ADVERTISEMENT

Devonshire

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
OK, I hate when people throw out silly scenarios, but I can't help myself:

I'd love to see Devonshire get a handful of snaps on offense each game. Maybe a swing pass out of the backfield or a crossing pattern out of the slot. He has that "it" factor with the ball in his hands - explosive. We did this with Jordan Whitehead. Whitehead was used as more a pure RB, but the concept is the same...we got an explosive guy, let's use him.

With Battle out for the year and CB seemingly a little thin this year - at least in terms of guys the coaches think are ready - it's probably unlikely. But maybe next year when Devonshire has his CB duties well under control and some of the young CBs are more game ready.

Not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind seeing it a few plays a game .
The receiving corp lacks that explosion play and player without Wayne.
Hammond would even help the passing game .
Mumpfield is ok, nothing spectacular.

Is he much faster than Means or Barden? He may be; I just thought those guys were supposedly pretty fast. The Barden thing remains a mystery to me. But, while he's certainly fast, I'm not sure how shifty Devonshire is or isn't. Not saying he isn't... I just don't know.

Is he much faster than Means or Barden? He may be; I just thought those guys were supposedly pretty fast. The Barden thing remains a mystery to me. But, while he's certainly fast, I'm not sure how shifty Devonshire is or isn't. Not saying he isn't... I just don't know.
I guess there is game speed and running drills speed. Means does not look fast or explosive when gets the ball. He doesn't look slow but just like your average D1 WR running with the ball. Barden at least does look to have some foot speed when he's on the field, not sure how elusive or explosive he is because he never actually gets the ball.

But even with Wayne, I feel our WR corps lacks an explosive player who is a threat to take it the house on every touch. Addison was this, but even lesser overall players like Q. Henderson, M. French, etc. Even Vilique Carter. None of current WR have shown that ability.

I guess there is game speed and running drills speed. Means does not look fast or explosive when gets the ball. He doesn't look slow but just like your average D1 WR running with the ball. Barden at least does look to have some foot speed when he's on the field, not sure how elusive or explosive he is because he never actually gets the ball.

But even with Wayne, I feel our WR corps lacks an explosive player who is a threat to take it the house on every touch. Addison was this, but even lesser overall players like Q. Henderson, M. French, etc. Even Vilique Carter. None of current WR have shown that ability.

I did think Mumpfield looked the part against WVU. 5 catches for 71 yards ain't bad, and it would have been 6 for like 150 and a touchdown if they connected on that deep ball. He was getting open, too. But he just hasn't looked the same since. Maybe at least part of that the last 2.5 games has been the game plan. Hobbled Patti, Yarnell, and a game plan that wanted no part in going downfield. I have to think he'll break out to at least some degree. I think he's better than what his stats show.

I think Mumpfield and Wayne are legit P5 WRs. Wayne has great hands and breaks tackles. Mumpfield runs great routes and has some kind of speed. But neither is a true game-breaker where he makes one move and he's gone to the house.

Wayne has been an outstanding receiver, so consistent and a big target with good hands, and even has contributed the occasional explosive play. But he’s not a “WR1”. We needed (need, not writing him off) Mumpfield to emerge as that guy. It’s not happened … yet. I truly wanted the satisfaction of saying “we didn’t miss Addison” but it’s clear we do … so far.

ADVERTISEMENT