ADVERTISEMENT

DiNucci backup in Buffalo

SteelBowl70

Redshirt
Mar 12, 2016

Bob Maddamma​

12:47 AM - AUGUST 20, 2024
Mitch Trubisky has an injured shoulder and might not be ready in time for the Bills' season opener on September 8, head coach Sean McDermott said Monday. Trubisky, who returned to Buffalo this season to back up Josh Allen. Former Pitt quarterback Ben DiNucci now moves to the primary backup roll, unless a roster move is made.
McDermott said of Trubisky and other injuries that, "It affects a lot of things. It affects practice, it affects the game this weekend, and it'll potentially affect the start of the season for a lot of those positions."

Given that Pickett had another awful practice today throwing at least one INT and missing a wide wide open TD pass, the Nooch might be in a better position.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Bob Maddamma​

Mitch Trubisky has an injured shoulder and might not be ready in time for the Bills' season opener on September 8, head coach Sean McDermott said Monday. Trubisky, who returned to Buffalo this season to back up Josh Allen. Former Pitt quarterback Ben DiNucci now moves to the primary backup roll, unless a roster move is made.
McDermott said of Trubisky and other injuries that, "It affects a lot of things. It affects practice, it affects the game this weekend, and it'll potentially affect the start of the season for a lot of those positions."

Given that Pickett had another awful practice today throwing at least one INT and missing a wide wide open TD pass, the Nooch might be in a better position.

Rumors are that Pickett may be QB3 in Philly. What kind of world are we living in where Ben Dinucci is a better NFL QB than Kenny Pickett? Did Jordan Addison make him look THAT good?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
What's the point of even having backups like Trubisky and DiNucci? You might as well, in lieu of the coin toss, just shake the other teams' hands and congratulate them on the win. Why play the game and risk injury?

It's like how we used to have to sit through a pitcher throwing four balls for an intention walk. Boring and pointless. Just give the man his base and move on.

I'm not saying Dinucci is good let alone great. But he was used horribly here at Pitt. Pitt amplified his weakness and limited his strengths. As soon as he got to JMU Cignetti and staffshowed they had a clue and put Ben in better situations.

As for Pickett, I have always said he was overrated by you guys. He has happy feet and doesn't see the field well. He refuses to step up into the pocket and runs inti defenders. He also has no touch on the ball.

Reactions: Schaef60
I'm not saying Dinucci is good let alone great. But he was used horribly here at Pitt. Pitt amplified his weakness and limited his strengths. As soon as he got to JMU Cignetti and staffshowed they had a clue and put Ben in better situations.

As for Pickett, I have always said he was overrated by you guys. He has happy feet and doesn't see the field well. He refuses to step up into the pocket and runs inti defenders. He also has no touch on the ball.

Had DiNucci gone to JMU and then the P4 I think he would have succeeded at that level. He needed to get a little success under his belt and develop a little moxie that was actually warranted, rather than him just seeming entitled after accomplishing nothing.

I do think that college DiNucci, after a year or two starting at JMU, would be better than anything we have now. But at the time, I thought Pickett was the better of the two and it wasn't all that close. I specifically remember thinking how much more zip Pickett's passes had at the 2017 NC State game. I'd also be shocked if DiNucci ever ends up in a better spot than Pickett, honestly. I think he could have been "college good" but not NFL good. Pickett is at least NFL backup-caliber, I think.

not to knock on Dinucci, the dude is making a career out of this and will never have to get a real job, one day in his life. but what this shows is that there really are a small number of actual Good QBS on this planet.

Think about it, 7+ billion people, lets say 3.5 Billion males. how many males between the playing ages of 20 and 35? lets say 600 Million. Out of 600 million men in prime athletic age, there are probably under 25 that are actually quality NFL Caliber QBs..

Had DiNucci gone to JMU and then the P4 I think he would have succeeded at that level. He needed to get a little success under his belt and develop a little moxie that was actually warranted, rather than him just seeming entitled after accomplishing nothing.

I do think that college DiNucci, after a year or two starting at JMU, would be better than anything we have now. But at the time, I thought Pickett was the better of the two and it wasn't all that close. I specifically remember thinking how much more zip Pickett's passes had at the 2017 NC State game. I'd also be shocked if DiNucci ever ends up in a better spot than Pickett, honestly. I think he could have been "college good" but not NFL good. Pickett is at least NFL backup-caliber, I think.
Again, I'm not saying he was better than Pickett, or that he was even good at all. I'm saying they misused him in the worse possible way. It really was square peg round hole.

Pickett has the physical tools to be an NFL back up, but not the mental makeup imo.

I think he could have been "college good" but not NFL good. Pickett is at least NFL backup-caliber, I think.
Pickett will be a fine backup on a good defensive team. He'll protect the ball and can win a low-scoring game. If a team needs a spark and have a backup win in a shootout, not a chance. Since he's on the Eagles, I think they're good enough that Pickett would be just fine in a stretch of football.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Dinucci is 3rd string for Buffalo. They do not see him more than the practice squad QB.

Pickett will be a fine backup on a good defensive team. He'll protect the ball and can win a low-scoring game. If a team needs a spark and have a backup win in a shootout, not a chance. Since he's on the Eagles, I think they're good enough that Pickett would be just fine in a stretch of football.
The Eagles aren't that good anymore honestly. The defense totally collapsed down the stretch last year and their O line is a shell of what it once was.

Did anyone watch that Monday Night game a few years back when Dinucci got the start for Dallas? He makes Kenny look like Peyton Manning.

Reactions: 303vND

Bob Maddamma​

Holy cow would it be nice to be as dimwitted as you. It would make going through this insane world much easier.

Dinucci is 3rd string for Buffalo. They do not see him more than the practice squad QB.
Yeah there’s no way they go into the season with DiNucci as the backup QB. However the injuries to Trubisky and Buechele did give him a real shot at making the roster.

Yeah there’s no way they go into the season with DiNucci as the backup QB. However the injuries to Trubisky and Buechele did give him a real shot at making the roster.
Yeah they like him for qb3. They are a mess for backup qb2.

I’m not so sure about Buechele being ahead of DiNucci. DiNucci was the best quarterback in the XFL while Buechele has never thrown a pass in professional football.

What's the point of even having backups like Trubisky and DiNucci? You might as well, in lieu of the coin toss, just shake the other teams' hands and congratulate them on the win. Why play the game and risk injury?

It's like how we used to have to sit through a pitcher throwing four balls for an intention walk. Boring and pointless. Just give the man his base and move on.
There was a time not too long ago when most teams had a capable backup QB that they could get by with. Of course, that was before backup QBs were jumping from one team to the next every year, never staying in the same place more than a season or maybe 2.

The Eagles aren't that good anymore honestly. The defense totally collapsed down the stretch last year and their O line is a shell of what it once was.
Making preemptive excuses for KP already?

Iggles are a top 5 NFL team in literally every preseason power ranking you can find. I’m sure you can come up with something better than the Eagles suck.

There was a time not too long ago when most teams had a capable backup QB that they could get by with. Of course, that was before backup QBs were jumping from one team to the next every year, never staying in the same place more than a season or maybe 2.
Pitt's very own Alex Van Pelt is a perfect example of this.

Credit to DiNucci for working his butt off and blowing up his RS SR year at JMU.

But, his first year there (his RS JR year) he had 2.2K yards passing with 16 TDs and 13 INTs. It wasn't like he hit the ground running at that FCS school. If we're talking about production in college, that's important to remember.

His numbers as a 5th year SR while very impressive pale in comparisons to Pickett's numbers as a 5th year SR as well. Pickett accounted for 1K+ more yards and maybe 15~ more TDs accounted for in his 5th final, year.

So what are we really talking about here?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Credit to DiNucci for working his butt off and blowing up his RS SR year at JMU.

But, his first year there (his RS JR year) he had 2.2K yards passing with 16 TDs and 13 INTs. It wasn't like he hit the ground running at that FCS school. If we're talking about production in college, that's important to remember.

His numbers as a 5th year SR while very impressive pale in comparisons to Pickett's numbers as a 5th year SR as well. Pickett accounted for 1K+ more yards and maybe 15~ more TDs accounted for in his 5th final, year.

So what are we really talking about here?
I'm not sure if this is addressed to me or not, but i am assuming you are since im being the Dinycci defender on this thread. I never said Dinicci > Pickett. Pickett is and was better. Never once did I say otherwise. My point and what I stated was the Pitt staff did Ben wrong in how they used him. They literally exposed his weaknesses and limited his strengths.

I'm not sure if this is addressed to me or not, but i am assuming you are since im being the Dinycci defender on this thread. I never said Dinicci > Pickett. Pickett is and was better. Never once did I say otherwise. My point and what I stated was the Pitt staff did Ben wrong in how they used him. They literally exposed his weaknesses and limited his strengths.
The undeniable genius of Shawn Watson….

I know Watson's offense was not pretty (although it did deliver a division championship), and I get it was a different Cignetti, but after what I saw from Pitt's offense last season--which was an abomination--I find it hard to believe that a Cignetti could be that type of magician.

I know Watson's offense was not pretty (although it did deliver a division championship), and I get it was a different Cignetti, but after what I saw from Pitt's offense last season--which was an abomination--I find it hard to believe that a Cignetti could be that type of magician.
Not sure what to tell you. The Cignetti in question took IUP deep into the D2 playoffs, Elon to the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the 1st time ever, JMU to the FCS national championship game then a 11-1 record its 1st season in FBS.

He is now on the 1st season at Indiana.

Hi staff is littered with early 30 year old Pitt alums.

As for Frank, at one time he was a top OC, he got old and lost it. It happens in every profession under the sun.

Was Cignetti the HC when he put up extremely pedestrian numbers at JMU as a RS JR before he broke out as a RS SR? Simply asking because I don't know.

For comparison‘s sake, Kenny’s first start wasn’t particularly good.
That is true, but the Cowboys couldn't even attempt real passes when Dinucci was back there. It was a different level of bad.

nothing will ever beat nate Peterman in that playoff game a few years back lol.
We haven't had a great run on NFL QBs lately. Tyler Palko in Kansas City was an all timer too. I actually felt bad for him he just looked so outmatched.

We haven't had a great run on NFL QBs lately. Tyler Palko in Kansas City was an all timer too. I actually felt bad for him he just looked so outmatched.
yeah, the steelers made him look bad. that was an ugly game..

Not sure what to tell you. The Cignetti in question took IUP deep into the D2 playoffs, Elon to the FCS playoffs in back to back seasons for the 1st time ever, JMU to the FCS national championship game then a 11-1 record its 1st season in FBS.

He is now on the 1st season at Indiana.

Hi staff is littered with early 30 year old Pitt alums.

As for Frank, at one time he was a top OC, he got old and lost it. It happens in every profession under the sun.
I don't think Frank was ever a "top" OC, but to the extent he was a successful one, that phase of his career ended at the same time as his first stint at Pitt under Wanny. That was a long ass time ago.

Hiring an out of touch schleprock like Cignetti to run your college offense in 2022 was one of numerous cases of head coaching malpractice by Narzuddi.

Agree with you about the other Cig. Completely different type of animal. Weird take by the poster you were responding to, painting one Cig with the same brush as the other, just because they're brothers.

Reactions: Mikefln
Holy cow would it be nice to be as dimwitted as you. It would make going through this insane world much easier.

Nooch had a good game today while Kenny struggled again.​

Before being taken out for the game, DiNucci finished the game going 11/15 for 76 yards and one touchdown. Sean McDermott gave high praise to DiNucci’s performance after the game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT