ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Uiagalelei to Portal

He must have had compromising photos of Dabo or his wife. He is truly one of the worst blue bloodish starting QB's I've ever seen. How could Clemson not do better than him. I mean this is a 2 year starting QB for a Top 5ish at times team and I would not want him here at Pitt. I'd take Slovis or Jurkovec

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Did you see them play this year? DJ was a lot more mobile than Phil this year. DJ was a lot more mobile in general because he lost weight.
A healthy Jurkovec can extend plays and pick up yards with his legs. PJ wasn’t healthy this year.

Jurkovec is more mobile. That’s the edge he has on DJ.
Maybe at one time he was. But he was injured this year and as Chair said DJ lost a lot of weight and ran much better.

DJ ran for 545 yards and over 3 yards per carry more than Phil.

I don’t think either is anything special as a QB. Maybe if Phil gets healthy and cuts out the bonehead plays he could help.

I think there are and will be better options then both in the portal.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Did you see them play this year? DJ was a lot more mobile than Phil this year. DJ was a lot more mobile in general because he lost weight.
Yes. DJ rushed for more than 700 yds and & 7 TDs. Take away his lost yardage on sacks and he was well over 500 yds rushing. That is better than just being mobile.

He also threw for over 2500 yds with 22 TDs and 7 Ints. Put those numbers next to Slovis and some here would talk of what a nice season he had.

The fact that Swinney was willing to pull DJ during his struggles, and he did have those, just shows that Swinney coaches with his head. Plus he had another 5* backup in the wings. I don't know where DJ ends up and how his career will continue, but statistically he was much better than what we threw out there week after week.

The Panthers need to explore every option, not just settle for a one year deal with a hometown boy that their OC once coached.

Maybe at one time he was. But he was injured this year and as Chair said DJ lost a lot of weight and ran much better.

DJ ran for 545 yards and over 3 yards per carry more than Phil.

I don’t think either is anything special as a QB. Maybe if Phil gets healthy and cuts out the bonehead plays he could help.

I think there are and will be better options then both in the portal.
There will definitely be better options in the Portal, but the question is who can Pitt realistically land.

There will definitely be better options in the Portal, but the question is who can Pitt realistically land.
True but we did land a guy Slovis who was a “name guy”. If Slovis leaves let’s at least see who we get before taking Phil. Yes Phil knows the system but is he really an upgrade? Neither he or Slovis have shown they can go beyond their first read. Everyone says Armstrong is a 1 read type but I would take him over either. Yep he was bad but very few in the nation lost as much as he lost. And he runs better than both.

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ
I think he throws a way better ball than Jurkovec. DJ will probably start for UCLA next season.
You're way too enamored with what a football looks like coming out of a QB's hand. DJ throws a nice spiral and has a cannon, but he's terribly inaccurate, has no touch, and has the awareness of Slovis.

Looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.

Apparently you don't consider what DJ would look like playing for BC rather than Clemson. DJ makes Jurkovec look like Joe Montana
I'm surprised people are trashing Jurkovec. With the talent at Pitt, I think he should look a lot more like the 2020 version of himself than what we've seen lately, assuming he stays healthy. I think he would be a solid addition.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You're way too enamored with what a football looks like coming out of a QB's hand. DJ throws a nice spiral and has a cannon, but he's terribly inaccurate, has no touch, and has the awareness of Slovis.

It's mental with Slovis & DJ. I think they are both simply borderline uncoachable. They can both keep it together and be productive for a limited period of time, string a couple of good games together, but they will both inevitably self-destruct.

I give Dabo a lot of credit for how he handled his QB situation. Dabo Osteen gave DJ as many pep talks as he could to pump him full of confidence, and had his back since the day he took the reins from Trevor without a quick hook, or throwing his freshman out there for an extended time before he was ready. And when Klubnik eventually grew into the role, he gave him the keys.

Dabo tacked on a 10-3 and an 11-2 ACC Championship during his trip through QB purgatory, thanks to building a team that can play physical and win in the trenches. And not to say the future is all sunshine with Klubnik, as UNC's secondary is horrible, & Tennessee's is equally atrocious, but it's clear it was time. My only criticism is that he really needs to be a little more flexible in how he views the transfer portal. It could come back to bite him hard.

Lol, silly me. I thought being able to throw harder, longer, and a tighter spiral mattered. I'm sure this will just be the latest instance of you schooling me - like when you got on me for saying this recruiting class won't finish in the top 25.

Phil is coming to Pitt so of course he's better, right? And if DJ were coming to Pitt I'm sure being the better thrower would actually matter. And two weeks ago you were telling me Pickett's arm is about as strong as Joe Milton's, lol. Starting to sense a theme, little guy.

Last edited:
Lol, silly me. I thought being able to throw harder, longer, and a tighter spiral mattered. I'm sure this will just be the latest instance of you schooling me - like when you got on me for saying this recruiting class won't finish in the top 25.

Phil is coming to Pitt so of course he's better, right? And if DJ were coming to Pitt I'm sure being the better thrower would actually matter. And two weeks ago you were telling me Pickett's arm is about as strong as Joe Milton's, lol. Starting to sense a theme, little guy.
Latest instance of me schooling you? If you're gonna obsess over everything I say on here, at least get it right. Pull the context of the top 25 class comment, because I can't remember what you were crying about then.

It takes a lot more to be a serviceable QB than a big arm. Phil is better than DJ, not because he's great, but because DJ sucks as a QB.

I told you Pickett had enough arm to play in the NFL and never said it was as strong as your man crush Joe Milton. Another tarzan that plays like Jane. Apparently that's your type.

Latest instance of me schooling you? If you're gonna obsess over everything I say on here, at least get it right. Pull the context of the top 25 class comment, because I can't remember what you were crying about then.

It takes a lot more to be a serviceable QB than a big arm. Phil is better than DJ, not because he's great, but because DJ sucks as a QB.

I told you Pickett had enough arm to play in the NFL and never said it was as strong as your man crush Joe Milton. Another tarzan that plays like Jane. Apparently that's your type.

I said DJ throws a better ball than Jurkovec. That's all I said. But because one is now associated with Pitt, you went off on this stupid tangent about how much better Phil is as a QB, etc. Yeah, I do think throwing the football well matters at the QB position. Smoking hot take.

Why? Not where he should be but lots to work with. I take him in a heartbeat and if he doesnt win starter then good backup.
Are you on dope? We have enough “backups”. What Pitt needs is a reliable starter. DJ ain’t it… Like someone mentioned already, he had 5 Star talent around him (including the water boy) and he still couldn’t get it done…

I said DJ throws a better ball than Jurkovec. That's all I said. But because one is now associated with Pitt, you went off on this stupid tangent about how much better Phil is as a QB, etc. Yeah, I do think throwing the football well matters at the QB position. Smoking hot take.
You're right, I said Phil is better than DJ to another poster when pointing out playing with guys from BC is a little different than playing with guys from Clemson. I've also said Phil is a flawed QB, but I'd take him over Slovis.

Mark it down in your notepad for future gotcha takes.

I also was also very concerned with Slovis before the season started. Not being a miserable blowhard doesn't make one a cheerleader.

I'm surprised people are trashing Jurkovec. With the talent at Pitt, I think he should look a lot more like the 2020 version of himself than what we've seen lately, assuming he stays healthy. I think he would be a solid addition.
Its not really surprising. He got the crap beat out of him this year, got hurt, tried to fight through it for a while and looked pretty bad in doing so.

The games I saw, he was getting pounded but still hadn't been broken down yet. He was moving great but only being rewarded by getting hit/sacked more, not with positive yards. On the broadcast I was watching, they showed a graphic where he was hit on a higher percentage of dropbacks than any other QB in all of football and it wasn't close. He may have been clobbered more this year than any other QB in football history at any level. It was THAT bad.

It took years for some QB's like Plunkett, Aikman, Bradshaw to get over lesser beatings and many QB's never shake out of it. I think its a legit question to ask of him.

Yes. DJ rushed for more than 700 yds and & 7 TDs. Take away his lost yardage on sacks and he was well over 500 yds rushing. That is better than just being mobile.

He also threw for over 2500 yds with 22 TDs and 7 Ints. Put those numbers next to Slovis and some here would talk of what a nice season he had.

The fact that Swinney was willing to pull DJ during his struggles, and he did have those, just shows that Swinney coaches with his head. Plus he had another 5* backup in the wings. I don't know where DJ ends up and how his career will continue, but statistically he was much better than what we threw out there week after week.

The Panthers need to explore every option, not just settle for a one year deal with a hometown boy that their OC once coached.
Ahem…portal movement requires recruiting. Cigs has nothing at his disposal to lure anyone with an ounce of pedigree. The university itself is not the attraction to 3-4 year players looking for a shot. Pitt won’t be in a position to slow play the next Chubby Purdy or whoever it was last year. Gonna be tough to explore options if kids look diligently at what they’re getting into.

I would take DJ. The guy did win 10 games both seasons. In our (recent) conservative offense he might thrive. A lot of pressure at Clemson week in and week out. We would be lucky to have him. I think he's more talented than Jurkovec. But Jurkovec has a history of success with our current offensive coordinator so I think having him would be great as well.

I would take DJ. The guy did win 10 games both seasons. In our (recent) conservative offense he might thrive. A lot of pressure at Clemson week in and week out. We would be lucky to have him. I think he's more talented than Jurkovec. But Jurkovec has a history of success with our current offensive coordinator so I think having him would be great as well.
uh, Clemson won in spite of him not because of him in any way...pass....the kid stinks.

Its not really surprising. He got the crap beat out of him this year, got hurt, tried to fight through it for a while and looked pretty bad in doing so.

The games I saw, he was getting pounded but still hadn't been broken down yet. He was moving great but only being rewarded by getting hit/sacked more, not with positive yards. On the broadcast I was watching, they showed a graphic where he was hit on a higher percentage of dropbacks than any other QB in all of football and it wasn't close. He may have been clobbered more this year than any other QB in football history at any level. It was THAT bad.

It took years for some QB's like Plunkett, Aikman, Bradshaw to get over lesser beatings and many QB's never shake out of it. I think its a legit question to ask of him.

He's a young guy. He should be fine. I remember Kurt Warner getting the hell beat out of him in NY, and everybody thought his career was through. He went to Arizona and got a new lease on life. I'm optimistic Jurkovec will be okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT