ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders

I dont really agree. I dont think Deion can turn Syracuse into Alabama but if he can go to a place like Syracuse and land consistent Top 20 classes, I think they'd quickly elevate to an 8-4/9-3 type of team which would be a massive upgrade. As long as you have quality assistants, the HC doesn't need to be really good at actually coaching. Their job is to get talent.
Then why Syracuse and not Pitt?

I guess because it would embarrass the admin and chancellor, by making it look like Pitt wants to be good at sports :)

Then why Syracuse and not Pitt?

I guess because it would embarrass the admin and chancellor, by making it look like Pitt wants to be good at sports :)

I didn't want to be the first to say it. He would have to have at least 2-3 seasons of success at Jackson State. But if he does that and I like what I hear from his interview, then yes, I'd hire him here. But, again, I'd have to see much more of him and would want to make sure he is for real with this coaching thing.

Reactions: Pitt79
He's still relevant, even young kids know who he is. He would definetely be a recruiting asset even if he can't coach

A lot of people, myself included, thought Howard would be a massive drop off from Belein who was an exceptional college coach. Howard didn't seem to have the background or credentials for that hire. He has proven the doubters wrong. I still think Phil Martelli has a lot to do with their success. He was a really good college coach.
Seems to be the plan. Great recruiting head coach. Great coaching assistant coach.

I dont really agree. I dont think Deion can turn Syracuse into Alabama but if he can go to a place like Syracuse and land consistent Top 20 classes, I think they'd quickly elevate to an 8-4/9-3 type of team which would be a massive upgrade. As long as you have quality assistants, the HC doesn't need to be really good at actually coaching. Their job is to get talent.

The HC still needs to be a leader. Deion is a clown and we've already seen, what, two news stories in three games where it was focused on him?

Calipari is a very good coach. You don't beat the other blue bloods with the same blue chippers as you as regularly as Calipari does without being pretty damn good.

If he was at some other school, he wouldn't win near as big and he wouldn't have a lineup loaded with 5 stars.
🤨🤔He got to the Final Four at UMASS and Memphis. His top players were Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose.

What are you talking about?

Last edited:
Reactions: rockypanther
Calipari is a great coach. We’ve seen plenty of coaches recruit great talent and do nothing with it. Cal knows what he’s doing.

Reactions: bobfree
If Cal is just an avg coach then Capel is HORRID the worst , if we are equalling their achievements

Those where top future NBA players
That's my point. You said he wouldn't have a lineup of 5 stars at those other teams.

I wasn't familiar with the star ratings as a child, but Cal definitely had top players at UMASS and Memphis. I stayed in Mass when Camby was there and there were other top players on that roster like Lou Roe, Derek Kellogg, and Puerto Rican players Edgar Padilla and Carmelo Travieso. Cal had tremendous talent at UMASS.

The Memphis teams were loaded with talent other than Rose...
Dorsey and CDR are the two other top players I remember on that team.

Nick Saban sucks too. He just knows how to get good players. If he were at Pitt, I think he would likely average only 10.5 wins per year.

so back to the subject of this thread, Prime Time ... his Jackson State Tigers lost on Saturday, so they are 3-1. They have defeated winless Grambling (0-3), winless Mississippi Valley State (although MVSU has only played one game), and Eddie Waters (NAIA until 2019). They lost to currently 1-1 Alabama A&M. I can't say that Deion is my pick to ascend the college football coaching ranks and be the guy to lead the next great dynasty.

so back to the subject of this thread, Prime Time ... his Jackson State Tigers lost on Saturday, so they are 3-1. They have defeated winless Grambling (0-3), winless Mississippi Valley State (although MVSU has only played one game), and Eddie Waters (NAIA until 2019). They lost to currently 1-1 Alabama A&M. I can't say that Deion is my pick to ascend the college football coaching ranks and be the guy to lead the next great dynasty.
He's only been on the job 5-6 months

Does Faulk have ANY coaching experience? While these colleges think making hall of famers their next head coach is going to get them lots of wins... an actual good head coach who was barely a decent player will beat them.
It's more about generating buzz around the school. Stimulating interest and donations 💰to the school.

Folks are talking about these schools now, when they weren't before.

I'm seeing multiple Jackson St games on national tv. That's exposure these schools were not getting before. All of this exposure translates to possible increases in enrollment and funding. Think big picture.

I'm seeing multiple Jackson St games on national tv.

Yeah, but the big reason you are seeing that is because they played in the spring, when the big boys weren't playing. Next year when they go back to playing in the fall you aren't going to be seeing many Jackson State games on national tv.

Yeah, but the big reason you are seeing that is because they played in the spring, when the big boys weren't playing. Next year when they go back to playing in the fall you aren't going to be seeing many Jackson State games on national tv.
The majority of the general public would not be aware of these games if Sanders wasn't there. I highly doubt ESPN would bother to air as much games without Sanders. They would all be streamed and maybe at least 1 or 2 tape delayed on ESPNU.

Last edited:
The majority of the general public would not be aware of these games if Sanders wasn't there. I highly doubt ESPN would bother to air as much games without Sanders. They would all be streamed and maybe at least 1 or 2 tape delayed on ESPNU.

Well sure. And that's exactly how you are going to see their games next year when they go back to playing in the fall. The games will be streamed, and ESPNU frequently shows a tape delayed HBCU game late on Saturday nights. That's what they will be back to, even with Sanders on the sidelines.

ESPN is not showing Jackson State - Alabama State instead of Wisconsin - Iowa or Pitt - Virginia or Florida - Mississippi, no matter who is coaching Jackson State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT