ADVERTISEMENT

Depressing to hear Chris Peak's thoughts for the 2018 season..........

ERICCARTMAN

Freshman
Jul 5, 2001
Chris was interviewed on the "The Fan" after yesterday's game. Not that there there is much to disagree with, particularly given the schedule, but I believe he projected 6-6 for next season.

Does Narduzzi need to think about going the Junior college route to add some needed skill and line backing positions?

Chris was interviewed on the "The Fan" after yesterday's game. Not that there there is much to disagree with, particularly given the schedule, but I believe he projected 6-6 for next season.

Does Narduzzi need to think about going the Junior college route to add some needed skill and line backing positions?

HCPN has been at Pitt three years with next year going on four years ( quick with the math).

Wouldn't any reasonable fan think after three years + one year= going on four year HCPN would have recruited sufficient talent so Pitt can compete???????????

Why would anybody predict better if than 6-6

The hope I see is better QB + win the 50/50 games. This team is probably 4 or 5 plays from being 7-4.

Nope, can't change it and this year we are what we are. But as far as flipping the script, that's what gives me hope.

Reactions: PittMan 72
Why would you not?
You know the saying talented is good, but it don’t beat talented and big.

This team is small and not very talented.

Anybody predicting better than 6-6 doesn’t know or admit to what they’re seeing n on the field ......and from the sidelines.

I'd say 6-6 is a pretty positive projection. Hard to see us getting more than 4, again, considering the returning players, recruiting class, coaching staff, and schedule.

Reactions: cashisking884
6-6 is about right. If you're doing honest projections:

Albany W
Penn State L
UCF L
ND L
Miami L
VT L
UVA toss up
Duke toss up
UNC toss up
Syracuse toss up
GT toss up
Wake toss up

That's 5 losses, 1 win, and 6 games that are toss ups. Even if you want to say a few of the games I have labeled as losses should be toss ups, that's 3 losses, 1 win, 8 toss ups. Even if you win half of the 8 toss ups, that only gets you to 5 wins.

That means nothing for next year. Teams get better and worse every year, its pointless to count wins and losses right now by just looking at the schedule.

Reactions: Deer Head
What do you see in VT that makes them a loss next year? Pickett’s first meaningful game should have been a win at VT. They aren’t very good either. I’m not saying Pitt will win but VT is not in the same class as Miami or ND or PSU in terms of next year’s opponents. Also UCF, I’ll count as a loss based on this year but may have a new coach next year.

Reactions: Chad40301
I agree. VT barely beat a 4 win Pitt team when we had zero running game and a freshman QB getting his first reps. VT this year has a great defense and good weapons on O. They arent all that good.

You know the saying talented is good, but it don’t beat talented and big.

This team is small and not very talented.

Anybody predicting better than 6-6 doesn’t know or admit to what they’re seeing n on the field ......and from the sidelines.

We're small but we're slow!

He also picked 8-5 this year so he may be trying to hedge any optimism he may have. I’m not saying they will do better or worse than 6-6. I think they take a nice step forward. 7-8 wins would be my prediction but its way too early to tell what next year’s team will shape up as. A prediction this early is merely a guess with no substance outside of this year’s teams.

Reactions: Saboteur
I'm expecting an uptick to 8+ wins. Some weird injuries and dismissals. Tough luck in a few games too. Pickett will he much better next year than Browne and DiNucci we're this season.

That means nothing for next year. Teams get better and worse every year, its pointless to count wins and losses right now by just looking at the schedule.
You’re right-but saying “no way we lose to” a team that’s undefeated and top 10 this year, and that will be returning most of its starters next year, is pretty foolish, no?

Reactions: Jpripper88

Why would someone’s opinion depress you. That’s all it is. An opinion.

Reactions: Saboteur

Chris Peak predicts a 6-6 season next year in Narduzzi's fourth year as head coach. So Narduzzi's record in his fourth year is projected to be worse than his record was in his first and second year when he was using Chryst's recruits.

Does anyone see a red flag with this? A coach in his fourth year with a record that's not as good as his first two years using the previous coach's players? That's Pitt's Brady Hoke. Did well at Michigan his first year and went downhill slowly after that. That's not trending upward. That's saying either this guy can't coach or can't recruit or both.

Chris Peak predicts a 6-6 season next year in Narduzzi's fourth year as head coach. So Narduzzi's record in his fourth year is projected to be worse than his record was in his first and second year when he was using Chryst's recruits.

Does anyone see a red flag with this? A coach in his fourth year with a record that's not as good as his first two years using the previous coach's players? That's Pitt's Brady Hoke. Did well at Michigan his first year and went downhill slowly after that. That's not trending upward. That's saying either this guy can't coach or can't recruit or both.
Not sure someone's prediction is a red flag. Well have to see what the actual record is next season and how the team performs.

6-6 is about right. If you're doing honest projections:

Albany W
Penn State L
UCF L
ND L
Miami L
VT L
UVA toss up
Duke toss up
UNC toss up
Syracuse toss up
GT toss up
Wake toss up

That's 5 losses, 1 win, and 6 games that are toss ups. Even if you want to say a few of the games I have labeled as losses should be toss ups, that's 3 losses, 1 win, 8 toss ups. Even if you win half of the 8 toss ups, that only gets you to 5 wins.

Albany W
PSU W (they have a ton of seniors)
ND L
UCF W (seniors and coach leave)
Duke W
Syr W
UNC L
Miami L

toss-up
VT
@ UVa
@ Wake
GT

I say 8-4

I won't predict record at this point because I have no idea what other teams will look like. Hell I don't even know what Pitt will look like next season. Coming into this season, we lost multiple starters to suspension, to injury, etc... So anything can happen.

I will say this.... I am encouraged by the Defense. Sure they are not great and they still need to get better but I thought they have gotten better as the season went on. Again, definitely some bumps in the road but I think the defense has improved and the majority of the players playing come back. So hopefully the experience will help them become more consistent and a bigger improvement will be seen next season.

As for Offense.... the offense is my bigger worry. I have no faith in Watson.
However, I was really encouraged from what I saw with Pickett.... For the life of me, I can't understand what the coaches have been doing with him sitting and DiNucci getting most of the playing time since Browne went down. That is actually unbelievable to me but hopefully they have a more sensible explanation. Maybe Pickett was so far in over his head with the play book or something. Otherwise it is beyond ridiculous for him to sit in favor of DiNucci. But back to the offense... I think Pickett stabilizes the QB position. I think RB is in good hands. TE will be fine. OL should be fine but it will be young and will definitely need some guys to step up. WR is awful right now and hopefully someone can step up here. We are as weak at WR as I can remember. A position that is normally a strength of Pitt's is sub par.

Reactions: Chad40301 and cdmg
6-6 is safe for next year. I do think Pitt will be better. But wouldn't be surprised with anything between 5-7 and 8-4. As someone pointed out, Pitt wasn't that far away from being 7-4 this year.

Peak nailed this if you are being honest. And me and Peak don't agree much lol
lol, he nailed what? What did he nail, not expecting much from next year's team? Yeah, a real fortune teller we got on our hands. 6-6, way to go out on a limb and put yourself out there.

Reactions: pitt2010
6-6 is safe for next year. I do think Pitt will be better. But wouldn't be surprised with anything between 5-7 and 8-4. As someone pointed out, Pitt wasn't that far away from being 7-4 this year.
Agree really its been that way for the last 6 or 7 years. Depending on breaks and injury's(suspensions) that is pretty much a typical Pitt team between 5 and 8 wins. I think they can end up near the top end of that if there are no more suspensions, no major injuries. Would be a big help if whitehead and Oneil come back with Oneil probably being the more important of the two.

Albany W
PSU W (they have a ton of seniors)
ND L
UCF W (seniors and coach leave)
Duke W
Syr W
UNC L
Miami L

toss-up
VT
@ UVa
@ Wake
GT

I say 8-4
I mean, this is laugh out loud funny. You are predicting "W" for Pitt (4-8 this year with absolutely 0 impact players coming in as recruits) against 9-2 PSU and 11-0 UCF teams and not even putting them as "toss-ups"?

PSU returns their starting QB and 4 of 5 on the OL, plus 2 of 3 WRs. They lose two great players in Barkley and Gesicki, but that is still better than us on O if O'Neil leaves. Their defense loses a lot, but they have a lot more talent on both sides of the ball and they will still return both DEs, and 2 of 3 LBs. We return most of our defense, but of course we lose our best two players and that defense has been very bad for two years. To expect a "W" is ludicrous.

BTW, UCF should return 16 starters next year. They certainly may have a new HC, but they return their starting QB, RB, TE, and all WRs, plus 3 of 5 on the OL. They return their leading tackler and their entire DB group. They also return their starting P and K. So, they likely have more returning starters than we do.

You can't win unless you have quality recruiting. We don't have that. If anyone expects to get past 6 wins for the foreseeable future, you better be prepared to show where the 4* recruits are coming from. They aren't here.

The hope I see is better QB + win the 50/50 games. This team is probably 4 or 5 plays from being 7-4.

Nope, can't change it and this year we are what we are. But as far as flipping the script, that's what gives me hope.

Agree. Think the choice of the starting QB and his resultant play right from game 1 will be pivotal and a potential big difference maker in having s reasonable shot at significant improvement in 2018.

That means better performance, production and, hopefully, no injuries at the QB spot. Pitt absolutely MUST have the ability to be balanced and threaten defenses BOTH running and passing the ball.

Your first sentence is right on the money. 7 - 4 right now was there for the taking this year. SU, UNC and VT could have (I think SHOULD have) been wins. But Pitt just couldn't get it done.

Reactions: Chad40301
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT