ADVERTISEMENT

Directv Does It Again

Contract with Disney expired so no Espn stations or ACCN. Will switch to Xfinity now.
Is it DirecTV or Disney who’s at fault?

“This marks the second year in a row that ESPN has gone off the air due to a major carrier dispute. For nearly two weeks last year, Disney and Spectrum were at an impasse before finally reaching an agreement hours before the first Monday night game of the NFL season.”

I *just* switched from DirecTv after almost 30 years to YouTube TV and loving it.
More than half the price and I get everything that I want.

Also splurged for the NFL Sunday Ticket on YTTV.

When Pitt and the Steelers make the playoffs;), I'll be ready!

I *just* switched from DirecTv after almost 30 years to YouTube TV and loving it.
More than half the price and I get everything that I want.

Also splurged for the NFL Sunday Ticket on YTTV.

When Pitt and the Steelers make the playoffs;), I'll be ready!
You will not be disappointed by YTTV. I have had Xfinity, Fubo and all of the others are various times and YTTV is the best of all. The only downside is they don’t carry SportsNet Pittsburgh for the Pirates and Pens games, at least where I live.

You will not be disappointed by YTTV. I have had Xfinity, Fubo and all of the others are various times and YTTV is the best of all. The only downside is they don’t carry SportsNet Pittsburgh for the Pirates and Pens games, at least where I live.
Also, the way they handled Sunday Ticket was so awesome last year and watching college football is awesome because they have dozens of mix channels so that you can watch multiple games at once. Word is you can customize your mix channels for the NFL this year. We shall see this weekend.

Reactions: NC Panther
Also, the way they handled Sunday Ticket was so awesome last year and watching college football is awesome because they have dozens of mix channels so that you can watch multiple games at once. Word is you can customize your mix channels for the NFL this year. We shall see this weekend.

I cant even watch college football unless I do the 4 game multi-view. If its games I don't necessarily care about, I just have 4 on at once and toggle the audio between the most interesting game. Maybe other providers do this too but its simply awesome

Related question: I still carry minimal DISH service mainly because every so often I try to get a channel which makes me use my DISH credentials to get the channel. Wife and I actually never watch DISH - we stream everything (via HULU, Netflix, Prime etc).

Is that the way it has to work - being connected to a provider to be able to get some channels?

Contract with Disney expired so no Espn stations or ACCN. Will switch to Xfinity now.
Dude, this isn't a Directv problem. It's a Disney problem. They have purchased most of what you want to see, and they are going to make sure you pay out the ass to see it. Read about this; it's amazing how much money they want, per person, even if that person might not ever watch ESPN. The situation overall is untenable. Pretty soon they will be asking for $100 per subscriber from Directv and everyone else. It's insane. When all of this started the rates were like 50 CENTS per subscriber.

I understand your anger. Just make sure it's going in the right direction. And by the way, I too am a Directv subscriber.

The only downside is they don’t carry SportsNet Pittsburgh for the Pirates and Pens games,
I could live with that because NHL season begins with the play-offs and I have had it with the Pirates. When i found out I was gonna pay a little more for Pirates on Xfin. I said no way........but my Yinzer wife insisted she could not make it through the summer without them........I dropped something, can't remeber what but it was a wash, basically the same price....

Dude, this isn't a Directv problem. It's a Disney problem. They have purchased most of what you want to see, and they are going to make sure you pay out the ass to see it. Read about this; it's amazing how much money they want, per person, even if that person might not ever watch ESPN. The situation overall is untenable. Pretty soon they will be asking for $100 per subscriber from Directv and everyone else. It's insane. When all of this started the rates were like 50 CENTS per subscriber.

I understand your anger. Just make sure it's going in the right direction. And by the way, I too am a Directv subscriber.

Disney has the best content by far because they offer the best live sports. They could get almost any price.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I really wish YouTube TV, ESPN app, and the other streaming sites would let you record and watch at 1.5 speed. I record a bunch of games in Directv and one thing I like to do if a game is slightly boring, or if I am tired, or in between snaps in football etc, is to fast forward. You can still watch the game, just at a slightly faster playback. I can’t do that with any of the streaming services… they just tend to skip ahead but not in any way watchable.

Related question: I still carry minimal DISH service mainly because every so often I try to get a channel which makes me use my DISH credentials to get the channel. Wife and I actually never watch DISH - we stream everything (via HULU, Netflix, Prime etc).

Is that the way it has to work - being connected to a provider to be able to get some channels?
Yes. I have YTTV and use it to watch ESPN replays .

Well, this is what happens when you pay billions of dollars to broadcast football.

I dumped Direct TV the last time this happened and went with an internet service provider. I get Ticket, and all the major sports Networks (MLB, NHL, etc), ESPN+ and every major station in the country for $45 a month. Best decision I made. Theres not a game or fight I cant watch.

If you live in what is considered to be SportsNet Pittsburgh's market you can stream the games as a stand alone product. No cable or other streaming service required. I believe it's $18 per month.
Again, as a serial channel changer, I only stream when I absolutely have to because I hate it take like 3-4 minutes to switch between things when you stream instead of 1-2 seconds.

Again, as a serial channel changer, I only stream when I absolutely have to because I hate it take like 3-4 minutes to switch between things when you stream instead of 1-2 seconds.

YTTV has the same channel guide that cable has. You can scroll through the channels and pick whatever you want. Granted, it does take 1-2 seconds to "load" the channel compated to instantly with cable but that's not a big deal. And YTTV lets you customize your channel list. For me, ACCN is "Channel 1" then ESPN is 2, ESPN2 is 3, BTN is 100, etc.

YTTV has the same channel guide that cable has. You can scroll through the channels and pick whatever you want. Granted, it does take 1-2 seconds to "load" the channel compated to instantly with cable but that's not a big deal. And YTTV lets you customize your channel list. For me, ACCN is "Channel 1" then ESPN is 2, ESPN2 is 3, BTN is 100, etc.
It doesn't carry the local channels that carry the Pens and Pirates

It doesn't carry the local channels that carry the Pens and Pirates

Dont need cable to watch the Pens and Pirates anymore

Yeah, arranging the channels in whatever order you want is a big plus for YTTV.

After 30+ years, i fired them and went with dish. Greedy ****ers.

This is what happens when fans want their schools to make as much money as possible for a seat at the big boy table. The money comes from "TV". But "TV" doesn't print money. "TV" money comes from the fans. It is amazing that many are surprised that the costs to watch these games is getting passed on to them.

This is what happens when fans want their schools to make as much money as possible for a seat at the big boy table. The money comes from "TV". But "TV" doesn't print money. "TV" money comes from the fans. It is amazing that many are surprised that the costs to watch these games is getting passed on to them.
Funny how that works, ain't it?

Reactions: USN_Panther
I had YTTV and switched to DTV Stream since I caught the Skenes hypetrain and needed Pittsburgh Sportsnet, so I switched. I really like DTV since using it. Now at this point, I would just create a new gmail account to sign up for YTTV to take the 21 day intro offer. Hopefully this issue is resolved within 21 days, then I can cancel. DTV is also offering a $25 credit if you try to cancel and there is a link for that.

TV money also comes from advertising which is where the real money comes from. The subscriber money is cash flow, the ad money is the profit.

TV money also comes from advertising which is where the real money comes from. The subscriber money is cash flow, the ad money is the profit.
Newsflash. You're paying for that too in the price of your products.

Selling ads is how the networks make money. Well that and the fee they charged cable/satellite/streaming providers. As a fan, you aren't really paying for the amount ESPN charges Pepsi. You are paying for the amount ESPN charges Comcast or DirecTV.

Selling ads is how the networks make money. Well that and the fee they charged cable/satellite/streaming providers. As a fan, you aren't really paying for the amount ESPN charges Pepsi. You are paying for the amount ESPN charges Comcast or DirecTV.
If you drink Pepsi you are paying it.

Newsflash. You're paying for that too in the price of your products.
Newsflash, only if you buy the product that is advertised. Mellow Mushroom can advertise all it wants, I'll never buy it.
Also, every company has a budget set aside for advertising, how they distribute that budget is up to them. If they choose to pay a premium to advertise for sports is up to them.

I could live with that because NHL season begins with the play-offs and I have had it with the Pirates. When i found out I was gonna pay a little more for Pirates on Xfin. I said no way........but my Yinzer wife insisted she could not make it through the summer without them........I dropped something, can't remeber what but it was a wash, basically the same price....
I guarantee you your overall life will be better if you just stop watching the Pirates. Even if you were like me and you'd watch maybe 7 innings total every week that's a few hours you get back to do something less depressing than watching Bob Nuttings investment vehicle pretend to be a baseball team.

I have zero regrets about switching to YouTube TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT