ADVERTISEMENT

Does Addison opt out of

now meaningless bowl to get ready for draft? I wonder if his NIL deals address this issue ? I do know he took $$$ from Pitt booster and bailed on Pitt not sure he paid that back

Yeah you wonder if eventually these NIL deals come with stipulations that they need to play in the bowl game. Seems reasonable to expect them to play in every game if they are getting paid to do so.

Yeah you wonder if eventually these NIL deals come with stipulations that they need to play in the bowl game. Seems reasonable to expect them to play in every game if they are getting paid to do so.
What am I missing here, since when is NIL pay to play. How could they put something in a NIL contract that is expressly not what it’s allowed to be.

now meaningless bowl to get ready for draft? I wonder if his NIL deals address this issue ? I do know he took $$$ from Pitt booster and bailed on Pitt not sure he paid that back
To bad for the Pitt booster who gave him the $$$. That's the chance you take my doing that. Wait until they start the 12 team playoff in a couple of years. How many of those kids will take the money and sit out the playoffs at the end of the year to prepare for the NFL? The NCAA better figure out a way to control this NIL stuff ASAP.

What am I missing here, since when is NIL pay to play. How could they put something in a NIL contract that is expressly not what it’s allowed to be.
How could they pay guys for something that isn't NIL? I don't know if there are playing time stipulations in any of the deals, but a lot of guys are getting money from pay to play, not NIL.

How could they pay guys for something that isn't NIL? I don't know if there are playing time stipulations in any of the deals, but a lot of guys are getting money from pay to play, not NIL.
I wasn’t referring to any under the table payments players may get from whomever, just stating that a NIL deal can’t have anything remotely related to a playing time requirement in it because it’s not allowed.

Who has done it?

If you are correct then there won't be any opt outs in bowl games, because guys will need to play to get their money. Let's wait and see whose right.
I'm talking about pay for play, not necessarily stipulations about playing in bowl games.

I wasn’t referring to any under the table payments players may get from whomever, just stating that a NIL deal can’t have anything remotely related to a playing time requirement in it because it’s not allowed.

It's as if some people don't know that the players have to turn in copies of their NIL deals to the schools, who are required to ensure that the deals meet the NCAA rules.

I'm talking about pay for play, not necessarily stipulations about playing in bowl games.

You said playing time stipulations. There explicitly are not allowed to be playing time stipulations in NIL deals. Not for bowl games, not for regular season games, not for playoff games.

I know, but these aren't under the table payments either players are getting. It's certainly not NIL, or rather what NIL is suppose to be. There is a lot of shady business getting done so you don't know any of the details going on behind the scenes either. I would just find it hard to believe if a player is getting 7 figures from a booster, it's possible they'd expect them to play in the bowl game whether it's allowable or not.

You said playing time stipulations. There explicitly are not allowed to be playing time stipulations in NIL deals. Not for bowl games, not for regular season games, not for playoff games.
Yeah and we all know what NIL deals are and players are getting pay for play deals. There are actively deals going on to lure players to the other teams right now. Tampering is specifically not allowed yet it happens. I don't know what goes down and what doesn't, but I'll at least consider there is a possibility there is dirty business going on when it comes to the terms of some deals.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
I admit to not understanding the NIL benefit, so can you please explain why there cannot be stipulations in the form of a contract agreement? Thanks.

Because that's what the NCAA rules say.

There is, and has to be, a contract. And the contract is not allowed to include anything at all about playing time or starting or playing a certain number of games or anything like that.

Yeah and we all know what NIL deals are and players are getting pay for play deals. There are actively deals going on to lure players to the other teams right now. Tampering is specifically not allowed yet it happens. I don't know what goes down and what doesn't, but I'll at least consider there is a possibility there is dirty business going on when it comes to the terms of some deals.

I agree that there is shady stuff going on. But if you make a deal with some player, and on the side tell him that if you pay him then he has to play so many games or play in a bowl game or whatever and the player doesn't do that, what is your recourse? Sue the player, so that it comes out in open court that you and the player have committed NCAA violations, which is going to get the school that you are trying to help out in trouble?

If it's not in the contract it's not enforceable. And stuff like playing time stipulations is not allowed to be in the contract.

That would be an NCAA violation.The NIL deals are not allowed to be "pay for play." Can't stipulate that the guy has been play for a certain team.

To bad for the Pitt booster who gave him the $$$. That's the chance you take my doing that. Wait until they start the 12 team playoff in a couple of years. How many of those kids will take the money and sit out the playoffs at the end of the year to prepare for the NFL? The NCAA better figure out a way to control this NIL stuff ASAP.
The ncaa isn't going to do squat

I agree that there is shady stuff going on. But if you make a deal with some player, and on the side tell him that if you pay him then he has to play so many games or play in a bowl game or whatever and the player doesn't do that, what is your recourse? Sue the player, so that it comes out in open court that you and the player have committed NCAA violations, which is going to get the school that you are trying to help out in trouble?

If it's not in the contract it's not enforceable. And stuff like playing time stipulations is not allowed to be in the contract.
Yeah, you nailed it. There may be some shady stuff/payments going on tied to playing time. But absolutely no way to enforce it through normal channels. Of course, if a player makes that deal with the wrong type of booster, he can be taken out behind the woodshed and …..

Because that's what the NCAA rules say.

There is, and has to be, a contract. And the contract is not allowed to include anything at all about playing time or starting or playing a certain number of games or anything like that.
I can guarantee you that there are ways around it that you, I and the schools haven't figured out yet, but some agent has. GUARANTEE IT!

I can guarantee you that there are ways around it that you, I and the schools haven't figured out yet, but some agent has. GUARANTEE IT!
Ways around it in what regard? Sure, any booster, group, company can enter into a NIL with a player and say on the side/not in writing, that the player has to play so many games or stick around and play in a bowl game. But if the player doesn’t do it, there’s nothing the booster/group can do about it. Maybe they can try to do it indirectly through the payment schedule but that sure can’t be worded or look at all like a pay for play payment schedule.

They’d have to cook up some non-performance claim totally unrelated to the player’s on-field play.

Does anyone east of the Donner Pass really give a s**t!

I admit to not understanding the NIL benefit, so can you please explain why there cannot be stipulations in the form of a contract agreement? Thanks.
NIL means "Name Image and Likeness" -- it's a contract for that only -- not for "playing time". It's like paying a celebrity to be a spokesman for your product - like Tom Brady with FTX. The contract stipulates to things like, showing up at the car dealership to sign autographs for an hour, not for playing in Bowl games.

Ways around it in what regard? Sure, any booster, group, company can enter into a NIL with a player and say on the side/not in writing, that the player has to play so many games or stick around and play in a bowl game. But if the player doesn’t do it, there’s nothing the booster/group can do about it. Maybe they can try to do it indirectly through the payment schedule but that sure can’t be worded or look at all like a pay for play payment schedule.

They’d have to cook up some non-performance claim totally unrelated to the player’s on-field play.
There's no way around it. NIL has nothing to do with playing football. It is for Name, Image and Likeness rights ONLY.

The oxygen that this guy consumes among some Pitt fans is maddening. He's a USC guy, not a Pitt guy. He turned his back on Pitt after spitting in our collective faces. He's a 1st round pick, but he's not a Pitt guy so....basically F him.

The oxygen that this guy consumes among some Pitt fans is maddening. He's a USC guy, not a Pitt guy. He turned his back on Pitt after spitting in our collective faces. He's a 1st round pick, but he's not a Pitt guy so....basically F him.
Addison and USC were just knocked out yesterday - I think it's an appropriate subject today.
I know I'll be following Addison in the NFL Draft as well.

ADVERTISEMENT