ADVERTISEMENT

Dejan K claims the pitt duquense beef stems from pitt donors

The comparison between Pitt and PSU in football is silly. Pitt is certainly not a playoff contender, but we're a P5 team with a recent conference championship appearance. Pitt should definitely push for a continued home and home series there.

Pitt vs Duquesne is NOT a rivalry. That doesn't mean it should just be ignored. Nobody is arguing all of a sudden Duquesne should or will start beating Pitt routinely. That is the exact reason this series should continue. This should be somewhere between a tough win and an easy win every season. There is zero reason to be playing Arkansas Pine Bluff instead of Duquesne other than being wimps.

I was 100% against renewing the series with WVU because it was obvious we were going to get thumped in it. That's not going to happen here. Pitt will have a 50% chance or better to win this "rivalry" every time it is played.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner! An excuse to play an easy neutral site game every year!

Bad press rarely hurts anyone these days and this certainly this won't registered nationally. That doesn't mean it doesn't look bad, at least to those paying attention, to renege on a verbal agreement to play a historical cross-town opponent that had been played annually for the previous 48 consecutive seasons just when they happen to put together one of their best teams in decades. It looks bad from my perspective, not that my opinion, nor the opinion of any of the local news hacks, will inflict any actual damage or change a thing.

I am of the opinion the game should be played every year as long as Pitt and Duquesne are both Division 1 programs. But I'm a traditionalist that believes universities are better, more interesting places when histories and traditions are nurtured and protected when possible.

Thanks. My thoughts on college athletics completely align with yours.

Yeah, I think the Philly schools being able to pull it off despite having a national heavyweight in the mix should disqualify any argument against doing so here.

If they want to mix it up, the idea of an annual local tourney just makes so much sense. Pitt, Duquesne, RMU, and WVU at PPG for a weekend in November or early December. Two games on Friday then a consolation and championship on Saturday would be such a fun weekend and a great event to promote local hoops.
Equal share of revenue

Morgan State added.....

As I said we would schedule a MEAC team and pay the 100K or so for an automatic win that won’t help us at all. The good news is we will continue our undefeated streak against the mighty MEAC lol.

Being serious for a second...our goal this year should be to make the NCAA tournament...I don’t know if it will happen but if all goes well we may have a chance to be a bubble team. All going well means X bounces back for a big year, Horton is the scorer/shooter JC says he is, a few Frosh make nice contributions etc. But when you are a bubble team it means you are competing with several other teams and a KEY factor is quality wins. A home win over Morgan State does not help at all. However say we play Duquesne at PPG and win as win should (I think we beat them 8 out of 10 times) that is a GOOD QUAD 2 win on a neutral court and would really help our NCAA Resume. Even a loss to Duquesne who will win over 20 games helps our resume more than a win at home vs a MEAC team.

The bottom line is JC needs to put his ego aside and do what is best for the program to have a chance to make the NCAA Tour, especially since we could be sitting on the bubble if all goes well. For the couple of knuckle heads out there go ahead and bash me if you want...BUT do you not agree our goal should be to make the NCAA Tour this year...? Put pettiness and egos aside and do what’s best to help Pitt make the NCAA Tour. And playing Duquesne at PPG will be a GOOD QUAD 2 win and help our NCAA Tour resume.

For those who want to debate please provide evidence how any MEAC team will help our NCAA Tour resume more than what I explained above about Duquesne.

Don't you think that's Jeff Capel's goal?

Go back and read my post again. This is not one of the strong JD teams that was a NCAA Tour lock. The current team needs a lot to go right to be on the bubble. And part of that is quality non conference wins. Do you realize a good quad 2 win is much better than a home win vs a MEAC team??? Do you realize even a loss to a 20 win Duquesne team at a neutral site still helps more than a home win vs a MEAC team??? Clearly you don’t.

Like I said forget all the petty BS...you schedule them at PPG because it’s considered a strong neutral site game (we still will have a large majority of the fans). You do this because essentially you get a home game but with the bonus of it being considered neutral site. This will help out NCAA tournament chances way more than playing a bad team form a horrible conference.

Go back and read my post again. This is not one of the strong JD teams that was a NCAA Tour lock. The current team needs a lot to go right to be on the bubble. And part of that is quality non conference wins. Do you realize a good quad 2 win is much better than a home win vs a MEAC team??? Do you realize even a loss to a 20 win Duquesne team at a neutral site still helps more than a home win vs a MEAC team??? Clearly you don’t.

Like I said forget all the petty BS...you schedule them at PPG because it’s considered a strong neutral site game (we still will have a large majority of the fans). You do this because essentially you get a home game but with the bonus of it being considered neutral site. This will help out NCAA tournament chances way more than playing a bad team form a horrible conference.
I don’t think that a neutral site loss does anything for you. Neither does a win over a MEAC team.

But it’s not an either/or. We’ve had teams like Morgan State on the schedule every year, whether we play Duquesne or not, and we were going to schedule teams like Morgan State regardless of whether we played the City Game this year. We’ll have to wait and see how the full schedule looks to see how we’re filling the vacancy that would ordinarily be filled by the City Game.

I don’t think that a neutral site loss does anything for you. Neither does a win over a MEAC team.

But it’s not an either/or. We’ve had teams like Morgan State on the schedule every year, whether we play Duquesne or not, and we were going to schedule teams like Morgan State regardless of whether we played the City Game this year. We’ll have to wait and see how the full schedule looks to see how we’re filling the vacancy that would ordinarily be filled by the City Game.

“every year” as you stated has changed in the past 2 years and even more now. This article and especially the video should help you and those who don’t quite understand. Dan Gavitt explains fairly well in the video.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ts-new-college-basketball-ranking-replace-rpi

Last edited:
He says it comes from above Lyke and Capel. I find that surprising to say the least. I have no clue if he truly knows something as he doesnt really cover pitt but he posted that this morning on his site.
I have heard differently—but if this is true and we are at the point where we are making scheduling decisions based on what big donors want — then I have serious serious concerns about the state of our sports administration.

Do you think that Jeff Capel doesn't understand that?

I mean seriously, that's what you are arguing, that Jeff Capel is too stupid to understand that beating Duquesne next season is almost certainly going to be better for Pitt's resume than beating Morgan State will be. It's obvious, or at least it is to anyone with more than half a brain, that that's not what's going on here. Pitt isn't not playing Duquesne because they think that it's going to help their chances to make the tournament by playing Morgan State instead. They aren't playing Duquesne for some other reason, one that none of us really knows.

Reactions: Chescat and Pitt MD
Do you think that Jeff Capel doesn't understand that?

I mean seriously, that's what you are arguing, that Jeff Capel is too stupid to understand that beating Duquesne next season is almost certainly going to be better for Pitt's resume than beating Morgan State will be. It's obvious, or at least it is to anyone with more than half a brain, that that's not what's going on here. Pitt isn't not playing Duquesne because they think that it's going to help their chances to make the tournament by playing Morgan State instead. They aren't playing Duquesne for some other reason, one that none of us really knows.
Jeff doesn't like top hats??? Mossie Murphy was the model for Swamp Thing, New Jersey's only SuperHero?? He doesn't want beating any team with "Duke" associations??

“every year” as you stated has changed in the past 2 years and even more now. This article and especially the video should help you and those who don’t quite understand. Dan Gavitt explains fairly well in the video.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ts-new-college-basketball-ranking-replace-rpi

The funny thing is that you are correct, things have changed in the last two years. But apparently not the way you seem to think.

Under the RPI, when a good team beat one of the really bad teams their rating would drop. It didn't matter if they beat them by one point or by 50 points, their rating would drop. That is not the case any more, because now there is a margin of victory factor in the ratings. Beating Morgan State by one point is worse for your rating than beating them by 50 points (as it should be). Under the RPI losing to a really good team (one a lot better than Duquesne is likely to be) might not hurt your rating, and if it did it would only hurt a little. And it didn't matter if you lost by one point or 50 points. Now, if you lose to Duke by 50 points on the road when Duke is the number one team in the country your rating is going to go down. Which didn't happen under the old system.

Under the RPI a neutral site loss to Duquesne would hurt your rating, no question about it. Undet the NET a neutral site loss to Duquesne would hurt your rating, no question about it. The only question is how much it would hurt, which would partly be determined by how many points you lost the game by.

Jeff doesn't like top hats??? Mossie Murphy was the model for Swamp Thing, New Jersey's only SuperHero?? He doesn't want beating any team with "Duke" associations??

I think he's afraid of that goofy mascot. Causes him nightmares when he see it.

Makes at least as much sense as the theory that there are Pitt donors who told Pitt not to play the game.

478484517.jpeg

If promoting college basketball in Pittsburgh is the goal, instead of just scheduling "The City Game", bring back "The Steel Bowl" and make it a 2-day weekend tournament.

Invite two respected college basketball teams outside of the ACC and A10 conferences that local fans would enjoy seeing in person. For example, Big East teams would be a natural draw.

Pitt plays one and Duquesne plays the other on opening night. Losers play the Consolation Game on the second night, followed by the winners for the Steel Bowl Championship.

I know, I know...it will never happen. But if I am going to waste any energy on this topic, I would rather argue for The Steel Bowl.

Great idea Even if there was no 2nd night for championship and consolation game.

There could be an event like State of Indiana does with double header of Indiana, Purdue, ND and Butler playing each other on a rotational basis.

You could have Pitt, Duquesne and 2 other teams from PA or neighboring states (Nova, Maryland, WVU, UPS, Ohio St and other teams from Philly or Bobby Mo).

Peace
NGF

I think he's afraid of that goofy mascot. Causes him nightmares when he see it.

Makes at least as much sense as the theory that there are Pitt donors who told Pitt not to play the game.

478484517.jpeg
Well, Pitt donors have done worse.

I don't oppose it. I am in favor of it as a 2 for 1 with their home game being played at PPG.

I would also be in favor of the old joint home game at PPG format taking the place of a cupcake game that we literally lose money on. What I am absolutely not in favor of is the Duquesne game taking the place of WVU or another P6 home and home series. However, it doesnt appear those games will be happening either as Capel seems to be scheduling very easy until he can get this thing built back up.
You and others who,oppose it sound stupid. As mentioned earlier we are now no better than Penn State but yet Pitt fans feel we should play them every year and get mad when they dis agree.
It's called hypocrisy people.
Many people besides the naysayers enjoy the game.
If you don't like it don't go but the city game should be played .

Reactions: NTOP
Yeah, I think the Philly schools being able to pull it off despite having a national heavyweight in the mix should disqualify any argument against doing so here.

If they want to mix it up, the idea of an annual local tourney just makes so much sense. Pitt, Duquesne, RMU, and WVU at PPG for a weekend in November or early December. Two games on Friday then a consolation and championship on Saturday would be such a fun weekend and a great event to promote local hoops.
The old Steel City Bowl. Pitt, Duquesne, wvu & psu. Fun!
ANY pub for hoops helps Pitt. But we don't need any help, huh??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT