ADVERTISEMENT

Deep Thoughts by SMF

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
- I blasted Heather for scheduling this series when it was announced. It was stupid. I said they scheduled 1 guaranteed loss and for no extra fans and no extra buzz. Said the same thing about Wisconsin though they'll probably bring 5K fans. Cincy brought 750. Duquesne would have traveled better. Their is no SOS in college football, well not for Pitt anyway, since we dont compete for the CFP. Pitt should be playing 1 P5 team, 1 FCS, and 2 G5. Playing Michigan State, Iowa, Cincy, Wisconsin, Utah, OK St, etc accomplishes absolutely nothing. You are going to lose and no one in Pgh cares about those teams.

- These are the ONLY P5 teams that Pitt should schedule: PSU, WVU, Ohio St, Mich, Ten, Fla, UGa, Bama, LSU, OU, Texas, USC, Oregon. That's the list. We will lose but we're going to lose to the other teams anyway. At least you get a packed stadium and maybe you pull off a miraculous upset.

- As for the game, I picked Cincinnati because they beat the equivalent of a mid-level MAC team by 53. Scoring margin often tells the tale. I was afraid they were pretty good. 2 minutes into the game, my fear was realized. Watching them live, they were bigger, better, and faster. Looked like a mid-tier SEC team out there with their size and speed. We had our chances but they were significantly better.

- Before I get into my QB analysis, let me first criticize our WRs. I said last week that this is the worst WR core I can ever remember. I'll even go so far as to say you can swap them out with ANY G5 WR core and there'd be no drop-off. UMass, Troy, South Alabama, doesnt matter. Our WRs are interchangeable with theirs. Guys, they werent open all night. I dont know who was covering Means but he had no chance to ever catch a pass. The guy was glued to him. Phil was bad but the WRs are a huge part of the problem.

- The OL was bad. Made Cincy look like an SEC DL. 5 sacks and lots of pressures is inexcusable.

- Phil: If anyone thinks he is better than Kedon Slovis, you need to sign up for that study because you are on crack. He moves a little better, but he has the arm talent of Trey Anderson. I mean, yes, the WRs were never open but he wasnt even close to hitting them. He reminded me of when Chuck Knoblauch wasnt able to throw from 2nd Base to 1st anymore or when Rick Ankiel couldn't throw a strike and had to switch to OF. Its like he has the yips as they say in baseball. He wasnt even close. 10-32 is maybe the worst QB performance I have ever seen. I cant think right now of a worse one. And 2 of his 10 completjons were terribly underthrown balls we got lucky on.

- Satterfield Year 1 js better than Narduzzi Year Whatever. I said it before and I will say jt again. Narduzzi is 7-5 Pat with a lucky Covid Year for Kenny. We can do worse than Narduzzi. But we wjll forever be 7-5 or may luck into 8-4 every once in awhile. If you're ok with that, cool. This year, however is going to be 5-7 or 4-8 due to the schedule and lack of anything resembling an FBS offense.

- I'd give Jurkovec one more game. He needs to beat WVU. If not, its Villeaux time. And we arent going to beat WVU.

I'm back and forth on the receivers. Yes, I thought they were blanketed most of the night. But..

1) They had a step on a half dozen vertical routes and Jurkovec missed them.

2) Some of Jurkovec's reads were so bad.

3) Cignetti is a problem.

I'm back and forth on the receivers. Yes, I thought they were blanketed most of the night. But..

1) They had a step on a half dozen vertical routes and Jurkovec missed them.

2) Some of Jurkovec's reads were so bad.

3) Cignetti is a problem.

I thought they should have fired Cignetti after last season. Going to say it again. You hire Brennan Marion, Jordan Addison doesn't have any 2nd thoughts and you have a better OC than Cignetti.

Reactions: Steeltheone
I thought they should have fired Cignetti after last season. Going to say it again. You hire Brennan Marion, Jordan Addison doesn't have any 2nd thoughts and you have a better OC than Cignetti.
They why didn’t Addison follow Marion to his new gig? Addison left because he was offered significant NIL money and he was going to play with his friend Caleb

Reactions: Tanat and LivinWell
They why didn’t Addison follow Marion to his new gig? Addison left because he was offered significant NIL money and he was going to play with his friend Caleb

Addison didnt know Caleb Williams. Pitt matched. The new QB + new OC made Addison question things. If Marion was there, he doesn't even look elsewhere.

Reactions: Steeltheone
- I blasted Heather for scheduling this series when it was announced. It was stupid. I said they scheduled 1 guaranteed loss and for no extra fans and no extra buzz. Said the same thing about Wisconsin though they'll probably bring 5K fans. Cincy brought 750. Duquesne would have traveled better. Their is no SOS in college football, well not for Pitt anyway, since we dont compete for the CFP. Pitt should be playing 1 P5 team, 1 FCS, and 2 G5. Playing Michigan State, Iowa, Cincy, Wisconsin, Utah, OK St, etc accomplishes absolutely nothing. You are going to lose and no one in Pgh cares about those teams.

- These are the ONLY P5 teams that Pitt should schedule: PSU, WVU, Ohio St, Mich, Ten, Fla, UGa, Bama, LSU, OU, Texas, USC, Oregon. That's the list. We will lose but we're going to lose to the other teams anyway. At least you get a packed stadium and maybe you pull off a miraculous upset.

- As for the game, I picked Cincinnati because they beat the equivalent of a mid-level MAC team by 53. Scoring margin often tells the tale. I was afraid they were pretty good. 2 minutes into the game, my fear was realized. Watching them live, they were bigger, better, and faster. Looked like a mid-tier SEC team out there with their size and speed. We had our chances but they were significantly better.

- Before I get into my QB analysis, let me first criticize our WRs. I said last week that this is the worst WR core I can ever remember. I'll even go so far as to say you can swap them out with ANY G5 WR core and there'd be no drop-off. UMass, Troy, South Alabama, doesnt matter. Our WRs are interchangeable with theirs. Guys, they werent open all night. I dont know who was covering Means but he had no chance to ever catch a pass. The guy was glued to him. Phil was bad but the WRs are a huge part of the problem.

- The OL was bad. Made Cincy look like an SEC DL. 5 sacks and lots of pressures is inexcusable.

- Phil: If anyone thinks he is better than Kedon Slovis, you need to sign up for that study because you are on crack. He moves a little better, but he has the arm talent of Trey Anderson. I mean, yes, the WRs were never open but he wasnt even close to hitting them. He reminded me of when Chuck Knoblauch wasnt able to throw from 2nd Base to 1st anymore or when Rick Ankiel couldn't throw a strike and had to switch to OF. Its like he has the yips as they say in baseball. He wasnt even close. 10-32 is maybe the worst QB performance I have ever seen. I cant think right now of a worse one. And 2 of his 10 completjons were terribly underthrown balls we got lucky on.

- Satterfield Year 1 js better than Narduzzi Year Whatever. I said it before and I will say jt again. Narduzzi is 7-5 Pat with a lucky Covid Year for Kenny. We can do worse than Narduzzi. But we wjll forever be 7-5 or may luck into 8-4 every once in awhile. If you're ok with that, cool. This year, however is going to be 5-7 or 4-8 due to the schedule and lack of anything resembling an FBS offense.

- I'd give Jurkovec one more game. He needs to beat WVU. If not, its Villeaux time. And we arent going to beat WVU.
Kenny Pickett's 4-16 for 8 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 2 lost fumbles in the ACC Championship immediately stands out as being worse.

Kenny Pickett's 4-16 for 8 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT, and 2 lost fumbles in the ACC Championship immediately stands out as being worse.
That was a miserable game. In addition to the score it poured down rain all night. With that said at least that was against a team that won the national title and the guy was a freshman.

Reactions: PittPoker
I actually believe he left because he knew the Cignetti offense was going to cost him a lot of money in the NFL draft.
Anyone who doesn’t believe that getting a load of Cig and Slovis in the spring didn’t have a major role in Addison leaving is too naive to even have a discussion with. Larger role than the money? Doubtful but Pitt supposedly put a pretty good package together to keep him, and he never even considered it. The timing of his decision to enter the portal alone says a lot.

That job was the single worst performance by an offensive coordinator I’ve ever witnessed. He called that game scared, which should have had him fired on the spot.

Still puzzled why Cincy didn’t travel well. They brought thousands for the Big East “bowl” and have been better than good since then.

Still puzzled why Cincy didn’t travel well. They brought thousands for the Big East “bowl” and have been better than good since then.

Because they dont have any fans. That was a once in a lifetime game for them as in a an undefeated conference championship game for them on the road 4 hours away. Another reason why they are a terrible add for the Big 12. I mean they will be good in that league but nobody cares to watch them.

I've been beating the scheduling drum for years. You think it would bother Narduzzi but he made some kind of macho statement when asked like "bring em on we'll play them". No one seems to get it there

I've been beating the scheduling drum for years. You think it would bother Narduzzi but he made some kind of macho statement when asked like "bring em on we'll play them". No one seems to get it there

I just dont understand the purpose of playing these games. Next we will schedule Kansas State and Texas Tech. You are 100% guaranteeing one loss and probably losing both since our record in these games is something absurdly bad like 3-20 or something like that. And NOBODY cares. The game last night was on the friggin CW opposite Texas and Alabama. There's no point. Play Ball State, get the W and be pumped going into WVU week.

ox·y·mo·ron
/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/

noun

1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).
    "Deep Thoughts by SMF"

The game last night was on the friggin CW opposite Texas and Alabama.
I didn't even realize that, I'm always so laser focused on only the Pitt game, I never even pay attention to what else is on.

But I agree, just schedule automatic wins, the polls don't pay attention to who you play, they will just vote for anyone with a zero in the loss column.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT