Do you work...

• Fully remote from home

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Fully at the office

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • Hybrid

Votes: 34 35.1%

• Total voters
This whole discussion is fascinating to me. I retired in 2006 and really never had the opportunity to work remotely.

I enjoyed interacting with fellow workers, sharing ideas, taking coffee breaks together, and Friday happy hours. There was certainly a social aspect to working with a group.

I didn't enjoy the hassle of traveling to work or of someone looking over my shoulder.

I imagine I would choose remote, given the choice. However, there are a lot of things I would miss like the camaraderie that can develop in the workplace.

This covid experience may have changed the way people work forever. It will be interesting to see if it is for the better or not.

Personally, I think it will affect socialization skills, but many of the younger people may already be growing up without them.

This whole discussion is fascinating to me. I retired in 2006 and really never had the opportunity to work remotely.

I enjoyed interacting with fellow workers, sharing ideas, taking coffee breaks together, and Friday happy hours. There was certainly a social aspect to working with a group.

I didn't enjoy the hassle of traveling to work or of someone looking over my shoulder.

I imagine I would choose remote, given the choice. However, there are a lot of things I would miss like the camaraderie that can develop in the workplace.

This covid experience may have changed the way people work forever. It will be interesting to see if it is for the better or not.

Personally, I think it will affect socialization skills, but many of the younger people may already be growing up without them.

I think that people will seek to live in areas where there is more social connectivity as a result of less interaction in the workplace. Or places people live will increase the social connections between residents, neighbors, etc.

In other words, things that increase social capital in towns where they used to be more prevalent, like bowling leagues, card clubs, neighborhood gatherings, etc will make a return as people seek out the human interactions they lost from the workplace.

Just turned around halfway to work as my oil light flashed on. Been up since 5am and still have to waste a vacation day. Wished I could work from home.
That’s a known issue with those Gremlins.

f818b160bea07f590705c1f0d2a5a467.jpg

Because they need attractive people to over hype the effectiveness of the drug?
Yea, are they still doing that? Souf says he does all his calls on Zoom now but if you are a drug company, wouldnt you be hiring smokeshows and sending them out to take doctors to lunch?

100% remote, and have been since 2016. 2013-16 I was 80% remote. But then again, I travel a lot…

Madeira last week, Istanbul the week before, Amsterdam the week before that…. And quite a few more coming up.
Istanbul or Constantinople?

EA4vmK-X4AAnS-m.png

Reactions: Ski11585
I am 100% remote (energy industry - regulatory) and absolutely love it. I am more productive, gained two hours a day by not commuting, and the work life balance is awesome. I have two kids playing multiple sports in the fall and have only missed one of their events (which was a middle school soccer game an hour and twenty minutes away). I feel like I am more productive at home. There are rumors of us going back in the office one day a week as a meeting/collaboration day. I don’t think that’s a bad idea, but more than that I’d probably look for something new.

100% in the office, although I have the flexibility to work from home whenever I'd like and I generally let me team work from home whenever they'd like. I prefer the office. Find it easier to manage people that way. We are a manufacturer, so it is a little tougher to have a lot of remote workers. But we also have a lot of "old school" people. I often find myself complaining when someone can't figure out how to work Zoom. I tell them "we are well over 2 years now since the pandemic and you still can't figure out how to work a Zoom meeting????" Pretty frustrating. :)

I never understood the insistence on pharmacists on rounds. (my undergrad was pharmacy btw.)
The main medication concerns on post-op or acute admissions are pain meds and diabetes meds. There is an acute pain team and diabetes team. So no additional input needed there. Management of regular medications or anticoagulants and things like that is figured out in advance of admission. Acute changes and issues happen throughout the day and night, not usually bang on 0830.
Therapeutic drug monitoring is usually helpful, but not on labour and delivery. Last week our pharmacist was deathly worried about foetal exposure to gent. It was 22 weeks with ruptured membranes and maternal sepsis and being actively induced. I was worried about getting gent to the foetus too, as in that was the source of the sepsis.
A different perspective doesn't always bring improvement.
Now pharmacist rounds on geriatrics or ICU or Paeds are likely an entirely different dynamic and probably helpful. Just saying my experience likely mirrors yours.
Yeah I’d agree with that , icu,nicu, picu, transplant , infectious disease - where there are complicated meds and patients are .
Internal med - not so much -
The staff pharmacists verifying orders can handle that alone

I’m not a germaphobe or anything like that, ok kind of, but I really do have toilet preferences for taking a dump during the day. I just do not like using work bathrooms for plenty of reasons. Working from home allows me to use my toilet and take 30 minutes if I need (SMF posts about Chick-fil-A drive thru keep me busy). And nobody can time me going in the bathroom and coming out 30 minutes later. Except for my dogs that feel the need to join me while I take a dump.

Because it works since plenty of doctors don’t actually know much about medications so they are easily influenced
I think what is on formulary influences them more than some ex-college athlete who works for the drug company.

I think what is on formulary influences them more than some ex-college athlete who works for the drug company.
Doctors have no idea what’s on a patient’s private insurance formulary- I mean at all
Just like 95% of people have no idea what is formulary or what their copay’s and deductibles are .
So they complain.

Doctors have no idea what’s on a patient’s private insurance formulary
Mine does. He has a list inside the cupboard door for each of the biggest pbm's in the area of cheapest drug to dispense for most common conditions and what is on formulary for main chronic medications.

Mine does. He has a list inside the cupboard door for each of the biggest pbm's in the area of cheapest drug to dispense for most common conditions and what is on formulary for main chronic medications.
You understand the formularies change quarterly and annually based on reimbursement rates , right ?
I mean a generic is always preferred but reps are selling those

are you on a brand name med when a generic equivalent is preferred (aside from Narrow Therapeutic Index ) drugs like Coumadin and Dilantin ?

I’m not a germaphobe or anything like that, ok kind of, but I really do have toilet preferences for taking a dump during the day. I just do not like using work bathrooms for plenty of reasons. Working from home allows me to use my toilet and take 30 minutes if I need (SMF posts about Chick-fil-A drive thru keep me busy). And nobody can time me going in the bathroom and coming out 30 minutes later. Except for my dogs that feel the need to join me while I take a dump.
There’s a motion detector on the bathroom light in our office, with something like a 15 minute timer. There’s one guy who frequently has the lights go out when he‘s in there.

When in the office I utilize a different bathroom for my dumps. One that is far less active and away from where my office is so I don't have that weird eye contact with someone after I or they make a lot of noise and stink up the joint. Luckily they have changes the lights so they no longer time out. That would be a problem for me if there was a juicy novel topic such as an on campus stadium, tarps, or anything on the old locker room.

I think that people will seek to live in areas where there is more social connectivity as a result of less interaction in the workplace. Or places people live will increase the social connections between residents, neighbors, etc.

In other words, things that increase social capital in towns where they used to be more prevalent, like bowling leagues, card clubs, neighborhood gatherings, etc will make a return as people seek out the human interactions they lost from the workplace.
I am not so sure. Especially upcoming generations......I mean they live "connected" to everywhere BUT where they are at that moment.

When in the office I utilize a different bathroom for my dumps. One that is far less active and away from where my office is so I don't have that weird eye contact with someone after I or they make a lot of noise and stink up the joint. Luckily they have changes the lights so they no longer time out. That would be a problem for me if there was a juicy novel topic such as an on campus stadium, tarps, or anything on the old locker room.
Oh yes, TMI. But I ALWAYS had some remote bathroom for that act. I am not one for the camaderie and team work of shared bathrooms.

Depends on whether the doc is male and that ex-college athlete you reference was a female cheerleader. There was a NYT article on that pharma industry practice a few years back. Q: “Why do you hire so many female ex-cheerleaders from the U of Kentucky?” A: “they are well-trained in interpersonal communication and positive presentation. They are good with people by training.”

You understand the formularies change quarterly and annually based on reimbursement rates , right ?
I mean a generic is always preferred but reps are selling those

are you on a brand name med when a generic equivalent is preferred (aside from Narrow Therapeutic Index ) drugs like Coumadin and Dilantin ?
Yes, I get all that. He is very analytical about it. Maybe he gets a bonus at end of quarter or year for being under a certain level on rx expenses. I also like when the brand is preferred in a formulary over a generic. My niece is in pharmacy school, I told her to hookup with an insurance company when she gets out of school. They are the winners in all this.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Depends on whether the doc is male and that ex-college athlete you reference was a female cheerleader. There was a NYT article on that pharma industry practice a few years back. Q: “Why do you hire so many female ex-cheerleaders from the U of Kentucky?” A: “they are well-trained in interpersonal communication and positive presentation. They are good with people by training.”

Lol. Yeah, that's why.

Yes, I get all that. He is very analytical about it. Maybe he gets a bonus at end of quarter or year for being under a certain level on rx expenses. I also like when the brand is preferred in a formulary over a generic. My niece is in pharmacy school, I told her to hookup with an insurance company when she gets out of school. They are the winners in all this.

They certainly are, and we don't need them. All they do by seeking increased profit is drive up the cost and add to inefficiency in the system.

I’m pretty sure that doctors can get incentives from the drug manufacturers for writing brand scripts.

I’m pretty sure that doctors can get incentives from the drug manufacturers for writing brand scripts.
CMS requires that any industry payments or gifts to doctors be reported. You can look this up online to see if your doctor is on the take.

They certainly are, and we don't need them. All they do by seeking increased profit is drive up the cost and add to inefficiency in the system.
The money is in the PBMs, the pharmacy benefits management companies. I have a good friend who is an executive with one of these companies. He is very well compensated.
It does affect him as he is very aware that he makes decisions that affect people's lives.

Doctors have no idea what’s on a patient’s private insurance formulary- I mean at all
Just like 95% of people have no idea what is formulary or what their copay’s and deductibles are .
So they complain.
I don't know what is on the NZ national formulary from week to week. It changes rapidly now due to supply issues. But I can easily find it online. I access this pretty much every time I prescribe. The drug monologues there are helpful too. I have to say that as I am clinical editor for reproductive meds.
A formulary med is $5 per script.
Drug sales don't bother with docs here, they need to influence the funders at Pharmac, the agency that decides what is funded.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Yea, are they still doing that? Souf says he does all his calls on Zoom now but if you are a drug company, wouldnt you be hiring smokeshows and sending them out to take doctors to lunch?
lunch? the pharm sales reps do a lot more. or at least did before they cracked down on it. there was a reason why every one of them was 23 and hot/female, it wasnt a coincidence.

The money is in the PBMs, the pharmacy benefits management companies. I have a good friend who is an executive with one of these companies. He is very well compensated.
It does affect him as he is very aware that he makes decisions that affect people's lives.
Yes, the pbm's have all the power. The new Express Scripts Medicare plan will reimburse pharmacies around 6% under their actual cost on a 30 day supply of a brand and around 11% under their actual cost on 90 day supplies. On a typical $500 brand drug, that is dispensing it for $30 below cost on a 30 day supply and $195 below cost on a 90 day supply. That is just cost of goods. That does not include any of the pharmacies' expenses. This is why so many independent pharmacies are being driven out of business. PBM's are ruthless.

Yes, the pbm's have all the power. The new Express Scripts Medicare plan will reimburse pharmacies around 6% under their actual cost on a 30 day supply of a brand and around 11% under their actual cost on 90 day supplies. On a typical $500 brand drug, that is dispensing it for $30 below cost on a 30 day supply and $195 below cost on a 90 day supply. That is just cost of goods. That does not include any of the pharmacies' expenses. This is why so many independent pharmacies are being driven out of business. PBM's are ruthless.
That's plain criminal.

ADVERTISEMENT