are probably right about Justin. Odukale probably only plays to provide defense if Justin is really struggling on defense.

that's where you're wrong and don't get it. these kids don't get wide open looks everytime - it's impossible. most of their looks have someone closing out or its contested.

I know plenty of 6'1" guys that can shoot over 40% from deep. dead eye shooters but if you get them into a game they get clamped up.

Obviously this kid is athletic to a certain extent, but it's not shooting practice out there. you need to be able to make contested jump shots in this league.

Reactions: pittjas
This kid:
- plays for a bad Ivy team, in a so-so Ivy League.
- as a whole Ivy players aren't very good
- in general Ivy players aren't very tall so its easier to shoot over them
- most Ivy players aren't the most athletic.
They don't need to be athletic as they accept investment banking jobs, Corporate jobs, and open law, and medical offices.

If this is good news I cant wait for the bad news!

Reactions: BigZeke
This kid:
- plays for a bad Ivy team, in a so-so Ivy League.
- as a whole Ivy players aren't very good
- in general Ivy players aren't very tall so its easier to shoot over them
- most Ivy players aren't the most athletic.
They don't need to be athletic as they accept investment banking jobs, Corporate jobs, and open law, and medical offices.

If this is good news I cant wait for the bad news!

I liked that Loyola (MD) lacrosse player who transferred to play PG for Northwestern after not having played basketball for 4 years. He fit in fine at the major D1 level. Maybe this Dartmouth kid isnt quite as good but he'll be ok in the ACC. Most ACC teams have a player like him.

I liked that Loyola (MD) lacrosse player who transferred to play PG for Northwestern after not having played basketball for 4 years. He fit in fine at the major D1 level. Maybe this Dartmouth kid isnt quite as good but he'll be ok in the ACC. Most ACC teams have a player like him.

Yes they do to!
For handing out the towels and keeping track of statistics since Ivy kids know math.

Its amazing thread after thread, post after post, about how PITT doesnt have ACC caliber players.

This doesn't seem like a good use of a roster spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT