DOJ Wants to Suspend Constitutional Rights During Coronavirus Emergency

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by joeydavid, Mar 21, 2020.

1. joeydavid

joeydavid Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

2. 9nationalchampionships

Expand Collapse

I agree this sounds like bullcrap.

3. pittbb80

pittbb80 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

This shit is getting scary. It’s amazing how willing we are to give up our rights.

4. NCPitt

NCPitt Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Funny. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus and many consider him to the greatest president of all time.

Gary77 and BPKY like this.
  5. ONGB

ONGB Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Apparently it wasn't a well kept secret if true.

6. fkthomas

fkthomas Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s Rolling Stone. Take it with a grain of salt.

Gary77 and PittFamily2 like this.
  7. TempleBAPittMPA

TempleBAPittMPA Chancellor
    Expand Collapse

The introductory sentence to the linked article:

The Trump Department of Justice has asked Congress to craft legislation allowing chief judges to indefinitely hold people without trial and suspend other constitutionally-protected rights during coronavirus and other emergencies, according to a report by Politico’s Betsy Woodruff Swan.

It's Politico. Take it with a grain of salt . . .

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/doj-coronavirus-emergency-powers-140023

Gary77 and BPKY like this.
  8. fkthomas

fkthomas Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I totally agree.

ONGB likes this.
  9. NCPitt

NCPitt Lair Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not much better.

10. ONGB

ONGB Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Looks a little different take to me..

(Amid concerns of the potentially devastating effects that an outbreak of the novel coronavirus could have within the walls of the nation's prisons, Attorney General William Barr said Thursday that he has issued new recommendations to the Federal Bureau of Prisons to explore releasing certain at-risk prisoners to home confinement in order to reduce the overall prison population.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnew...ion-home-confinement-reduce/story?id=69816504

11. CJsE

CJsE Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

Now if only the top spokesperson at the DOJ didn't confirm this 3 days ago on the official DOJ twitter account.

Oops...

Nothing in the Politico article is incorrect, but some of the reporting about the article is misleading. What was submitted gives Chief Justices expanded power, not the executive branch, but many legal scholars have already pointed out that this would essentially be giving these powers to the DOJ.

Denying that this indirectly expands the power of the DOJ is like saying that softening the requirements for warrants doesn't give the DOJ increased power because they aren't the ones that issue warrants.

12. ONGB

ONGB Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

So it was initiated by Congress asking DOJ for proposals. The Politico article didnt state that unless I missed it.

It comes across as the DOJ asking for these powers unsolicited. DOJ was asked for their input (second Kupec page,first paragraph) by Congress and were developed in coordination with Congress

So at the very least its misleading as though the DOJ "requested expanded power" on their own.

Barr called it nonsense. Someone has misunderstood something or reported an incomplete story.

From the OP -
    "The Department of Justice has secretly asked Congress"

Sounds like Congress secretly asked the DOJ reading the Kupec tweets and they got it flip-flopped

12 ONGB, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:43 AM
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 4:14 AM
  13. BPKY

BPKY Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. How can you miss that? So I guess there are three sources to always take with a grain of salt then: POLITICO, The Rolling Stone, and posts by CJsE?

From the Rolling Stone article:

"While the asks from the Department of Justice will likely not come to fruition with a Democratic-controlled House of Representatives, they demonstrate how much this White House has a frightening disregard for rights enumerated in the Constitution."

Seriously, "the asks"??? What journalism school did this valley girl attend?

ONGB likes this.
  14. CJsE

CJsE Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

I see that reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.

First. I referenced the Politico article, which was the first source for the reporting, and that some of the subsequent reporting is misleading (like the wording in the RollingStone headline of "secretly").

Second. If someone solicits a proposal of some kind, be it budgetary, organizational, or some other kind, what you include can be considered your requests. If your boss asks you for a budget proposal for your project, you are submitting a request for funds. This isn't rocket science.

Third. The DOJ will not say who requested it. Senator Mike Lee is on the Committee on the Judiciary. In fact, he is on subcommittees of Administrative Oversight as well as the Courts and the Constitution, Civil, and Human Rights. He tweeted
    So it's pretty safe to say that this request didn't come from the Senate Judiciary Committee. The request could have come from the House Judiciary Committee.

Finally. The outrage isn't over the procedural aspects of the article, that's an argument to make when you can't argue the content. It's that their response was to give broad powers to suspend Constitutional protections.

If a subcommittee asked the DOJ for a proposal to speed up the deportation of immigrants and they responded to shoot them all, the fact that a committee asked them for a proposal doesn't negate concerns over the response.

NCPitt likes this.
  15. PittFamily2

PittFamily2 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

And some un - Americans want to give up their and our right to bear arms-2nd Ammendments.

See how easy it is to slip to the bottom of the Slippery Slope the most dangerous Slope in
    America.

16. JS School

JS School Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Lincoln just happened to be in the right place at the right time, as far as acquiring status as the greatest president goes.

Who knows, Franklin Pierce or Martin Van Buren may have been spectacular in handling a pandemic if given the chance.

17. SoufOaklin4Life

SoufOaklin4Life Lair Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

It all went away on 9/11
    A bunch of willing sheep for national security

18. SoufOaklin4Life

SoufOaklin4Life Lair Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

If you think your guns are stopping the government , you’re delusional

19. joeydavid

joeydavid Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

This was the point where you came to the conclusion that he's delusional?

20. BPKY

BPKY Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

More cockamamie nonsense.

joeydavid posted an article he found on line by The Rolling Stone. I give him a pass since he was just parroting what he saw. Posters took it at face value and said "No way". That's all that Mike Lee said in his tweet that you pasted. Lee's post verified nothing that was stated in the articles. Not sure why you added his tweet.

You first referenced the tweet by the "the top spokesperson at the DOJ" which you said confirmed the Rolling Stone report. ONGB pointed out that the the tweet did no such thing. Barr denied that the DOJ requested this and said it was a request from lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

And this includes the POLITICO article by Betsy Swan, who wrote that "The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies". The insinuation is false. It wasn't a request from the DOJ. That makes the POLITICO article incorrect. I'm just going by what has been posted and reported so far.

POLITICO is becoming, check that, has become a worthless news source in the past few years. It intrigues me that POLITICO's first hire was the son Gary Allen, author if None Dare Call It Conspiracy. I guess this proves that the apple can fall far, very far, from the Birch tree.

The bottom line is that the collectivists in Congress were kibitzing with collectivists in the DOJ to find yet another way to never let a crisis go to waste. The term I would use for the reporting by POLITICO and The Rolling Stone isn't "misleading", but rather "bull sh!t".

At the very minimum, it's piss poor journalism.

pittbb80 and ONGB like this.
  21. CJsE

CJsE Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

No, the DOJ stated that congress asked them to create a plan for the courts to deal with the effects of the pandemic.

The aforementioned suspension of constitutional rights was in the DOJ proposal submitted to congress.

The included Mike Lee tweet, which was just one of a series he made about the potential existence of this DOJ proposal, was included to show that it wasn't an official request from the Senate Judiciary, but could have come from a House committee. They were asked by "someone" to create a plan, they submitted the plan detailed by Politico. This is what was confirmed by the Director of Communications and Public Affairs at the Department of Justice.

Yes, this was not an unsolicited request by DOJ. It was solicited by some member or body in Congress, but it is what the DOJ proposed be made law. I don't know what you're having such a hard time understanding...English maybe?

21 CJsE, Mar 27, 2020 at 1:45 PM
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 1:51 PM
  22. BPKY

BPKY Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Did you ask Souf's permission before you ran off with his goal post wheel assembly?

Like I said, Politico and Rolling Stone spun a tall tale that the Trump DOJ approached Congress to take away habeas corpus. It was fake news.

No one cares if it was the Senate or the House. As you now admit, it was solicited. Done and done.

23. TempleBAPittMPA

TempleBAPittMPA Chancellor
    Expand Collapse

As awkward as that may appear to you and me, I do find this to be an increasingly common written and spoken expression.

24. BPKY

BPKY Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, seems the new trend is for kids to shorten words. Jelly for jealous. "She's so jelly".

Probably comes from so much texting. Just surprising to me that someone would use it professionally. Plus, I'm a neophobic curmudgeon, so there's that.