ADVERTISEMENT

Do some of these blowout scores in NCAAF seem at all different?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I dont know, maybe its just me but I see some of these scores come in and it seems like WPIAL football a lot of times where every game is a blowout. I wonder if its the redistribution of talent through the portal or just the over-reliance or the portal hurting teams who were supposed to be good but haven't gelled (FSU, NC St).

Some examples:

JMU: 53 at half and 70 for game at UNC

SMU: 41 at half and 66 for game vs TCU

Pitt: 73 on YSU. YSU is FCS but Pitt isnt a program who you think would normally put up 73 on anybody

Kent St: maybe the worst FBS of all time, should any group of 85 FBS players be this bad? Outgained by PSU 718-68

Texas Tech: was up 49-7 at halftime vs a North Texas team who beat South Alabama 52-38. Then South Alabama beats FCS Northwestern State 87-10. Should South Alabama drop near 90 on anyone.

Should NC St ever be down 35-0 at half to a good but not great Clemson team?

There's other example of this but I see these scores come across and I just scratch my head.

Last edited:
I dont know, maybe its just me but I see some of these scores come in and it seems like WPIAL football a lot of times where every game is a blowout. I wonder if the redistribution of talent through the portal or just the over-reliance on the portal has really hurt teams who were supposed to be good (FSU, NC St).

Some examples:

JMU: 53 at half and 70 for game at UNC

SMU: 41 at half and 66 for game vs TCU

Pitt: 73 on YSU. YSU is FCS but Pitt isnt a program who you think would normally put up 73 on anybody

Kent St: maybe the worst FBS of all time, should any group of 85 FBS players be this bad? Outgained 718-68 vs PSU

Texas Tech: was up 49-7 at halftime vs a North Texas team who beat South Alabama 52-38. Then South Alabama beats FCS Northwestern State 87-10. Should South Alabama drop near 90 on anyone.

There's other example of this but I see these scores come across and I just scratch my head.
SMF...I have noticed the same thing. but I attribute that to schools now realizing that how they win means just as much as winning the game because they are all chasing the pollsters votes for the playoffs. In regards to Pitt putting up 73 on YSU, that is a good thing. I am glad to see that Narduzzi let Bell run the offense in the 2nd half the same way he did in the 1st half. Not only to gain some attention form pollsters but to give the backups a chance to play in a real game situation. Pitt would never have done that under cignetti and that's why Pitt would be at best 2-2 right now if he was still herer. Love having Kade Bell here and Pitt would be really smart to approach the man NOW and sign him to a long term deal before some of the big boys come calling and they will.

Reactions: PITT 76
I very distinctly remember teams winning 70-0, or thereabouts, in some of these early season matchups for as long as I've been a fan. I don't think much has changed.

From a Pitt standpoint, I remember watching the 72-0 game against Ohio State when I was younger, and I also remember being at a season opener against Delware we won like 62-0.

Probably not an overstatement. They lost at home to St. Francis. Was down 65-0 at halftime to Tennessee.
Their QB got smashed on the 2nd play of the game and was stretchered off. Scoring a single point with him in the game was going to be difficult, let alone with a backup.

I very distinctly remember teams winning 70-0, or thereabouts, in some of these early season matchups for as long as I've been a fan. I don't think much has changed.

From a Pitt standpoint, I remember watching the 72-0 game against Ohio State when I was younger, and I also remember being at a season opener against Delware we won like 62-0.

Yes but my point is its teams who shouldnt be separated by 40 points in the 1st Half mainly. Like they'll be some random game where like Iowa State is beating UCF or whoever 49-7 at halftime. Seems like there's a few halftime or final scores I see every week and I am kinda shocked. I never remember feeling like this in past seasons. Even Tennessee 65-0 at half vs Kent State, I was pretty shocked by.

I just wonder if some of these teams have just gotten picked so clean in the portal that they just cant compete. Take YSU example. They lost 10 guys from last year's team to FBS including DT Anthony Johnson from Jeannette who I'm not yet has played a down for us yet. I dont know how good any of those players are but they had guy go to Michigan and Texas A&M. YSU was 8-5 last year so its not like they were some FCS juggernaut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT