Do you work...

• Fully remote from home

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Fully at the office

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 34 35.1%

• Total voters
I work exclusively from home (and did pre pandemic). If it meant me keeping my job I’d go back in, but if it’s my choice I’ll work from home until I’m done.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
What types of jobs do you have all have that work at home? Seems appealing to me

I’m hybrid but depends what I have to work on if I’m home or at facility. But international travel and domestic travel is involved also. Federal government lifted restrictions on international travel months ago which means I’ll be all over the place when needed. Africa, Central Asia, Europe, southeast Asia, and South America.

Reactions: 303vND
Expecting employees to come in is more about accountability and justifying the lease or purchase of office space. You can do a lot of jobs remotely and virtually. The days of sending someone on a plane to go meet with a team for 30 minutes should be over. They days of getting a few handshakes should be over. There are ways to keep accountability and monitor productivity.
Only issue of course is keeping the employee motivated, productive, and focused on the job.
There is a new trend and that’s people working two remote full time jobs now. If you can keep from burning out and stay productive and advance the company, by all means go for it. But I just can’t see that as a long term lifestyle. I could do a part time consulting gig on the side but no way would I want to do two full time remote jobs.

I think it comes down to personal preference and job type. I work remotely from home and have for some time now. I do not have younger kids any longer so I do not need to get out of the house to be productive. To each their own!

My daughter and a childhood friend of hers have lives that mirror each other. Both went to school for the same thing, played a sport and used their post graduate year of eligibility to get a masters, and both hit the job market with the same skill set.

my daughters friend took a job that is 100% remote and making 10% more than a job my daughter took that was 20% remote (1 day per week). We encouraged my daughter to take her job because of the company it’s with. We thought it was best for her career. Plus going into an office for a young professional is probably good for acquiring certain skills.

in any event, 2 months after hired, my daughters company went 80% remote (4 days per week). So it worked out for her. That’s the way of the world in 2022.

We do four weeks in the office and four weeks at home. There is zero need to ever be in the office, so I assume the reasoning is that they just don't want to relinquish total control. I could see justifying it while the lease was in tact, but they've recently renewed the lease. We did downsize a bit (got rid of our bottom floor and now split cubes/offices with the people on the opposite rotation).

Had I not been able to work from home during year-end last year, I'd have been screwed. I put a lot of extra hours in that would have sucked to have to do at the office. This year, I'll be in the office during this time. So I expect to be an about rattlesnake during that month.

I also have a few co-workers who are pretty psychotic, so being in the office is not good for my well-being. I'm psychotic, too, so it's like the west wing at the psych ward up there. But I can hide my psycho, and they can't. Working with them sucks quite a bit.

This thread makes the assumption that most on here work. Guessing there are quite a few retired folks as well as those that abuse the government teat.

I work hybrid. Usually two days at home and three in the office depending on my travel schedule.

This thread makes the assumption that most on here work. Guessing there are quite a few retired folks as well as those that abuse the government teat.

I work hybrid. Usually two days at home and three in the office depending on my travel schedule.

That's a weird cheapshot for seemingly no reason...?

Reactions: BurghGuy68
We do four weeks in the office and four weeks at home. There is zero need to ever be in the office, so I assume the reasoning is that they just don't want to relinquish total control. I could see justifying it while the lease was in tact, but they've recently renewed the lease. We did downsize a bit (got rid of our bottom floor and now split cubes/offices with the people on the opposite rotation).

Had I not been able to work from home during year-end last year, I'd have been screwed. I put a lot of extra hours in that would have sucked to have to do at the office. This year, I'll be in the office during this time. So I expect to be an about rattlesnake during that month.

I also have a few co-workers who are pretty psychotic, so being in the office is not good for my well-being. I'm psychotic, too, so it's like the west wing at the psych ward up there. But I can hide my psycho, and they can't. Working with them sucks quite a bit.
Yeah co workers are the worst part of work. Looking to retire next summer due to the drive and crazy co workers. Would work for 5 more years if I could work from home.

A mild hybrid for my situation. Groups are convened in person strictly on an ad hoc basis. The weakness in the model is when meetings need to include both in person and remote folks, the tech has really improved for the all-remote, but is still a bit clumsy (and seems redundant) when having hybrid cc’s… everyone in the conference room ends up participating through their individual screens anyway, in order to still be seen by the remote participants; but if they don’t, everyone on the remote call merely see the pan view and the echoed audio

I have been fully remote since 2012 now. I travel, for example I am leaving in an hour or 2 to travel to always exciting Indianapolis. I am in sales. I could never do a full office job again. I hate routine. But if not traveling, working from home can get boring. My dogs love it. But it is funny, I love to go visit customers/cities/trade shows, but after 3 days I want to go home. After 3 days at home, I want to go on the road.

Though Covid has effected my job, since so many people now work more remote, it is much harder to get appointments and a nasty thing popped up during Covid shutdowns. Since people were grounded, managers looked for things to do. Especially upper level, so they have had more zoom meetings, and constant forecast and strategy meetings, that was great during the shutdown because you couldn't travel. But now we are supposed to be meeting with customers and they still expect the same access to us now.

I technically work from home but really spend about 70% of the year traveling for work. I have only had one job that required me to go to the office and I hated it so a requirement for me to even be interested in changing jobs or companies is working from home.

I don't know how you guys pull off the traveling. If I see that a job might require even 5% traveling, it's a no-go.

But I'm a big pet person, so maybe I would feel differently if I didn't have a zoo at my house. I don't think so, though, because it would make it so difficult to get anything done around the house if I was gone all week. It's difficult enough now.

What types of jobs do you have all have that work at home? Seems appealing to me
i'm a bikini inspector. can do it all remotely but it's better in person.

Expecting employees to come in is more about accountability and justifying the lease or purchase of office space. You can do a lot of jobs remotely and virtually. The days of sending someone on a plane to go meet with a team for 30 minutes should be over. They days of getting a few handshakes should be over. There are ways to keep accountability and monitor productivity.
Only issue of course is keeping the employee motivated, productive, and focused on the job.
There is a new trend and that’s people working two remote full time jobs now. If you can keep from burning out and stay productive and advance the company, by all means go for it. But I just can’t see that as a long term lifestyle. I could do a part time consulting gig on the side but no way would I want to do two full time remote jobs.

it's good for the younger employees to go into the office. they learn how to be a professional, learn the company culture, etc. people who have been around have no reason to go in.

The only people who want people in the office are worthless and insecure management types

i'm a bikini inspector. can do it all remotely but it's better in person.

it's good for the younger employees to go into the office. they learn how to be a professional, learn the company culture, etc. people who have been around have no reason to go in.
They don’t learn shit .
Company culture is set by admin based on hiring and training

I predicted that you would get it wrong.

I’m in sales.

I either work over the phone, or I go to the customer.
Some sales jobs can be done 100% over the phone. Some have to be done 100% in person. Some a mix. It depends. If you have a sales job which requires face to face interaction (like a pharmaceutical rep), that cant be done fully remote from home

During Covid my classified Federal Facility actually allowed people to work from home probably up to 60%. I can’t say I was more productive but I did get things done quickly since no distractions. However at work I might go take a look at something I would not have thought to do at home. I know some of my work force were definitely not more efficient. They basically treated it like vacation with some amount of work to do during a day. That being Said, they usually didn’t do a ton of work in the office.

The thing I hated most about working at home was there really were no designated hours. People thought you were available all the time and would set up calls, etc after hours.

At a point I volunteered to go back into the office full time so I did not have to deal with that. I really did not like changing my zen serenity castle into a place where the office infiltrated.

100% remote, and have been since 2016. 2013-16 I was 80% remote. But then again, I travel a lot…

Madeira last week, Istanbul the week before, Amsterdam the week before that…. And quite a few more coming up.

I'm curious. I have a potential job opportunity, but it's not remote and I think I'll just stay with my current situation, which is fully remote.

I can't imagine going back to a typical 9-5 type of office job. So much time is wasted just traveling back and forth.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I can't imagine going back to a typical 9-5 type of office job. So much time is wasted just traveling back and forth.

That's just it. Add in being stuck in traffic and it isn't worth it. Plus, as someone mentioned earlier if I need to get an oil change, I don't need to worry about the timing. So much easier for simple things like that throughout the day.

The only people who want people in the office are worthless and insecure management types
Wow. Stereotype much? Sounds like you have a real problem working with people who you report to.

BTW, executives usually set policy like this, not management types.

I worked as a remote Corporate employee from 2002 until I retired in 2016. Although I was based in Pittsburgh most of my Corporate Account business was in Houston, Denver and Seattle. In 2008 I got a promotion which reduced my travel to the NE which was great. The only people who had heartburn about it were some Senior Management who wanted more control over people.

I work from home 100%, used to be 2 days home and 3 days in office before the pandemic, I wish we could return to that, but we aren't going to, I'm actually bored out of my mind never having to go anywhere on any weekday. I seriously have become both physically and mentally less healthy being forced to stay near a laptop at home by myself 8 hours a day. Sure I do my job and there are less distractions, but I'm the kind of person that actually wanted the distractions, like talking to people in person and hearing about their kids or pets or what they thought about the NFL games yesterday. We used to have a lot of great office parties, happy hour, even sports teams, even sexual relationships :) when I was younger, but people don't want that kind of socializing anymore, they are extremely happy bragging about never changing out of their pajamas all day, I get up, take a shower and put on clothes every day to work from home just to feel human. Anyways, I'm retiring very soon, and actually I plan to find some job or volunteer gig, where I have to get dressed and GO SOMEWHERE in person a few days a week, I feel sorry for those that will be working from home for like 30-40 years straight. Call me Boomer, I gladly accept that label.

Some sales jobs can be done 100% over the phone. Some have to be done 100% in person. Some a mix. It depends. If you have a sales job which requires face to face interaction (like a pharmaceutical rep), that cant be done fully remote from home
Pharm reps absolutely do not need face to face time .
We meet virtually with vendors all the time .
The only exclusion is big RFI events when we want a formal presentation

I’ve literally met with Cooper Pharma twice virtually , and now awaiting a signature request from my director to set up a bunch of accounts - all via email

that's not true. there are whole industries who research this stuff, you know.
I’ll read the research - feel free to link it .
Same industries who thought open concept offices were a good idea ? Then cubicles ?
Business consultants stealing money from suckers are the only people who would benefit

ADVERTISEMENT