ADVERTISEMENT

Duquesne/Pitt...A10

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
Duquesne currently is in first place in the A-10. I don't expect them to finish
in first place, but who knows, maybe they will.
The point of this post is, if Pitt were in the A-10 we would most likely win the
league title and automatically be in the NCAA's. We already beat that league's
front runners....DuQ. and ST.L. Of our three frosh, Trey and X are better than
just about everyone in the A10 IMO. Toney would be on the upper end of talent
in that league.
We have a long way to go as far as the ACC is concerned, but if we take a breadth
and look at college Bball in general, we're already pretty darn good with Capel
as our coach. A few bigs added in this year's recruiting class and the tide changes.
I'm just trying to give a little different perspective after a difficult loss.

What's your point man? You want to be a mid major early round upset special?

The point of this post is, if Pitt were in the A-10 we would most likely win the
in that league.
We have a long way to go as far as the ACC is concerned, but if we take a breadth
as our coach. A few bigs added in this year's recruiting class and the tide changes.
Duquesne isn't in first, they are tied for 3rd. The A10 is terrible this year and we would likely win it.

in that league.
We are a good team, and will only get better and better each year.

We are a good team, and will only get better and better each year.

This entire thread of thought should cease and desist immediately... We are in the ACC, a coveted position to be in, regardless of academic program support levels, or recruiting chess matches that come down to dollars spent. You don't wish to be a mid major begging teams to play you.

I misspoke, it's not academic program support I intentionally meant athletic support. I just want to be clear because I feel so strongly against this entire line of sheepish thinking. Thanks for reading.

Duquesne isn't in first, they are tied for 3rd. The A10 is terrible this year and we would likely win it.

Thanks John, my bad. Actually they're 4-1. I forgot they lost to Davidson. They'll
probaly lose to St. L this week too. However we do agree that "we would likely
win" the A-10 this year.

What's your point man? You want to be a mid major early round upset special?

The point is we have a good team with Capel. I used the A-10 as a basis of comparison. Nowhere in that post was I suggesting I wanted to be a mid major.
Lighten up.

I think Pitt is pretty clearly better than all 14 teams in the A10. However, the A10 has become a 1 bid league and is bad as its been in many many years. They have been decimated by the losses of Xavier and Temple (and Butler but they only had a cup of coffee in the A10) plus Shaka, Archie, and Hurley.

The A10 is in a really bad place and this is good news for Duquesne. They have one of the best coaches in a really weak league. Right now, despite Pitt being clearly superior to Duquesne, you'd have to agree Duquesne winning the A10 Tournament is more likely than Pitt winning 7 more ACC games to grab a NCAAT bid.

I was really surpised when that kid picked Dayton and a 1 bid mid-major league whose games are on an app you have to pay for (ESPN+) rather than Pitt.

in that league.
Don’t tell Souf we’re good. He ain’t buyin it.

I think Pitt is pretty clearly better than all 14 teams in the A10. However, the A10 has become a 1 bid league and is bad as its been in many many years. They have been decimated by the losses of Xavier and Temple (and Butler but they only had a cup of coffee in the A10) plus Shaka, Archie, and Hurley.

The A10 is in a really bad place and this is good news for Duquesne. They have one of the best coaches in a really weak league. Right now, despite Pitt being clearly superior to Duquesne, you'd have to agree Duquesne winning the A10 Tournament is more likely than Pitt winning 7 more ACC games to grab a NCAAT bid.

I was really surpised when that kid picked Dayton and a 1 bid mid-major league whose games are on an app you have to pay for (ESPN+) rather than Pitt.

Yup, I agree.
Once again , my post was meant to be more about how we're a
pretty damn good team when one looks at ALL of college B.ball. I certainly
am not aiming for Pitt to be on a par with A-10 teams.

I mean, this is a silly thread but let's not get carried away here. Over the past five years the A-10 has gotten 3 bids, 3 bids, 3 bids, 3 bids and 5 bids with their highest seed being 7, 7, 7, 7, and 5. It's very squarely in the tier with the American and the Mountain West right below the P6.

The problem with the A-10 this year is that while the top 4 teams (VCU, St Louis, Dayton and Davidson) are pretty good and the next couple of teams (Duquesne, Rhode Island and George Mason) are solid squads who will always give you a game that still leaves a whole half of the conference that it just a complete shambles. They will probably get three bids again because some other conferences like the Pac-12 are just so down but there isn't a ton of opportunity to get any quality wins this year.

Next year though I feel as though the A-10 is going to be really, really tough. VCU, Davidson, Rhode Island, Dayton and Duquesne bring their whole squads back, Matt McCall has been doing some nice things at UMass and looks to have them trending up, and GW seems to be recovering from their athletic department turmoil. They could be back to being a 5 bid league again.

At any rate though, let's still be glad that we're not in the A-10 because then we'd probably be in a similar boat to poor UConn right now.

in that league.
Silly post.

If Pitt were in the A-10, we would never have been able to hire a Jeff Capel.

I mean, this is a silly thread but let's not get carried away here. Over the past five years the A-10 has gotten 3 bids, 3 bids, 3 bids, 3 bids and 5 bids with their highest seed being 7, 7, 7, 7, and 5. It's very squarely in the tier with the American and the Mountain West right below the P6.

The problem with the A-10 this year is that while the top 4 teams (VCU, St Louis, Dayton and Davidson) are pretty good and the next couple of teams (Duquesne, Rhode Island and George Mason) are solid squads who will always give you a game that still leaves a whole half of the conference that it just a complete shambles. They will probably get three bids again because some other conferences like the Pac-12 are just so down but there isn't a ton of opportunity to get any quality wins this year.

Next year though I feel as though the A-10 is going to be really, really tough. VCU, Davidson, Rhode Island, Dayton and Duquesne bring their whole squads back, Matt McCall has been doing some nice things at UMass and looks to have them trending up, and GW seems to be recovering from their athletic department turmoil. They could be back to being a 5 bid league again.

At any rate though, let's still be glad that we're not in the A-10 because then we'd probably be in a similar boat to poor UConn right now.

No way the A10 gets more than 1 bid this year. Its the worst the league has been in I cant remember how long. The losses of those 3 coaches plus Temple and Xavier are finally showing. Their best NET ranks are 51, 67, 71, and 81. Pitt's is 53 with a win over 67. Definitely a 1 bid league unless SLU or VCU go on a tear and dont win the A10 tournament.

No way the A10 gets more than 1 bid this year. Its the worst the league has been in I cant remember how long. The losses of those 3 coaches plus Temple and Xavier are finally showing. Their best NET ranks are 51, 67, 71, and 81. Pitt's is 53 with a win over 67. Definitely a 1 bid league unless SLU or VCU go on a tear and dont win the A10 tournament.

Three might be a stretch but they'll definitely get two.The top 4 squads are all likely going to finish 22-8 or above so with the right wins against each other the tournament champ plus one of VCU and St. Louis should be a lock with 3 not being an outlandish outcome if Dayton or Davidson win the tournament.

Three might be a stretch but they'll definitely get two.The top 4 squads are all likely going to finish 22-8 or above so with the right wins against each other the tournament champ plus one of VCU and St. Louis should be a lock with 3 not being an outlandish outcome if Dayton or Davidson win the tournament.

I dont think 22-8 gets them an at-large bid. The league is real bad. Probably need to finish with 7 losses or fewer.

in that league.

This is true but also A-10’s two big dogs in VCU & Dayton aren’t great/good this year.

If Duquesne is on top, the leagues gotta be down a little.

Ironically, Pitt was a founding member of that league. Pitt would never have gotten into the BE if they weren't very competitive in that league.

in that league.
If we were in the A10 we probably wouldn’t have Capel or our new guards and no chance at the players we are trying to get.

Reactions: ameoba defense
This is true but also A-10’s two big dogs in VCU & Dayton aren’t great/good this year.

If Duquesne is on top, the leagues gotta be down a little.
At large bids will be very interesting this year, especially if Nevada, and Buffalo don't stumble in their league tourneys. Not only is the A 10 down, but the Pac 12, and BE are both down a lot. The Pac 12 is a two bid league at best, and the BE could get as few as 3 bids. This will leave 4-5 extra bids on the table. The American is surprisingly good this year, and may get as many as 4 bids if things break right. (If Memphis and UConn can get it back together, the AAC is going to become a very tough league, and will give the BE a serious run for the money to be the top league outside of the P5). Other than Villanova, and Marquette, the BE is very shaky this year. The horrible teams at the bottom aren't so horrible anymore, and they're doing damage to the teams that are jockeying for at large bids.
Duquesne is actually in a pretty good spot. They have their entire roster back, save any defections, and not only will they have them back next year, the entire team returns the following year as well. Now, they're never going to be the kind of power they were back in the independent days, but if they can get close to the top of the A10 next year, they could be set up for a nice extended run as one of the powers in the A10. The biggest advantage they have is that at 60, Dambrot is probably not looking to move up anymore, so they'll likely have him until he retires.

ADVERTISEMENT