ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Johnson

oldpantherfan

Freshman
Sep 26, 2013
Now that Donovan Johnson has been ruled ineligible for another year by the WPIAL does anyone think that he may commit to Pitt for 2021 or go to a prep school.
I know he can and probably will appeal to the PIAA but incase he doesn't or their ruling is upheld does that help Pitt ?

If I were him, I'd go to First Love or just sit the year out. He has scholarship options from everybody. His stock can't get any higher.

PIAA will always override the WPIAL because they have no power what so ever. Remember what happened with Kenny White when he transferred from West A to Pine-Richland? It's gonna be the same situation

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
PIAA will always override the WPIAL because they have no power what so ever. Remember what happened with Kenny White when he transferred from West A to Pine-Richland? It's gonna be the same situation
Where is Kenny White going to college?

I thought the highest your stock could be was a late-cycle grad transfer...

Or late-cycle HS player. I mean, yea, that's true but Puff already has offers from UNC, Lou, and AZ. His stock cant go higher. OK, maybe Kentucky and Duke offer if he has a great senior year but really??? Do Duke and UK need to see him vs Montour and West A to offer?

Its gotta be First Love or sit out for him. I wouldn't even bother with an out-of-area prep school.

If I were him, I'd go to First Love or just sit the year out. He has scholarship options from everybody. His stock can't get any higher.

He can't go to First Love if he wants to play. They are not a prep school, they are a high school. Although they do not compete within the PIAA or WPIAL they do follow the PIAA rules when it comes to eligibility.

He could go and play at a place like Scotland Prep where Coulibaly played this past season.

He can't go to First Love if he wants to play. They are not a prep school, they are a high school. Although they do not compete within the PIAA or WPIAL they do follow the PIAA rules when it comes to eligibility.

He could go and play at a place like Scotland Prep where Coulibaly played this past season.

Where did you read that First Love follows PIAA rules? They aren't in the PIAA. Why in the world would they follow PIAA rules. That makes absolutely 0 sense and I highly doubt that's true. Like they'd say no to a Top 30ish player because they arbitrarily want to follow PIAA's Draconian rules.

Where did you read that First Love follows PIAA rules? They aren't in the PIAA. Why in the world would they follow PIAA rules. That makes absolutely 0 sense and I highly doubt that's true. Like they'd say no to a Top 30ish player because they arbitrarily want to follow PIAA's Draconian rules.

From a coach at First Love.

Reactions: Drew1208

You genuinely believe that the kid would benefit from not playing for an entire year, but First Love adhering to PIAA rules is what strains credulity for you?

You genuinely believe that the kid would benefit from not playing for an entire year, but First Love adhering to PIAA rules is what strains credulity for you?

Can you tell me what benefit he will get out of playing WPIAL basketball this season will be? He can pick any school in the country to go to besides Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas.

first-love-never-dies.jpg

Reactions: Drew1208
Can you tell me what benefit he will get out of playing WPIAL basketball this season will be? He can pick any school in the country to go to besides Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas.

He will get surpassed by other players who are actually, you know, playing.

If you think any school in the country, save those 3, would hold a scholie for a non-elite prospect who hasn't played for an entire year, you're crazy. You follow recruiting enough to know how stock is constantly in flux.

Reactions: BFo8

If you think any school in the country, save those 3, would hold a scholie for a non-elite prospect who hasn't played for an entire year, you're crazy. You follow recruiting enough to know how stock is constantly in flux.
Well that would be a plus for Pitt.

He's an elite prospect. Can name his school. He can verbal to UNC right now and sign before the WPIAL season starts. So you are telling me that UNC or Arizona or Louisville wont allow him to sign in LOI if he doesn't play WPIAL ball?

The PIAA overules the WPIAL frequently because the WPIAL brass is a bunch of fools.

The PIAA overrules the WPIAL frequently because the PIAA refuses to enforce their own rules, and then gets pissed off when anyone has the audacity to suggest that if they aren't going to enforce the rules they might as well change them.

Which doesn't mean that the people running the WPIAL aren't a bunch of fools. They surely are. But those two organizations are two sides of the same coin as far as that goes.

He's a player, players PLAY.
This isn't the NBA where a contract and big $$$$ is the issue. It's not college
where a transfer (non grad) is an issue. I assume he's healthy.
He's a h.s. player, 17 or 18 yr. old I'm guessing. He's not going to sit out a year
at this point in his life. It'll be a prep school, a location/ parental move, or
maybe a PIAA over rule or something else...BUT, he's gonna play somehow,
somewhere. Just my take on this.

WOW. We went way to the right on this.
I personally don't see non playing as an option and would probably lower his college options. Schools are recruiting 2021 players now and that's where he would be.
I know a lot of kids go to prep school and that's mostly for playing or grades, i don't think he has a problem with either, so why go.
And right now for 2019 (2020 class) he is highly rated and recruited, so that (to me0 voids both options.
So i guess the real question is if he decides to play college ball (no PIAA appeal or a PIAA denial) what are Pitt's chances based on their scholarships this year.
And please lets try to stay in the lane.

He's a player, players PLAY.
This isn't the NBA where a contract and big $$$$ is the issue. It's not college
where a transfer (non grad) is an issue. I assume he's healthy.
He's a h.s. player, 17 or 18 yr. old I'm guessing. He's not going to sit out a year
at this point in his life. It'll be a prep school, a location/ parental move, or
maybe a PIAA over rule or something else...BUT, he's gonna play somehow,
somewhere. Just my take on this.

I don't know why the family wouldn't just move to wherever Cam ends up. He will be a millionaire by the end of the month. The fact they even went through this WPIAL eligibility charade must mean that he really wants to spend his senior year at Moon.

I don't know why the family wouldn't just move to wherever Cam ends up. He will be a millionaire by the end of the month. The fact they even went through this WPIAL eligibility charade must mean that he really wants to spend his senior year at Moon.

Your first sensible post on this thread. Seems like the obvious choice to just go to a college near where Cam gets drafted

Johnson has several options.

1) He could appeal to the PIAA.

2) He could enroll at a prep school to maintain more control of his future. It's not clear that is necessary academically, but his play at a prep power might further solidify his ranking in the class. His play this Spring had him rising quickly and earning offers from P-5 powers.

3) He may be eligible to go directly to college. The question still remains whether Donovan is already qualified to enroll in college for the 2019 season. Different states have different graduation requirements, so high school graduation could be "gamed" by moving, but NCAA eligibility requirements are fixed. Either he has the required courses and test scores or he doesn't. Nobody has claimed confirmed knowledge either way but there has been speculation he might still need a course.

If he's a bit short in qualifying courses, it's possible that he could "make up" a course in a late Summer session or at a prep school and at worst, be eligible by December if he chooses. .

None of us KNOW. It's a safe bet his family is considering his options carefully and helping him make the best decisions for his career.

Hey, we'd all love to have him enroll at Pitt. Adding a 6-8 elite shooter would be great. But, he has MANY options, including a UNC offer.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
WOW. We went way to the right on this.
I personally don't see non playing as an option and would probably lower his college options. Schools are recruiting 2021 players now and that's where he would be.
I know a lot of kids go to prep school and that's mostly for playing or grades, i don't think he has a problem with either, so why go.
And right now for 2019 (2020 class) he is highly rated and recruited, so that (to me0 voids both options.
So i guess the real question is if he decides to play college ball (no PIAA appeal or a PIAA denial) what are Pitt's chances based on their scholarships this year.
And please lets try to stay in the lane.
Where are you getting 2021 from? Unless the PIAA reverses the WPIAL’s decision, Johnson is either going to prep somewhere this winter and enroll as normal in 2020 or he’ll do whatever he needs to do to graduate early from Moon and reclass up to 2019. I don’t see a circumstance where he’d delay college enrollment until 2021.

Reactions: KR519 and efkemanas
No way the Piaa overturns the Wpial ruling.This isn't a transfer or academic case.Johnson broke a Piaa rule about the number of semesters you can play after the 6th grade.It's a clear cut violation of rules. Someone in the Johnson Camp blew this one!

Where are you getting 2021 from? Unless the PIAA reverses the WPIAL’s decision, Johnson is either going to prep somewhere this winter and enroll as normal in 2020 or he’ll do whatever he needs to do to graduate early from Moon and reclass up to 2019. I don’t see a circumstance where he’d delay college enrollment until 2021.
And yet you still didn't answer the question

If has a great summer and plays well in AAU, him not playing high school ball for one year won’t destroy him.

Whatever--dumb rule, IMHO. Beaurocrats making it overly complicated. Should just be age based. Something like you cannot turn 19 prior to the start of your season and sorry there are no exceptions or appeals permitted. Simply ageing out would make it so much simpler and easier to regulate and eliminate all the "drama."

If has a great summer and plays well in AAU, him not playing high school ball for one year won’t destroy him.

Obviously. His ranking next May is meaningless. He is Top 30-50 now and can sign with UNC in November. If they drop him to 250 because he didn't play Montour and West Allegheny, oh well, he's still headed to Chapel Hill.

There's no way First Love decided to use PIAA rules, sorry. There is some misunderstanding there.

First Love follows the NFHS rules which is necessary to play in some those bigger national events and tournaments that teams like Oak Hill or IMG play in. NFHS, like the PIAA, follow similar eligibility rules with regular high schools, which is that a kid can repeat grades before and including 7th grade, but cannot do so in 8th grade or beyond.

Whatever--dumb rule, IMHO. Beaurocrats making it overly complicated. Should just be age based. Something like you cannot turn 19 prior to the start of your season and sorry there are no exceptions or appeals permitted. Simply ageing out would make it so much simpler and easier to regulate and eliminate all the "drama."

That's a part of the rule as well.

Seems to be a whole lot of information circulating on the pay board about Johnson’s visit yesterday. Could the whole reclass thing actually have legs? Puff would step in and be a real threat to start at the 3, I’d think.

Cam and Puff visiting the staff yesterday a day or so after he’s ruled ineligible seems like one whale of a coincidence - especially since Cam doesn’t have any connection to the current staff, so it can’t even be a “visiting your old coaches before the draft to thank them for everything they’ve done” sort of thing.

Puff, Cam and the family visiting is HUGE. Hopefully Cam gets drafted on the East Coast and maybe the family would be more inclined to stick around, who knows?

Not sure either how quickly a re-class, visits and enrolling in a school would take. Would imagine this would be a sooner, rather than later, sort of thing.

ADVERTISEMENT