ADVERTISEMENT

DeAndre Jules now

Oct 25, 2021
Ouch, this one stings. Our starting d-tackles next season are going to be some 243-pound dude from Geneva and a can of Fake Slide Beer.

Some of these guys will end up back at Pitt I suspect some are looking to see how much NIl money they can get. When they find out they’re not in as much demand as they think they’ll be they’ll be back. Jules was decent this year but I’m not sure he’ll have a bunch of high majors throwing money at him. Should be an intersting case

Reactions: TD_6082 and 4upmc
Some of these guys will end up back at Pitt I suspect some are looking to see how much NIl money they can get. When they find out they’re not in as much demand as they think they’ll be they’ll be back. Jules was decent this year but I’m not sure he’ll have a bunch of high majors throwing money at him. Should be an intersting case
Out of those who entered the portal he is prob the only one I would spend NIL $ to bring back. Not because he is great but he was our best DT and the rest of the DT’s left on the roster have not done a thing yet…

IMO Pitt would take him back. He’s not on the NFL radar unless he has a monster year next year. So can’t blame him for trying to get some $ or even getting Pitt to up what they may have offered him…

I don't know how much Morgan actually played this year, but I think he was carted off with a neck injury about midway through the year. I think it was all good as far as his long term prognosis.

I don't know how much Morgan actually played this year, but I think he was carted off with a neck injury about midway through the year. I think it was all good as far as his long term prognosis.
He only missed one game and was a backup. Didn’t put up good numbers. I’m not one to claim to have sources but someone I trust told me he was pretty much not welcomed back. CP/staff were tired of his bitching about PT etc.

Reactions: TD_6082
Older guys are sometimes asked to move on so some younger guys don’t leave in the Portal because their progress/development is delayed.

This is the Portal environment that programs are now faced with,

Sometimes it works. At other times it may not. But if you keep bringing back 5th (and with the Covid year sometimes even 6th) year players, the younger guys on your roster are going to leave in the Portal.

You just have to deal with it. Teams have the opportunity to replace every player who leaves in the Portal. You have to do a good job of that.

Older guys are sometimes asked to move on so some younger guys don’t leave in the Portal because their progress/development is delayed.

This is the Portal environment that programs are now faced with,

Sometimes it works. At other times it may not. But if you keep bringing back 5th (and with the Covid year sometimes even 6th) year players, the younger guys on your roster are going to leave in the Portal.

You just have to deal with it. Teams have the opportunity to replace every player who leaves in the Portal. You have to do a good job of that.

That's clearly not what happened here, though. We've already offered at least one 6th year DT in the portal.

That's clearly not what happened here, though. We've already offered at least one 6th year DT in the portal.
True and that 6th year IVY DT would start next to Jules. As I said in this thread maybe Jules is using this a negotiation tactic to get more $ from Pitt. Do we break the bank for him? No but he’s one guy we should pay because there was nobody else whose done anything at DT.

It’s not unique as players all around the country are doing this. Average first time starters like Jules. And starters like the ND center Zeke Cornell who has started 23 straight games. ND can outbid most but guess the guy can’t hurt himself trying to get even more extra $.

I wouldn't have pushed Jules out, but he's not a big loss either. Dude was so inconsistent that I'd rather play young guys and see if they get better.

I wouldn't have pushed Jules out, but he's not a big loss either. Dude was so inconsistent that I'd rather play young guys and see if they get better.

I think he is when considering what's behind him. He had 7.5 TFL and the next closest DT had like three. Plus Narduzzi did talk him up quite a bit.

I agree he's not great, but that kind of makes this even more depressing. If they're going to pick off just our "good" players, where does this end?

Maybe they won't have a spot if they try and return?

If Jules can get $100k then he made the right move.

Maybe, but I miss the days of guys betting on themselves. Here, he has one of the better d-line coaches in the country as well as an entire staff that is invested in him, a system that has put recent guys in the league, and an obvious path to getting starting reps. If he's going to make the NFL, this is the place to do it. If he wants to treat college football as the end game, then sure - go someplace else for an extra $50K.

I have a feeling that'll happen a lot nowadays. What's the motivation for a recruit who is getting paid hundreds of thousands just to attend a certain college? This whole thing sucks.

Maybe, but I miss the days of guys betting on themselves. Here, he has one of the better d-line coaches in the country as well as an entire staff that is invested in him, a system that has put recent guys in the league, and an obvious path to getting starting reps. If he's going to make the NFL, this is the place to do it. If he wants to treat college football as the end game, then sure - go someplace else for an extra $50K.

I have a feeling that'll happen a lot nowadays. What's the motivation for a recruit who is getting paid hundreds of thousands just to attend a certain college? This whole thing sucks.
And it's probably going to only get worse.

Monday should be an interesting day.

Hes taking the $100,000 and still betting on himself. Smart play

Hes taking the $100,000 and still betting on himself. Smart play

How do you figure? What if he goes to a school that has 3-5 guys at a similar skill level whom the staff recruited and developed a relationship with?

I mean, I guess anything could be framed as betting on yourself. Nate Temple (hypothetically) could walk on for Alabama and bet on himself to win a starting spot. But there has to be some realism injected into this.

How many kids think long term? Its why many athletes are broke after their careers.....But you are absolutely right

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT