ADVERTISEMENT

Did they decide on another site for track?

or keeping off site?

Nothing has been publicly announced. I think the best (and perhaps only) option right now is to strike a deal with the city and Parks to renovate the Schenley oval. Perhaps an alternative could be the track at University Prep.

Nothing has been publicly announced. I think the best (and perhaps only) option right now is to strike a deal with the city and Parks to renovate the Schenley oval. Perhaps an alternative could be the track at University Prep.

What happened to the plan to place it behind Trees? A quick eyeball test at the same zoom-level on Google Earth looks to place it roughly the same size as CMU's Gesling.

I found some concepts that a group made of some potential facilities. I like the idea of it, but it's too late now.
ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-53-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-55-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-51-1

Here are some more images of a proposed indoor track. The indoor track looked cool, architecturally, but perhaps cramped.

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-53-2

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-55-2

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-54-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-55-1

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The last one is still largely probable, actually.
When I said "too late" I was referring to the two that had the indoor track. But yeah, that last one looks like it could be similar to the eventual master plan created by Populous.

Proposed Trees Hall expansion (such a renovation and expansion is much needed IMO):

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-58-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-58-2

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-57-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-57-2

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-60-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-60-2

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-61-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-62-1

ZI-2QLG-2014-XJL00-SPI-62-2
Thanks Paco, you never fail to deliver. Might I ask, would that track facility be a full size track or a typical indoor size? The rest of the pictures look unbelievable. Get off your hands, Heather!

EDIT: Have you heard of any possiblities of building something on the plot between Trees and the soccer/softball stadiums? Always thought they could put some tennis courts and a athletic department office. Maybe even a mini parking garage.

Thanks Paco, you never fail to deliver. Might I ask, would that track facility be a full size track or a typical indoor size? The rest of the pictures look unbelievable. Get off your hands, Heather!

EDIT: Have you heard of any possiblities of building something on the plot between Trees and the soccer/softball stadiums? Always thought they could put some tennis courts and a athletic department office. Maybe even a mini parking garage.

That has to be a standard 200m sized indoor track. I noticed the interior sketch didn't have banked curves, which could just be the mock up, but that wouldn't have been ideal.

I'm not sure which plot you are talking about. I don't think there is room for any courts there.

That has to be a standard 200m sized indoor track. I noticed the interior sketch didn't have banked curves, which could just be the mock up, but that wouldn't have been ideal.

I'm not sure which plot you are talking about. I don't think there is room for any courts there.
Between Robinson, Carrillo, and Wadsworth. It's sits next to Trees and in front of the sports complex. I always thought they could build a retaining wall, level fill in the space to make it even with the rest of the complex, and put something there.

Between Robinson, Carrillo, and Wadsworth. It's sits next to Trees and in front of the sports complex. I always thought they could build a retaining wall, level fill in the space to make it even with the rest of the complex, and put something there.

That land is owned by the Pittsburgh Housing Authority. Even so, I don't think it makes sense to build a retaining wall for tennis courts. Talk about an expensive project for courts.

They're looking at possibly sites currently. They decided against Tress hall as it stands now, and are leaning toward a few others that would include a tennis facility as well.

Why drop track and field and add Lacrosse? Other than perhaps another practice field locker rooms the sport could utilize all the current facilities. It would be a lot cheaper then having to build both an indoor and outdoor tracks. If you are worried about Title IX keep womens cross country. Lacrosse is a growing sport and has far more airtime for the university on tv then Track and field.

Why drop track and field and add Lacrosse? Other than perhaps another practice field locker rooms the sport could utilize all the current facilities. It would be a lot cheaper then having to build both an indoor and outdoor tracks. If you are worried about Title IX keep womens cross country. Lacrosse is a growing sport and has far more airtime for the university on tv then Track and field.

Moronic to drop T&F and keep XC. You can't have any sort of half-way decent XC program without indoor and outdoor track. You might as well drop everything. Schools are more likely to drop XC and keep T&F...which is also stupid.

http://www.usatf.org/News/Track---Field-fastest-growing-and-largest-sport-am.aspx

I have no clue, but couldn't the Pete be used for tennis?
Actually yes. It wouldn't be the first time either.
530a692c-f15c-46c8-b50e-a98540a6864c_image.jpg

It seems like that could be an option for actual meets, it's just the problem would be where to have regular practices.

Last edited:
It seems like that could be an option for actual meets

Actually it really isn't. During college tennis matches they play three doubles matches simultaneously and then they play six singles matches simultaneously. Someplace with only enough room for one court isn't nearly large enough for a college tennis match.

I mean could you imagine how long a college tennis match would take if they played all nine matches consecutively rather than concurrently?

Actually it really isn't. During college tennis matches they play three doubles matches simultaneously and then they play six singles matches simultaneously. Someplace with only enough room for one court isn't nearly large enough for a college tennis match.

I mean could you imagine how long a college tennis match would take if they played all nine matches consecutively rather than concurrently?
Whoops, thanks for the correction. I guess a charity tennis tournament is a little different than a NCAA match :rolleyes: do you know where they have the matches currently? I could've swore they were using some facility at a nearby school, maybe Robert Morris. Really shows the need for a new facility.

do you know where they have the matches currently? I could've swore they were using some facility at a nearby school, maybe Robert Morris. Really shows the need for a new facility.

They currently play at the Alpha Tennis Center, which believe it or not is pretty much right across the river from the Oakmont Golf Course. That is a long drive from campus.

They currently play at the Alpha Tennis Center, which believe it or not is pretty much right across the river from the Oakmont Golf Course. That is a long drive from campus.
Oh wow, that is pathetic. This master plan that's being constructed can't come soon enough. Our athletes deserve better!

Reactions: jctrack
You are correct.

In addition to wrestling in college I joined the men's and women tennis program as a reserve /non starter player. It was a nice change of pace from
"chocking out" guys on the way to scoring pins.
Plus tennis along with golf is a nice post grad social athletic activity not to mention all the nice athletic women that you can meet playing tennis. Mrs Buffett was a starting player on the womens team at that time!

To save space most HS, U or ennis club facities squeeze six or more courts in one fenced in area rather than fencing each court or groups of two courts.
Mrs Buffett and I play at a club which has ten courts in one fenced in area leaving just enough room between courts for the players to change ends, and sit in chairs.

If the court complex is planned out properly it doesn't take up much space.
Some U's in our area rent courts from existing tennis clubs with outdoor courts for practice and matches.

Lehigh U built a great indoor/outdoor tennis facility and rents the courts to the general public in the summer and off season to defer some of the operating costs.
Lots of options for tennis facilities!

Last edited:
Dumb question perhaps, but what is stopping Pitt from just buying up everything in sight within South Oakland, even if it's more multiples on the dollar? Clearly they need campus space, and that is super low density relative to what could be built there.

Zoning?

Dumb question perhaps, but what is stopping Pitt from just buying up everything in sight within South Oakland, even if it's more multiples on the dollar? Clearly they need campus space, and that is super low density relative to what could be built there.

Zoning?

You have to have people willing to sell. The neighborhood also doesn't want the university encroaching.

You have to have people willing to sell. The neighborhood also doesn't want the university encroaching.

Isn't pretty much the entirely of South Oakland basically slums for students anyway? I'm not sure what "encroaching" they're worried about, given that any University-directed encroaching basically means nicer things.

And sure, it may not be openly for sale, but at some point everyone is going to have their price, no? Considering that dorms will rent for what is higher than market rate for a shithole apartment and given that the University needs that space to expand academically, the return should justify the expense over time.

I guess another way of looking at this is that CMU is similarly land-constrained, and they've chosen just to buy up everything on South Craig and around the campus. Not really sure why Pitt doesn't do the same. (Obviously not apples to apples, just curious to me.)

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
Isn't pretty much the entirely of South Oakland basically slums for students anyway? I'm not sure what "encroaching" they're worried about, given that any University-directed encroaching basically means nicer things.

And sure, it may not be openly for sale, but at some point everyone is going to have their price, no? Considering that dorms will rent for what is higher than market rate for a shithole apartment and given that the University needs that space to expand academically, the return should justify the expense over time.

I guess another way of looking at this is that CMU is similarly land-constrained, and they've chosen just to buy up everything on South Craig and around the campus. Not really sure why Pitt doesn't do the same. (Obviously not apples to apples, just curious to me.)

No. There are a lot of nonstudent residents.

Every one has a price? Take a look at the hold out houses in the middle of Bouquet Gardens.

Pitt is unlikely to move much further into South Oakland over what they own currently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT