ADVERTISEMENT

Digging into Utah State's resume

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
A lot of people have them higher but they are Dayton at best.

26-8 but 2 Q4 losses and only have 3 wins over NCAAT teams. Boise home and neutral and ORU at home. Their NET is ridiculous at 18 though. I cracked the code on this MWC thing. They dont play bad Q4 teams. The worst 3 teams they played are 188, 203, 230. No 300 level teams. Same thing with Nevada. Their worst 4 teams are 176 201, 250 278. Pitt played 9 games vs teams 221 or worse. The MW also play 1 D2 game which doesnt hurt your NET. For Pitt, its much better to play a PSAC team than an NEC team

26-8 but 2 Q4 losses and only have 3 wins over NCAAT teams. Boise home and neutral and ORU at home. Their NET is ridiculous at 18 though. I cracked the code on this MWC thing. They dont play bad Q4 teams. The worst 3 teams they played are 188, 203, 230. No 300 level teams. Same thing with Nevada. Their worst 4 teams are 176 201, 250 278. Pitt played 9 games vs teams 221 or worse. The MW also play 1 D2 game which doesnt hurt your NET. For Pitt, its much better to play a PSAC team than an NEC team
There’s no reason to schedule a non conference team that is projected to be lower than 250. The ACC needs to get the memo out to all their teams.

There’s no reason to schedule a non conference team that is projected to be lower than 250. The ACC needs to get the memo out to all their teams.

Going back to the RPI days, I've always said the issue is there are so many low majors in the footprint (NEC, MEAC, AE, etc) that bid against each other for paydays so ACC teams schedule these cheap games. What they need to do is schedule projected top half teams from CAA and A-Sun as well as top 25% teams from MAAC, A Sun, OVC, AE, Patriot. They need to schedule more D2s.

I think they also need to pay up and buy home games vs A10 and AAC teams. A home win over like an ECU or George Mason looks much better than Alabama State even if it costs you an extra 100K or whatever

That doesn’t seem all that different than when we were good at gaming the RPI.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
That doesn’t seem all that different than when we were good at gaming the RPI.

Correct. Jamie was great at that. The best example was that 3 seed team that lost in the 2nd Round to Xavier. That was a 6 or 7 seed team based on talent but we gamed RPI and won home games and got pretty lucky in home wins over WVU and Louisville. Not sure how these teams with 10 assistants and 18 support staff dont have a NET scheduling analyst.

I think the problem is that Capel and Lyke probably thought the conference schedule and the early season challenges would be enough. I don't think they realized how the committee was changing its evaluation. Hopefully they adjust now especially if they don't end up making the tournament.

I think the problem is that Capel and Lyke probably thought the conference schedule and the early season challenges would be enough. I don't think they realized how the committee was changing its evaluation. Hopefully they adjust now especially if they don't end up making the tournament.

Even if so, you cant play HBCU or NEC teams. That's your first step. And you have to do a better job scheduling teams near the top of their conferences. My hope is that this year, they were just trying to schedule easy wins so they can make the NIT and next year they realize that they have to be more cerebral. But everyone in the ACC schedules terrible teams whereas the MW schedules very very few Q4 games. Why have they cracked the code but no one can figure it out but me?

Reactions: Gep Dawg

Once again, you show that you absolutely do not understand what the NET is and what it is measuring.

Correct. Jamie was great at that. The best example was that 3 seed team that lost in the 2nd Round to Xavier. That was a 6 or 7 seed team based on talent but we gamed RPI and won home games and got pretty lucky in home wins over WVU and Louisville. Not sure how these teams with 10 assistants and 18 support staff dont have a NET scheduling analyst.

That team was a 3 seed because they finished 13-5 in the Big East (tied for second) and they beat Villanova and WVU and Syracuse in the Dome, which was considered the best road win college hoops that year.

While I agree that we were overseeded (going to selection Sunday I thought we'd be a four -- and we were #28 in Pomeroy), it had nothing to do with gaming the RPI. It was simply because the committee respected our Big East work, especially because we weren't at full strength until the Ohio game when Gilbert Brown has returned. (Jermaine Dixon was out previously).

But again -- it wasn't because of any gaming of the PRI. In fact, I recall our RPI was something like 18 that year that would have indicated we should have been a #4 seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT