ADVERTISEMENT

Dejan K claims the pitt duquense beef stems from pitt donors

ratking17

Head Coach
Mar 15, 2009
He says it comes from above Lyke and Capel. I find that surprising to say the least. I have no clue if he truly knows something as he doesnt really cover pitt but he posted that this morning on his site.

He says it comes from above Lyke and Capel. I find that surprising to say the least. I have no clue if he truly knows something as he doesnt really cover pitt but he posted that this morning on his site.

Sorry guys. You know what I have said. Duquesne is not an "equal program" or anything close to that. They don't warrant a joint home game or a home and home. They finally listened to me.

It's still a bad look or Pitt. But to those septuagenarians still hanging around the local media, these aren't local kids playing local kids. It is not the Nelson twins and Billy Knight and Keith Starr. Sam Clancy vs Bruce Atkins. BB Flenory or Norm Nixon vs Kirk Bruce and Tom Richards.

Pitt/Duquesne back in the day were often conference rivals, but also a celebration of local basketball. That has long since passed.

I’m 34 and can’t really recall a time I cared all that much about Duquesne. The City Games at PPG (Consol) were fun but had an inauthentic, manufactured feel. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t really care one way or the other about playing Duquesne.

I’m 34 and can’t really recall a time I cared all that much about Duquesne. The City Games at PPG (Consol) were fun but had an inauthentic, manufactured feel. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t really care one way or the other about playing Duquesne.

I went to Pitt in the early to mid 90's and never remember being excited for the Duquesne game. I agree with it being a manufactured feel. They are trying to create a "rivalry", but there has not been one since the 1970s. Pitt is something like 38-6 over the last 40 times we played.

Duquesne is heading in the right direction and we should play them every year. This is good for the city imho

I keep hearing that it is good for the city. How? We don't play in the same conference, we don't recruit the same players, we don't play on the same level (P5 vs. mid-major), and there aren't a lot of local players on either team.

I don't have anywhere near 98 problems. But of those I do have, not playing Duquesne is definitely not one of them.

giphy.gif

Amazing that all 5 schools in philly play but we’re scared or too good to play Duquesne. I don’t give a SH*T what the record was for 40 years. Same excuse penn state uses not to play us.

Villanova has won 2 natty’s in the last 5 years and isnt too high and mighty to play Lasalle Penn and St Joes.

The fact SMF opposes the city game should prove to all you naysayers we SHOULD be playing it.

As a Pittsburgh native and sports fan — I think the city game is a nice way to get people excited about basketball, which is definitely the lowest sport on the totem pole here. It helps Duquesne get exposure too.

However as a Pitt fan and alumni — I couldn’t care less if we play them or not.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It's still a bad look or Pitt. But to those septuagenarians still hanging around the local media, these aren't local kids playing local kids. It is not the Nelson twins and Billy Knight and Keith Starr. Sam Clancy vs Bruce Atkins. BB Flenory or Norm Nixon vs Kirk Bruce and Tom Richards.

Pitt/Duquesne back in the day were often conference rivals, but also a celebration of local basketball. That has long since passed.
BINGO!!!

Amazing that all 5 schools in philly play but we’re scared or too good to play Duquesne. I don’t give a SH*T what the record was for 40 years. Same excuse penn state uses not to play us.

Villanova has won 2 natty’s in the last 5 years and isnt too high and mighty to play Lasalle Penn and St Joes.

The fact SMF opposes the city game should prove to all you naysayers we SHOULD be playing it.

I don't oppose it. I am in favor of it as a 2 for 1 with their home game being played at PPG.

I would also be in favor of the old joint home game at PPG format taking the place of a cupcake game that we literally lose money on. What I am absolutely not in favor of is the Duquesne game taking the place of WVU or another P6 home and home series. However, it doesnt appear those games will be happening either as Capel seems to be scheduling very easy until he can get this thing built back up.

Yeah, I think the Philly schools being able to pull it off despite having a national heavyweight in the mix should disqualify any argument against doing so here.

If they want to mix it up, the idea of an annual local tourney just makes so much sense. Pitt, Duquesne, RMU, and WVU at PPG for a weekend in November or early December. Two games on Friday then a consolation and championship on Saturday would be such a fun weekend and a great event to promote local hoops.

I don't oppose it. I am in favor of it as a 2 for 1 with their home game being played at PPG.

I would also be in favor of the old joint home game at PPG format taking the place of a cupcake game that we literally lose money on. What I am absolutely not in favor of is the Duquesne game taking the place of WVU or another P6 home and home series. However, it doesnt appear those games will be happening either as Capel seems to be scheduling very easy until he can get this thing built back up.
We lost to Nichols State and Niagara. It doesn’t get easier than that.

Playing it at PPG is the move because it’s a “neutral site” game. Helps with ncaa. Playing at home for absolutely free would be the other move.

I’m not the first to point this out but for those who support this 2 for 1 thing - simmer down when PSU says the same about football.

I’m not the first to point this out but for those who support this 2 for 1 thing - simmer down when PSU says the same about football.
And we certainly don’t make as much money off a home game as PSU does in football.

This whole notion is ridiculous though. We’re going to believe that Capel and Lyke are taking scheduling advice from donors? That’s seriously what we’re going with? That’s the most far fetched thing I’ve ever heard.

After last years excuse JC & Heather said we would play them this year...they should honor their word. Especially with athletic departments struggling financially and Duquesne offering to play for free. PITT could take the 100 K they save by not having to pay another team and donate the $ to more Covid research. Plus it will be a big draw as post JD era only UNC, DUKE and CUSE have drawn more fans for games played in PGH. So apparently it does have interest despite what some say.

Ben, JD and even the clown Stallings didn’t think they were above playing Duquesne. As stated JC either thinks we are above Duquesne (we are not as we will pay a MEAC team 100 k) or he is scared despite what he says. Past history means nothing as Dambrot has done a heck of a job turning them around. Talk about a major rebuild...at least Pitt was good before the clown Stallings coached here. Pitt is the better team but Duquesne is capable of beating Pitt. Hughes, Carry and Weathers all can ball. IMO Pitt has more talent but Duquesne plays better together and harder. Out of 10 games they (their current team) can take 2 from Pitt and will be close in a few others.

If Nova is not too good for Lasalle then Pitt has no excuse. And it will actually help our ranking as it will be a quality win if we play to our talent level.

If promoting college basketball in Pittsburgh is the goal, instead of just scheduling "The City Game", bring back "The Steel Bowl" and make it a 2-day weekend tournament.

Invite two respected college basketball teams outside of the ACC and A10 conferences that local fans would enjoy seeing in person. For example, Big East teams would be a natural draw.

Pitt plays one and Duquesne plays the other on opening night. Losers play the Consolation Game on the second night, followed by the winners for the Steel Bowl Championship.

I know, I know...it will never happen. But if I am going to waste any energy on this topic, I would rather argue for The Steel Bowl.

Why hasn’t Duquesne played Robert Morris every year over the last 20+ years? That is a good matchup between 2 local teams. You brought up the example of Philly teams all playing each other, but Duquesne hasn’t followed through on their end.

That high level donors dont want duquesne to be anywhere near pitts level in the city as far as influence goes
That's probably true but I seriously doubt Heather and JC are going to allow those people to make the schedule for them. And didn't they already say the game will be played at the Pete next year?

Why hasn’t Duquesne played Robert Morris every year over the last 20+ years? That is a good matchup between 2 local teams. You brought up the example of Philly teams all playing each other, but Duquesne hasn’t followed through on their end.
Wasn’t a Dukes fan until they got rid of that clown ferry for KD. KD explained why they hadn’t played in the fan interview that I already answered. They will play them this year.

there is no excuse they should play them every year. And Pitt should absolutely play Duquesne every single year. No exceptions.

Wasn’t a Dukes fan until they got rid of that clown ferry for KD. KD explained why they hadn’t played in the fan interview that I already answered. They will play them this year.

there is no excuse they should play them every year. And Pitt should absolutely play Duquesne every single year. No exceptions.
The last time Duquesne and RMU played was 2017. Talk is cheap. Andy has called out Duquesne in the past. Duquesne has been doing the same thing to RMU that we are doing to them.

The last time Duquesne and RMU played was 2017. Talk is cheap. Andy has called out Duquesne in the past. Duquesne has been doing the same thing to RMU that we are doing to them.
They had two players who Keith recruited and played for him at Akron. They’ll play this year as I said.

pitt isn’t playing Duquesne for free. 100k so we can get 2000 fans for an American East team.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Duquesne is an inferior basketball program to Pitt in an inferior conference to the ACC. And is also an inferior academic institution compared to Pitt as well. If Pitt choose to play them in some basketball games, good for DUQ then...but if Pitt chooses not to play them, who cares.

Duquesne is an inferior basketball program to Pitt in an inferior conference to the ACC. And is also an inferior academic institution compared to Pitt as well. If Pitt choose to play them in some basketball games, good for DUQ then...but if Pitt chooses not to play them, who cares.
So we win 9 ACC games in 2 years and suddenly we adopt PSU’s attitude? Sheesh. If they’re so bad we should be BEGGING to play them. We have an excuse to schedule them.

I'd really love to know if Duquesne wasn't much improved that the anti-Pitt crowd as well Pittsburgh media would really care. I could care less if we play them or not. I've been a basketball season ticket holder for 20+ years and the game didn't really mean anything for many Pitt fans, players.

I'd really love to know if Duquesne wasn't much improved that the anti-Pitt crowd as well Pittsburgh media would really care. I could care less if we play them or not. I've been a basketball season ticket holder for 20+ years and the game didn't really mean anything for many Pitt fans, players.
I think you have it reversed here. If Duquesne wasn’t much improved, would we have any problem playing them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT