ADVERTISEMENT

Dejan K claims the pitt duquense beef stems from pitt donors

I’m not the first to point this out but for those who support this 2 for 1 thing - simmer down when PSU says the same about football.

Nope. Pitt and Penn State are the only 2 in-state P5 programs who dont play home and home besides Texas A&M and its old Big 12 rivals and that's due to serious hard feelings that won't be mended for a long time.

Iowa/Iowa State
Florida/FSU
Louisville/UK
UGa/GT
Clem/SC
Utah/BYU (BYU is essentially a P5 program)

I have friends that post on this board and they can tell when people are trolling. It's ashame how people can have agendas etc.

They had two players who Keith recruited and played for him at Akron. They’ll play this year as I said.

pitt isn’t playing Duquesne for free. 100k so we can get 2000 fans for an American East team.
When’s the game scheduled for this year? Duquesne has no room to whine about Pitt until that game is on the schedule.

I think it’s more fair to suggest that Duquesne is more concerned about losing its place in the Pittsburgh basketball pecking order with a loss to RMU than Pitt is concerned about losing its place with a loss to Duquesne.

When’s the game scheduled for this year? Duquesne has no room to whine about Pitt until that game is on the schedule.

I think it’s more fair to suggest that Duquesne is more concerned about losing its place in the Pittsburgh basketball pecking order with a loss to RMU than Pitt is concerned about losing its place with a loss to Duquesne.
Let me get on the horn to Dave Harper and ask him...? KD said on the fan they would play this year and had those players as to why they hadn’t played in his tenure. If he’s lying he deserves the exact same criticism Pitt deserves for lying to Duquesne.

It’s hilarious that pitt fans have no problem playing powerhouses like Monmouth, canisius and Arkansas pine bluff in front of 575 people but playing Duquesne is a waste of our time.

you guys crack me up.

I do think playing Duquesne IN PLACE of these cupcakes should happen. I don't like cupcake games. We lose money and nobody cares.

As for your tournament idea, I don't think Pitt and WVU would go for that. What I have said before is we should do something similar to what Indy does at the Pacers arena for ND, IU, Pur, and Butler. An annual Saturday doubleheader at PPG. First game is Duquesne vs RMU. Second game Pitt vs WVU. Like the NCAAT, each school gets around 1000 tickets behind or across from their team benches. Of the other 14,000 tickets, Pitt gets 6000 in an area close to their bench, WVU gets 6000 in an area close to their bench. Then Duq and RMU get 1000 more each up in some nosebleeds. Make the cut like 40/40/10/10 or something like that. It sells out every year and would be a great event.

I have friends that post on this board and they can tell when people are trolling. It's ashame how people can have agendas etc.
This topic was dead until someone tried to shift blame to the donors. It’s an excuse only a SIMP would believe. Donors cannot and should not be dictating any scheduling and there is absolutely no way they are.

I do think playing Duquesne IN PLACE of these cupcakes should happen. I don't like cupcake games. We lose money and nobody cares.

As for your tournament idea, I don't think Pitt and WVU would go for that. What I have said before is we should do something similar to what Indy does at the Pacers arena for ND, IU, Pur, and Butler. An annual Saturday doubleheader at PPG. First game is Duquesne vs RMU. Second game Pitt vs WVU. Like the NCAAT, each school gets around 1000 tickets behind or across from their team benches. Of the other 14,000 tickets, Pitt gets 6000 in an area close to their bench, WVU gets 6000 in an area close to their bench. Then Duq and RMU get 1000 more each up in some nosebleeds. Make the cut like 40/40/10/10 or something like that. It sells out every year and would be a great event.
Your tourney idea is a good one. That’d be a cool event.

Your tourney idea is a good one. That’d be a cool event.
I can’t believe I’m saying this... it IS a good idea. And one that the NCAA specifically should’ve looked at with concerns of Covid to limit travel and expenses. But the NCAA sucks. Would’ve been awesome to have tournies like these across the country.

Let me get on the horn to Dave Harper and ask him...? KD said on the fan they would play this year and had those players as to why they hadn’t played in his tenure. If he’s lying he deserves the exact same criticism Pitt deserves for lying to Duquesne.
It’s a lame excuse, though. Capel certainly didn’t have a problem with playing Duke even though half of Duke’s roster over the past two years were guys he recruited and coached. He didn’t have a choice in the matter, of course, but it’s a lame excuse by Dambrot.

The reality there is that (IMO) Duquesne knows that if they lose to RMU then it’ll only further the notion that Duquesne has ceded the #2 spot to RMU - and, in the collective minds of Pittsburgh basketball fans who aren’t either hardline Catholics or who weren’t following college basketball 50 years ago when Duquesne was good, RMU might very well already be ahead of Duquesne. On the other hand, Pitt knows that even if they lose to Duquesne, it’ll be seen as a fluke by the casual fans in this town - the only ones who would argue otherwise are Duquesne diehards and, for whatever reason, local newspaper columnists.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It’s a lame excuse, though. Capel certainly didn’t have a problem with playing Duke even though half of Duke’s roster over the past two years were guys he recruited and coached. He didn’t have a choice in the matter, of course, but it’s a lame excuse by Dambrot.

The reality there is that (IMO) Duquesne knows that if they lose to RMU then it’ll only further the notion that Duquesne has ceded the #2 spot to RMU - and, in the collective minds of Pittsburgh basketball fans who aren’t either hardline Catholics or who weren’t following college basketball 50 years ago when Duquesne was good, RMU might very well already be ahead of Duquesne. On the other hand, Pitt knows that even if they lose to Duquesne, it’ll be seen as a fluke by the casual fans in this town - the only ones who would argue otherwise are Duquesne diehards and, for whatever reason, local newspaper columnists.
Lol duquesne was the highest rated team in Pittsburgh last year. They would’ve most likely waxed RMU. As Pitt would’ve most likely waxed Duquesne. That’s why many like myself want to see all 3 play.

lol at the duke comparison. I’m sure he absolutely had a problem playing Duke. He had no choice

Nope. Pitt and Penn State are the only 2 in-state P5 programs who dont play home and home besides Texas A&M and its old Big 12 rivals and that's due to serious hard feelings that won't be mended for a long time.

Iowa/Iowa State
Florida/FSU
Louisville/UK
UGa/GT
Clem/SC
Utah/BYU (BYU is essentially a P5 program)

So what? Pitt fans get upset at PSU offering 2 for 1. And I happen to agree that the answer to that should be a loud eff you. But if I were a Duquesne fan and Pitt offered a 2 for 1 it’d be the same eff you. You can’t have it both ways no matter how you try to spin it.

Amazing that all 5 schools in philly play but we’re scared or too good to play Duquesne. I don’t give a SH*T what the record was for 40 years. Same excuse penn state uses not to play us.

Villanova has won 2 natty’s in the last 5 years and isnt too high and mighty to play Lasalle Penn and St Joes.

The fact SMF opposes the city game should prove to all you naysayers we SHOULD be playing it.

They were too high and mighty to play Drexel. Why play the others and not Drexel? Their women's team does.

Philly is a basketball hotbed, especially compared to Pittsburgh. Those teams have a lot of Philly area kids on them. Pitt and Duquesne don't have a lot of local kids on the team.

They were too high and mighty to play Drexel. Why play the others and not Drexel? Their women's team does.

Philly is a basketball hotbed, especially compared to Pittsburgh. Those teams have a lot of Philly area kids on them. Pitt and Duquesne don't have a lot of local kids on the team.
They played all 4 2 years ago coming off A national championship including 2 on the road. You’re right, last year they only played 3 city games... not 4. How embarrassing that we won’t play 1.

Lol duquesne was the highest rated team in Pittsburgh last year. They would’ve most likely waxed RMU. As Pitt would’ve most likely waxed Duquesne. That’s why many like myself want to see all 3 play.

lol at the duke comparison. I’m sure he absolutely had a problem playing Duke. He had no choice
At the end of the day, though, Dambrot saying “I can’t play RMU because two of my old players from Akron transferred there” is just as much of an excuse as Capel saying that “I can’t play Duquesne because it doesn’t fit into our scheduling model.”

I think Pitt should play Duquesne, and I think they should have scheduled a two game neutral tournament and used that third game to play Duquesne. Its a mistake not to play them, and not just because I think Pitt is the better team and would win. I think Duquesne should play RMU. But the fact that you accept one coach’s excuse at face value and the other coach’s excuse as illegitimate is revealing. JMO

At the end of the day, though, Dambrot saying “I can’t play RMU because two of my old players from Akron transferred there” is just as much of an excuse as Capel saying that “I can’t play Duquesne because it doesn’t fit into our scheduling model.”

I think Pitt should play Duquesne, and I think they should have scheduled a two game neutral tournament and used that third game to play Duquesne. Its a mistake not to play them, and not just because I think Pitt is the better team and would win. I think Duquesne should play RMU. But the fact that you accept one coach’s excuse at face value and the other coach’s excuse as illegitimate is revealing. JMO
How is saving your program 100k and playing Duquesne instead of East Texas State an excuse? It’s obviously a lie on some level that there’s either a personal dislike of Dambrot because of his past or he doesn’t want to play them because he thinks they might lose. I’d say under normal circumstances it’s not his job to think about the $ aspect but during a pandemic seems pretty stupid and reckless.

He says it comes from above Lyke and Capel. I find that surprising to say the least. I have no clue if he truly knows something as he doesnt really cover pitt but he posted that this morning on his site.

Sounds unlikely. If donors have that much influence where they can meddle in scheduling decisions, than Pitt has much bigger problems than ducking Duquesne. This is what destroyed the program in the first place.

Duquesne is an inferior basketball program to Pitt in an inferior conference to the ACC. And is also an inferior academic institution compared to Pitt as well. If Pitt choose to play them in some basketball games, good for DUQ then...but if Pitt chooses not to play them, who cares.
Pitt will play at least 6 or 7 inferior basketball teams this year and every year. This excuse is a non starter. That being said all this whining from the media is overboard. Back in the 60s when Duquesne was considered the superior program they went 13 years refusing to schedule Pitt. They only met by chance if they were paired in the Steel Bowl. So this 2 year hiatus is no big deal.

Reactions: pierre93

Drexel isn't a Big 5 team. They don't have a historical tradition of playing Drexel.

Big 5 = Penn, Temple, Villanova, St. Joe's, and LaSalle.

If you go to most of the OOC games every year, and you go to the City Game every year, the City Game without a doubt has 10x the atmosphere that Pitt vs Niagara does.

It’s not Pitt vs WVU, Pitt vs PSU or Xavier/Cincinnati but it’s certainly a better event to attend than most of Pitt’s OOC games.

Amazing that all 5 schools in philly play but we’re scared or too good to play Duquesne. I don’t give a SH*T what the record was for 40 years. Same excuse penn state uses not to play us.

Villanova has won 2 natty’s in the last 5 years and isnt too high and mighty to play Lasalle Penn and St Joes.

The fact SMF opposes the city game should prove to all you naysayers we SHOULD be playing it.
Oh I agree. That's why I said It is a "bad look" for Pitt.

They played all 4 2 years ago coming off A national championship including 2 on the road. You’re right, last year they only played 3 city games... not 4. How embarrassing that we won’t play 1.

They played all four other Big 5 teams this past season.

Villanova has only played Drexel 19 times in their history. They've played Temple 92 times, St. Joes 76 times, LaSalle 67 times, and Penn 66 times.

That compares to Pitt playing Duquesne 87 times and Robert Morris 31 times.

Oh I agree. That's why I said It is a "bad look" for Pitt.
Oh Pitt is damned if they do and damned if they don't in this town so be it. St penn doesn't want to schedule Pitt in football and we don't want to schedule Duquesne in hoops so what? Next..... onward

It’s hilarious that pitt fans have no problem playing powerhouses like Monmouth, canisius and Arkansas pine bluff in front of 575 people but playing Duquesne is a waste of our time.

you guys crack me up.
It really is amusing to see people defend the indefensible.

If you go to most of the OOC games every year, and you go to the City Game every year, the City Game without a doubt has 10x the atmosphere that Pitt vs Niagara does.

It’s not Pitt vs WVU, Pitt vs PSU or Xavier/Cincinnati but it’s certainly a better event to attend than most of Pitt’s OOC games.

More than Pitt/PSU.

Its amusing to see so called Pitt fans continuing to post shame on Pitt posts too on a Pitt message board. ;)

So anyone who doesn’t just laud Pitt at every turn is a troll according to you. Pitt can do no wrong - they’re perfect. Anything else - you’re a troll or a dickhead.

You’re clearly a big Pitt supporter and fan and that as great. But people can still be Pitt fans and supporters and not be total company men (or women).

So anyone who doesn’t just laud Pitt at every turn is a troll according to you. Pitt can do no wrong - they’re perfect. Anything else - you’re a troll or a dickhead.

You’re clearly a big Pitt supporter and fan and that as great. But people can still be Pitt fans and supporters and not be total company men (or women).
Totally took it wrong and spun it to your liking etc. Actually I never invited you in this conversation. I'm not on here to keep bashing and I've complained about the football program several times. Get lost Suzie Q

I think the basketball team has taken enough hits in the media and also on here. Some posters just mask their loyalty different especially on a free message board.

Totally took it wrong and spun it to your liking etc. Actually I never invited you in this conversation. I'm not on here to keep bashing and I've complained about the football program several times. Get lost Suzie Q

I don’t need your invitation. I’ll comment as I wish.

If I misunderstood this particular post then I sand corrected. But my point remains. You made your troll comment here and called me one cause we had a differing opinion on something else.

And another one gonna use the name of a woman as if it’s an insult. Dope.

I don’t need your invitation. I’ll comment as I wish.

If I misunderstood this particular post then I sand corrected. But my point remains. You made your troll comment here and called me one cause we had a differing opinion on something else.

And another one gonna use the name of a woman as if it’s an insult. Dope.
No wonder several posters don't like to post since they get called out by the cool kids club. Prick, keep hiding behind a keyboard. Loved actually meeting posters in person at the hoops games. Totally totally different when chatting in person.

Drexel isn't a Big 5 team. They don't have a historical tradition of playing Drexel.

Big 5 = Penn, Temple, Villanova, St. Joe's, and LaSalle.

I understand that, but Drexel has been trying to get into the rotation to play the other 5 schools every year.

Reactions: Saboteur
I understand that, but Drexel has been trying to get into the rotation to play the other 5 schools every year.

You asked why the Big Five schools don't always play Drexel. Drexel isn't a traditional opponent for any of the Big Five. Drexel has played Villanova, LaSalle, and Penn less than 30 times each, less than Pitt has played RMU. They haven't played Villanova since 2006.

Duquesne is very much a historical traditional opponent of Pitt. The comparison to Drexel isn't analogous.

Last edited:
In a year or 2 Duquesne will be glad they didn't schedule Pitt. NM

Lol. So your assumption is Pitt is scared to play this year? Duquesne is always gonna wanna play Pitt, they have nothing to lose.
Never said that Peter Parker just a statement. Its wonderful to see the same posters up each others asses. Kinda funny, water seeks it's own levels.

You asked why the Big Five schools don't always play Drexel. Drexel isn't a traditional opponent for any of the Big Five. Drexel has played Villanova, LaSalle, and Penn less than 30 times each, less than Pitt has played RMU. They haven't played Villanova since 2006.

Duquesne is very much a historical traditional opponent of Pitt. The comparison to Drexel isn't analogous.

No, someone said Nova plays the Philly area schools, so we should play Duquesne. I asked why don't they play Drexel. They aren't a Big 5 School, but still a Philly school they could easily play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT