ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive shortcomings

djbpitt

Sophomore
Jun 28, 2001
UCF was the first game this year I've seen live. Two things are painfully obvious:

-- We have only one defensive end (Weaver) who can contain the outside and turn a play inside and the LBs can clean it up. Hendrix is one of the biggest disappointments in recent years.
-- Maybe even more so than the DBs, this group of LBs is painfully deficient. Idowu seems like he's a man on an island, playing hard and getting some results. Wirginis is inconsistent at best. And Zeise ... isn't worth discussing. He's overwhelmed and late to every play.
-- How long has it been since we had a true "read and react" LB with ball skills like McKillop? Probably 10 years, because that's what we
-- Chase Pine has potential. What would we have to lose by moving him to first-team "money" linebacker and benching Zeise? Nothing.

The front seven hardly ever gains a stalemate let alone disrupt any play. LB has had gaps for several years and they still have a converted wr and and a walkon starting.
The Dline is big disappointment more so since they paid and then promoted Partridge there.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
It appeared to me that UCF an American Conf ( not D1/P5) had better talent than PITT at most every position.
They had size and speed at most positions and they were well coached.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
The Nickel package didn't seem to make us any better against the pass, just even worse against the run. It's just a bad defense with no studs. Again.

Reactions: djbpitt
It appeared to me that UCF an American Conf ( not D1/P5) had better talent than PITT at most every position.
They had size and speed at most positions and they were well coached.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!
This is the most telling statement and what has been apparent most this (and last) year. Even though the PS game was close at the half, it was apparent who had more talent. GT did not that kind of talent advantage. Was there any question who had the better talent even though Pitt has beaten Miami & Clemson the last couple of years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT