ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Howard....

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
Maybe it is just me but raise your hand if you can't stand his over the top constant over the top laughter by him on everything said on that Gameday show...Occasionally humorous things are muttered, just not everything for two hours..Annoying. ...Its like he is part of the "whacky" morning crew on WXYZ....

Maybe it is just me but raise your hand if you can't stand his over the top constant over the top laughter by him on everything said on that Gameday show...Occasionally humorous things are muttered, just not everything for two hours..Annoying. ...Its like he is part of the "whacky" morning crew on WXYZ....
i feel like they push these guys to be over the top loud, boisterous, over reacting on every comment. just trying to fit into the loud party atmosphere that it is. laugh as everything said was the funniest joke you've ever heard.

i get it but it comes off as extremely fake and again, orchestrated. be light hearted, its college football, i get it. it's not life and death but this behavior is way too forced and like the OP said, just annoying..

Reactions: 303vND
Yeah. LOL....I take care of my mom, and when he cackles, she goes "who is that guy"? But I also realize I am in my 50's and even though he is from where I grew up (AK Valley) I totally do not get Pat McAfee. I enjoy guys like Saban, even Herbie, the old Mark May/Lou Holtz dynamic, but I am an old dude now.

Too many of these guys, like Howard, are just unabashed fans of their team. That's fine, but we don't need that from the announcers.

I never even noticed. I do get a kick about how Saban seems to cringe being around McAfee :)

Yeah. LOL....I take care of my mom, and when he cackles, she goes "who is that guy"? But I also realize I am in my 50's and even though he is from where I grew up (AK Valley) I totally do not get Pat McAfee. I enjoy guys like Saban, even Herbie, the old Mark May/Lou Holtz dynamic, but I am an old dude now.
His stories from his old podcast were funny .
But now he’s “a personality “

I'm cool with that. Mark May wasn't shy about his love for the Pitt Panthers. Ditto now for Louis Riddick.
Because they are Pitt guys. Most of them aren't.

Howard really rubs me the wrong way, though. He's just annoying. That Heisman pose in the end zone encapsulates him perfectly. I get it, he did it, and he earned it, but the old man in me gets perturbed.

McAfee is an acquired taste. Actually for a bored retired guy in between golf games, he is quasi entertaining….

Reactions: Pitt79
I always liked David Pollack but they axed him. The dude from plum with the chains is brutal. The show should be only 90 minutes long. It is often times 5 guys at the table all laughing about something that really isn’t funny.

I always liked David Pollack but they axed him. The dude from plum with the chains is brutal. The show should be only 90 minutes long. It is often times 5 guys at the table all laughing about something that really isn’t funny.
Pollack wasnt a circus clown. Thats essentially what these shows have become, made for TV circus/sit coms. Thats why McAffee, Corso etc are on.

you guys watch the fox nfl pregame show, they do something very similar. everyone just laughing their butts off after every comment made. it's weird, very forced. again, like they are having the times of their lives every show. jimmy johnson and terri long look like they are on laughing gas 80% of the show.

it's way too much.

I really don't mind Gameday at all. Probably my favorite show to watch, in fact. If anyone annoys me it's Herbstreit, just because I know what a crybaby simp he is.

you guys watch the fox nfl pregame show, they do something very similar. everyone just laughing their butts off after every comment made. it's weird, very forced. again, like they are having the times of their lives every show. jimmy johnson and terri long look like they are on laughing gas 80% of the show.

it's way too much.
It’s almost like they understand having fun is entertaining to watch , and being a miserable isn’t .
It’s how you end up on fan call in shows after the game .
With the exception of Bob pompeani who is just a pro doing a job

It’s almost like they understand having fun is entertaining to watch , and being a miserable isn’t .
It’s how you end up on fan call in shows after the game .
With the exception of Bob pompeani who is just a pro doing a job
i understand it's not life or death but just laughing at every thing said seems a bit much. that's all. to each his own, obviously others like it cause they get good ratings.

i think college gameday is good cause it's on a college campus, a party atmosphere surrounded by drunk college kids so yeah, that over-excitement fits into the atmosphere. Mcafee going nuts when some former wvu player hits a 40' shot to pay off a kids tuition, that's fun, that's exciting. watching a student kick a ball thru a fake field goal post with Herbie and McAfee screaming makes sense.

terri long and Stahan rolling on the floor laughing hysterically after every Jimmy Johnson line in a studio, not so much.

It’s just you

Macafee is unwatchable
Cmon. McAfee is very entertaining during mid day for us old retired boys.
He has great guests, and is the ultimate Yinzer.
They were laughing about he and Saban today.
He is a breath of fresh air., but definitely an acquired taste.
Ate a lot of humble pie today, recapping the EER’s game.
Said the Nits are the real deal.
Goofball entertainment……for sure.

terri long and Stahan rolling on the floor laughing hysterically after every Jimmy Johnson line in a studio, not so much.

The "best" part about that is that those shows are all rehearsed, so they are laughing hysterically at jokes they have heard once or twice already. That's why it sounds so forced. Because even if one of them does happen to say something funny, the other guys on the set have already heard the joke.

At some point in time these shows changed from being attempts to inform the viewers into chuckle-fests.

I really don't mind Gameday at all. Probably my favorite show to watch, in fact. If anyone annoys me it's Herbstreit, just because I know what a crybaby simp he is.
I love Gameday. Many times it’s the most worthwhile watch on all day on some Saturdays, and I’m very ouch including the games in that statement.

Herbstreit is the best college football color analyst of my adult lifetime and I’m in my 50s. Nobody diagnoses and explains the nuances of a play in real time like he does. And nobody else has the relationships with and respect from the coaches that he has. I’ve never understood the hate he gets from some posters on this board. Whats your rationale for it?

You are only saying that because he missed those 2 chip shot field goals in 2007.

Hail to Pitt!

Dave

That's part of it. How can you not love that guy? He played a big role in a historic Pitt win and he's entertaining as heck on the tele. I dont need or want some nerd over-analyzing Georgia's nickel defense on College GameDay. Its a party. And its perfect for McAfee. His only problem is he's punching below his weight. He will probably end hosting a network late night show or doing Good Morning America. He's a generational talent.

Reactions: dave97
Loved him.

ESPN would be well served to dump the B1G Homers. Add someone from the ACC network.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT