ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Maye

He was committed to Alabama for a while before flipping to UNC. He's like the 8th member of his family to play sports at UNC, so I'd be shocked, but maybe Nicky Saban has an 8 figure NIL deal for him

He was committed to Alabama for a while before flipping to UNC. He's like the 8th member of his family to play sports at UNC, so I'd be shocked, but maybe Nicky Saban has an 8 figure NIL deal for him

Yep. And he's probably done about everything he can do at UNC. Josh Downs is probably off to the NFL. There was something there that made him want to commit to Alabama in the first place. Seems like a logical move, tbh. He has his place in Carolina lore & he can also play for blue-blood with a chance to win a Natty. That's quite a college career.

Is he poachable?

Lots of chatter that Bama is really going to try to get him to T-town next year.
He initially committed to Bama.

His Dad was a UNC QB in the 80s. His brothers have been on the basketball team, and one is currently. Drake isn’t going anywhere next year, and then to the NFL the next.

“Maye's father, Mark, played quarterback for the Tar Heels from 1983 to 1987. His older brothers Luke and Cole were also college athletes. Luke played for the North Carolina basketball team from 2015 to 2019, and was a part of the 2017 national championship team, and Cole was a member of the University of Florida's 2017 National Championship baseball team as a pitcher. Another brother, Beau, walked on to the Tar Heel basketball team in 2022.”

Reactions: FireballZ
Yep. And he's probably done about everything he can do at UNC. Josh Downs is probably off to the NFL. There was something there that made him want to commit to Alabama in the first place. Seems like a logical move, tbh. He has his place in Carolina lore & he can also play for blue-blood with a chance to win a Natty. That's quite a college career.
Even though they aren't in our division anymore, I won't mind seeing UNC go 4-8 without him next year, so I hope he does go to Bama

Is he poachable?

Lots of chatter that Bama is really going to try to get him to T-town next year.

Of course, anyone is poachable.

Hell, USC threw 4 mil at our WR, how much could a QB for Bama get? 6-7 mil? Who know. Its the wild west out there

I think the daily double here is:
-He leaves UNC so they get dropped down a peg
-His flaws get exposed in the SEC and Bama goes 8-4

He initially committed to Bama.

His Dad was a UNC QB in the 80s. His brothers have been on the basketball team, and one is currently. Drake isn’t going anywhere next year, and then to the NFL the next.

“Maye's father, Mark, played quarterback for the Tar Heels from 1983 to 1987. His older brothers Luke and Cole were also college athletes. Luke played for the North Carolina basketball team from 2015 to 2019, and was a part of the 2017 national championship team, and Cole was a member of the University of Florida's 2017 National Championship baseball team as a pitcher. Another brother, Beau, walked on to the Tar Heel basketball team in 2022.”

I agree with you but there is a lot of noise about this in the inner circles of Chapel Hill.

Some of the noise is related to OC Longo also departing UNC.

I think UNC may make OC Longo the HC in waiting. We all know how those situations work out.

FTP
NGF

Reactions: rooster75
This is way the **** out of hand already.

None of the national writers think there is anything wrong with it. Guys like Mandel, Staples love seeing the rich get richer and pulling one over on the evil NCAA. Mandel was absolutely giddy watching another rematch of Georgia-Alabama and didn't think there was anything bad for the sport about it.

I agree with you but there is a lot of noise about this in the inner circles of Chapel Hill.

Some of the noise is related to OC Longo also departing UNC.

I think UNC may make OC Longo the HC in waiting. We all know how those situations work out.

FTP
NGF
I’m no insider with the program, by any means, so I really don’t know. The few people I know who are close to the program think there’s nothing to it, and he’ll be back next year.

It will interesting to follow, that’s for sure.

None of the national writers think there is anything wrong with it. Guys like Mandel, Staples love seeing the rich get richer and pulling one over on the evil NCAA. Mandel was absolutely giddy watching another rematch of Georgia-Alabama and didn't think there was anything bad for the sport about it.
I agree with this. I cannot believe the writers, who are usually liberal (not starting arguments) then siding for the big corporate programs over the others. I guess it is the "workers of the world unite" mentality that the players are now getting theirs, but at the complete expense of the sport.

Because when many schools, and Pitt very well could be one of them, start evaluating football and maybe dropping down, reducing scholarships and becoming more of a large FCS division where football doesn't drive the bus.

I agree with this. I cannot believe the writers, who are usually liberal (not starting arguments) then siding for the big corporate programs over the others. I guess it is the "workers of the world unite" mentality that the players are now getting theirs, but at the complete expense of the sport.

Because when many schools, and Pitt very well could be one of them, start evaluating football and maybe dropping down, reducing scholarships and becoming more of a large FCS division where football doesn't drive the bus.
I used to like Mandel, but the one that finally did it for me is when he tweeted that you expect the school that couldn't afford a buyout for Clay Helton can now a afford to buy players. He saw nothing wrong with the Addison affair. Just like he saw nothing wrong with another SEC rematch in the championship, None of them care for the overall good of the sport, they are all glorified fanboys.

At least NFL writers are more professional. That's the big thing missing with most of the national CFB media. They all let their inner fanboy poke through and lose any sense of what is best for the sport.

could care less about UNC and well i've stated my opinion on what i think of ACC football but with that said, i'd really like to not see this happen. Star QB at a P5 school, coming off a division championship and possible conference championship. Transferring for money..

I know it's already bad but this would be another sign of the apocolypse of college football.

Kinda surprised Alabama doesn’t have like 5-5* qb’s in waiting?

They do… but even a 5* who’s never played before is an unknown commodity….

Why go with an unknown when you can go steal the best from other teams?

Reactions: TD_6082
They have a 5* and 3 4* top 10 type guys, but the staff doesn't quite feel they are ready to play at a level that would allow Bama to compete for a championship just yet.
meanwhile didnt a walk on qb win a NC at georgia last year?

Heard a little more on this yesterday.

Apparently, it's not even a secret in recruiting circles. Bama is aggressively recruiting Maye & has a substantial offer on the table waiting for him. As for whether it happens or not, supposedly Drake isn't the biggest fan of Nick Saban. (not sure how true that last part is, about Maye & Saban)

Heard a little more on this yesterday.

Apparently, it's not even a secret in recruiting circles. Bama is aggressively recruiting Maye & has a substantial offer on the table waiting for him. As for whether it happens or not, supposedly Drake isn't the biggest fan of Nick Saban. (not sure how true that last part is, about Maye & Saban)
Silly, that can't be true. It's against the rules to actively recruit a player not already in the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: revampedpanthers

You’re confused about concepts

Maye makes it official. Staying at UNC...though kind of sad a player has to make this type of statement.

Bama fans will be crying at this news.

In another turn of events, it looks like Tennessee is going to throw huge money at Sam Hartman to get him to Knoxville if his draft projections don't suit him. I think he's staying at Wake through the bowl game though.

Bama fans will be crying at this news.

In another turn of events, it looks like Tennessee is going to throw huge money at Sam Hartman to get him to Knoxville if his draft projections don't suit him. I think he's staying at Wake through the bowl game though.

Sam Hartman is the exact type of player that can make much more in college than in the NFL. But you know, these arent pay for play deals. Just a few million to get Sam to do some hospital visits.

Also, Sam seems like the type of guy we need to sue the NCAA to remain eligible permanently by saying their arbitrary eligibility rule is denying him a right to earn a living and that is affecting his mental health. Hartman can have a nice 10-12 year career at Tennessee and made $25 million. Why shouldn’t the NCAA allow that? Come on Sam.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT