ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth 45% 3 PT shooter has close connection to Pitt

I think the minutes will be open to competition as it should be. Many of these guys are fairly close talent wise, those who translate that talent to the game will play

Of course. That is the way it will be no doubt.

However, if you have enough quality depth (guys who are all able to contribute well) you can try to wear down certain opponents using a lot of pressure defense (which Capel seems to like) without worrying too much about foul trouble to key players.

Whatever transpires, the best thing would be if the talent is there to be able to get out on the break a lot and not have to worry as in the past about having everyone crash the Boards to prevent opponents from getting too many second chance points. Stronger post defensive rebounding would allow that to happen.

Last season Duke out-rebounded its opponents 40.1 to 34.4 (+ 5.7/game). On the other hand Pitt was out-rebounded by its opponents 36.3 to 34.2 (- 2.1/game) with a weaker OOC schedule. That is a differential of nearly 8 possessions per game. If we could even move halfway in Duke's direction with our rebounding (say going from -2 to +2 boards per game vs opponents) it should translate into several more wins, IMHO. Hoping, the addition of Hugley, Collier and Amadasun can make that a team reality.

Reactions: Drew1208
Yeah he basically is saying he wants certain amount of minutes, you can't guarantee that to anyone.

If there is a guaranteed NCAA Tournament team that tells him that he's the starter, more power to him but the kid has to realize that on a team like that, he is very likely to see a minor role. It would take a strange circumstance like a loaded team just needing a guy to dribble the ball up the court and not screw up but then you'd think a team like that would be able to attract a better player.

For a kid from a lower-tier Ivy school, I would think playing for his godfather, who is going to be honest with him about PT, in the ACC, getting rotation minutes and potentially making the NCAAT would be a perfect situation. I mean I don't think we will make the NCAAT but we could sell the fact that we werent that far away. We know we were far away but you say, hey, a couple wins here and there and we're there.

If there is a guaranteed NCAA Tournament team that tells him that he's the starter, more power to him but the kid has to realize that on a team like that, he is very likely to see a minor role. It would take a strange circumstance like a loaded team just needing a guy to dribble the ball up the court and not screw up but then you'd think a team like that would be able to attract a better player.

For a kid from a lower-tier Ivy school, I would think playing for his godfather, who is going to be honest with him about PT, in the ACC, getting rotation minutes and potentially making the NCAAT would be a perfect situation. I mean I don't think we will make the NCAAT but we could sell the fact that we werent that far away. We know we were far away but you say, hey, a couple wins here and there and we're there.
Yeah it should be interesting anyhow. Lots of names are emerging. Pitts involved with almost every guard that has a good 3% shot.

Of course. That is the way it will be no doubt.

However, if you have enough quality depth (guys who are all able to contribute well) you can try to wear down certain opponents using a lot of pressure defense (which Capel seems to like) without worrying too much about foul trouble to key players.

Whatever transpires, the best thing would be if the talent is there to be able to get out on the break a lot and not have to worry as in the past about having everyone crash the Boards to prevent opponents from getting too many second chance points. Stronger post defensive rebounding would allow that to happen.

Last season Duke out-rebounded its opponents 40.1 to 34.4 (+ 5.7/game). On the other hand Pitt was out-rebounded by its opponents 36.3 to 34.2 (- 2.1/game) with a weaker OOC schedule. That is a differential of nearly 8 possessions per game. If we could even move halfway in Duke's direction with our rebounding (say going from -2 to +2 boards per game vs opponents) it should translate into several more wins, IMHO. Hoping, the addition of Hugley, Collier and Amadasun can make that a team reality.
Cannot always use total rebounds as a good statistic. We got out rebounded frequently because we missed so many shots which gives the other team many more chances to get rebounds. If your opponent never misses, you will never get a lot of rebounds. I will not argue against Pitt being a bad rebounding team and we definitely need help.

Cannot always use total rebounds as a good statistic. We got out rebounded frequently because we missed so many shots which gives the other team many more chances to get rebounds. If your opponent never misses, you will never get a lot of rebounds. I will not argue against Pitt being a bad rebounding team and we definitely need help.
Rebounding is all about opportunity. Offensive rebounding is more of an indicator for extra possessions.

We weren't a bad rebounding team, we were a bad defensive rebounding team. We actually were pretty good at getting offensive rebounds. We finished 38th in the country in offensive rebounding percentage. And 349th (that would be fifth worse) in the country in defensive rebounding percentage.

We weren't a bad rebounding team, we were a bad defensive rebounding team. We actually were pretty good at getting offensive rebounds. We finished 38th in the country in offensive rebounding percentage. And 349th (that would be fifth worse) in the country in defensive rebounding percentage.

My guess is we got a lot of offensive rebounds because we faces so much zone. I wouldn't say Capel has a big crash the boards approach, we mostly get back on D like most teams, it's probably more long rebounds are hard for defenders to get out of zone defenses.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Interesting how this rebounding discussion has evolved.;):)

My initial thoughts on better rebounding for Pitt (although I didn't specifically distinguish offensive vs defensive rebounding) was that I was/am hopeful that our influx of new bigs will ultimately result in stronger defensive rebounding from the post position. This then would allow our guards and wings to get out on the break more often because they would not be as needed to contribute to overall team defensive rebounding efforts as they have been these past two years.

Reactions: Tonyt66
My guess is we got a lot of offensive rebounds because we faces so much zone. I wouldn't say Capel has a big crash the boards approach, we mostly get back on D like most teams, it's probably more long rebounds are hard for defenders to get out of zone defenses.

I think another part of it is that a lot of times offensive rebounding is based on just finding the ball and going and getting it whereas defensive rebounding is more "structured", if you will. Defensive rebounders are concerned with finding a man and boxing him out, and then going and getting the ball. We don't do that very well at all. But on the offensive end it's all about just going after the ball. A guy like Champagnie doesn't seem to be the best at boxing guys out, but when he can just see the ball and go after the ball he gets it a pretty good percentage of the time.

Yeah it should be interesting anyhow. Lots of names are emerging. Pitts involved with almost every guard that has a good 3% shot.

It appears Pitt is somewhat involved with like 4-6 Grad Transfers. Maybe a couple others we/the insiders may somehow not know about. Capel really needs to earn his recruiting chops to get a quality guy to come play here. Yes, the 1-2 spots are taken, but there's PT, shots, etc. to be had. Pitt just lost two guards, gains Horton, there's a position there.

Maybe visits can't happen until April, but this stupid coronavirus has be itching for recruiting visits haha.

Capel and the assistants really need to get a higher quality GT than Hamilton, per se.

Per Mike Wilson:
Brendan Barry named Pitt as one of the top schools he's considering.

The Dartmouth grad transfer is a 44.5 percent three-point shooter who is eligible to play immediately.

Per Mike Wilson:
Brendan Barry named Pitt as one of the top schools he's considering.

The Dartmouth grad transfer is a 44.5 percent three-point shooter who is eligible to play immediately.

Shot 0 for 0 on 3s last season after the 3-point line was moved further out because he missed the entire season with injury. Also listed as only 6-2. Given those three factors injury, height and no history at the longer 3-point disctance, we fans cannot know whether he would be able to shoot a high percentage from the longer distance, especially vs ACC defenders. Maybe yes, maybe no?. He might simply be able to contribute no more than Ryan Murphy did rather than be a plus-up.

I am a lot more intrigued by several other taller grad transfer prospects who shot it well last season from the longer distance line that Capel and company are looking at rather than this guy.

Reservations being noted, perhaps he would be a great addition. That's a call for the coaching staff to make.

Shot 0 for 0 on 3s last season after the 3-point line was moved further out because he missed the entire season with injury. Also listed as only 6-2. Given those three factors injury, height and no history at the longer 3-point disctance, we fans cannot know whether he would be able to shoot a high percentage from the longer distance, especially vs ACC defenders. Maybe yes, maybe no?. He might simply be able to contribute no more than Ryan Murphy did rather than be a plus-up.

I am a lot more intrigued by several other taller grad transfer prospects who shot it well last season from the longer distance line that Capel and company are looking at rather than this guy.

Reservations being noted, perhaps he would be a great addition. That's a call for the coaching staff to make.
I'd take a more athletic guy if we could get one.
Considering he didn't play last year and isn't that tall.
But I did find clips, yes they're only clips of him shooting from real deep.

I think it was the last game where I heard the announcers say that Pitt was a good offensive rebounding team. I wanted to check on that but I forgot. I guess sometimes announcers know what they are talking about.

I'd take a more athletic guy if we could get one.
Considering he didn't play last year and isn't that tall.
But I did find clips, yes they're only clips of him shooting from real deep.

I definitely agree with you guys when it comes to him. I would like more size and more athleticism. I also don't like that he didn't play the whole year and now wants to move to a major college that makes me a little skeptical but in saying that it doesn't mean that he can't play but it's so much uncertainty.

I definitely agree with you guys when it comes to him. I would like more size and more athleticism. I also don't like that he didn't play the whole year and now wants to move to a major college that makes me a little skeptical but in saying that it doesn't mean that he can't play but it's so much uncertainty.

Under NCAA rules are coaches allowed to work grad transfers out--kind of an un-official try-out during an official visit? Seems to me with a guy like this you would want to do that, if allowed, before offering a Grad Transfer ship.

I wished you'd stop saying this. Shooting 45% 3 years in a row, even from a shorter 3 point line makes him one of the best pure shooters in the nation. Even if the step-up in competition plus the longer line drops him to 35%, he'd still be the best 3 point shooter on the team. And its very likely he'd be a 38%-42% shooter from 3. Not only that, he is a PG and we need a PG. Johnson needs to play more off the ball.

I wished you'd stop saying this. Shooting 45% 3 years in a row, even from a shorter 3 point line makes him one of the best pure shooters in the nation. Even if the step-up in competition plus the longer line drops him to 35%, he'd still be the best 3 point shooter on the team. And its very likely he'd be a 38%-42% shooter from 3. Not only that, he is a PG and we need a PG. Johnson needs to play more off the ball.
Yes we need take the ball out of XJ’s hands in favor of a guard from a middling Ivy League team! Genius!

Exactly what do you want XJ to do off the ball? Catch and shoot? Run off screens for open shots? This is an awful idea.

I think they can because if I remember this past off season Louisville had recruits playing in there scrimmages before they even signed. If I'm not mistaken someone please shine in if I'm wrong.
Under NCAA rules are coaches allowed to work grad transfers out--kind of an un-official try-out during an official visit? Seems to me with a guy like this you would want to do that, if allowed, before offering a Grad Transfer ship.

Last edited:
Yes we need take the ball out of XJ’s hands in favor of a guard from a middling Ivy League team! Genius!

Exactly what do you want XJ to do off the ball? Catch and shoot? Run off screens for open shots? This is an awful idea.
For sure. With more talent around him and 2 years under his belt X is likely to become what we always wanted. A top notch PG

I hope he becomes Top notch but in order for him to do that he better be practicing that jump shot right now like a 1000 shots a day and improve his decision making but I also have to give X some credit because it looked as though he was improving and it started clicking in by the end.
For sure. With more talent around him and 2 years under his belt X is likely to become what we always wanted. A top notch PG

I hope he becomes Top notch but in order for him to do that he better be practicing that jump shot right now like a 1000 shots a day and improve his decision making but I also have to give X some credit because it looked as though he was improving and it started clicking in by the end.
I was thinking more of getting the ball to the right players but you are correct. His shooting needs to improve.

Travis Branham (@TravisBranham_) Tweeted:
As of this morning, there are now 106 available graduate transfers.

Two averaged 20.0 PPG or more.
Five averaged 15.0-19.9 PPG.
18 grad transfers averaged 10.0-14.9 PPG.

He's not coming but it's not a big surprise to me because he wanted starter minutes but on to the next. I hate that we didn't get that Johnson kid we lost out to Xavier.

Per Twitter feed,
Pitt is now out for 2 grad transfers they were targeting. Nate Johnson, from Gardner Webb, committed to Xavier. Brendan Barry, from Dartmouth, cut Pitt from his list.

He's not coming but it's not a big surprise to me because he wanted starter minutes but on to the next. I hate that we didn't get that Johnson kid we lost out to Xavier.

Per Twitter feed,
Pitt is now out for 2 grad transfers they were targeting. Nate Johnson, from Gardner Webb, committed to Xavier. Brendan Barry, from Dartmouth, cut Pitt from his list.
Still a couple names we were floated around with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT