ADVERTISEMENT

Duzz is still the right guy for the job

jivecat

Senior
Jul 5, 2001
Horrible loss today....maybe the one that hurts the most in the Narduzzi era. That being said, this cannot be all on Duzz. While I hate to go this route there were three things that cost the Panthers the game.

1) Poor tackling: How many missed tackles on third and long did we have yesterday....6-8? They put points on the board for the Tarheels. It was really bad and probably gave UNC at least 7 points that they didn't deserve.

2) Undisciplined play: Combination of penalties and blown assignments. I would not want to be in the film room on Sunday. Penalties kept drives alive or made 3rd and long, 3rd and short. Blown coverage and not playing lanes hurt us as well. You could put that on coaching but the player needs to execute. Tgis defintely cost us 7 points.

3) Officiating: I really hate going this route but it was getting ridiculous at one point...I think UNC only had 1 penalty in the first half. The officiating should never determine the outcome of a game but there were a number of calls and non-calls that gave UNC at least 3-7 points. Non-calls stopped PITT drives and they were obvious calls.

When you look at these "non-coaching factors", it would probably amount to 10-17 points the Panthers could have prevented with reasonable execution.

Reactions: jtbuba
Horrible loss today....maybe the one that hurts the most in the Narduzzi era. That being said, this cannot be all on Duzz. While I hate to go this route there were three things that cost the Panthers the game.

1) Poor tackling: How many missed tackles on third and long did we have yesterday....6-8? They put points on the board for the Tarheels. It was really bad and probably gave UNC at least 7 points that they didn't deserve.

2) Undisciplined play: Combination of penalties and blown assignments. I would not want to be in the film room on Sunday. Penalties kept drives alive or made 3rd and long, 3rd and short. Blown coverage and not playing lanes hurt us as well. You could put that on coaching but the player needs to execute. Tgis defintely cost us 7 points.

3) Officiating: I really hate going this route but it was getting ridiculous at one point...I think UNC only had 1 penalty in the first half. The officiating should never determine the outcome of a game but there were a number of calls and non-calls that gave UNC at least 3-7 points. Non-calls stopped PITT drives and they were obvious calls.

When you look at these "non-coaching factors", it would probably amount to 10-17 points the Panthers could have prevented with reasonable execution.
Aren’t 1 and 2 on the coach? Also, this staff has been watching our Punter for 2 years. Why didn’t they bring in someone else? Who hired Watson? Why hasn’t the defense progressed since PN has been here?

Completely forget #3. Losers use officiating as an excuse for losing. If we are well-coached and have the right players, officiating doesn't enter the equation.

#1 and #2 are entirely on the head coach and his staff. Period. The loss yesterday is completely on them. They are accountable for the results.

He's the right guy because odds are the replacement would be worse.
That’s the attitude. Let’s not try to get better or make any changes because the replacement could be worse. Hmm....Maybe it could be better as well. Not to harp on you but if I owned a company you would not be running it with that attitude.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I also thought he would be the guy. Now 4 years in with his players and his system this defense is horrible. MSU probably glad he is gone.

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
MSU would hire him right back when Pitt fires him! He’s a coordinator not a head coach. If true he doesn’t like recruiting then he should do the honorable thing and resign at end of season! Same was said about Chryst when he was here and look at him now.

How is the coach responsible for missed tackles and stupid penalties? Do the players own any of the responsibility?

Reactions: passedout
That’s the attitude. Let’s not try to get better or make any changes because the replacement could be worse. Hmm....Maybe it could be better as well. Not to harp on you but if I owned a company you would not be running it with that attitude.
I would make sure that trying to upgrade was the 1,2,3 up to infinity objectives of a replacement. With Pitt it is never those. It's usually everything but that. Cost, academic pretense, "morals", "ethics", and everything else up to and including worrying if the football coach is having relations with the cheerleader coach.

MSU would hire him right back when Pitt fires him! He’s a coordinator not a head coach. If true he doesn’t like recruiting then he should do the honorable thing and resign at end of season! Same was said about Chryst when he was here and look at him now.
It's true. Graham and Chryst proved that nobody else holds it against them when a coach stinks at Pitt.

Reactions: cpc247
How is the coach responsible for missed tackles and stupid penalties? Do the players own any of the responsibility?
The players certainly did earn a share of this disaster!

A good coaching staff is responsible for training and coaching players so mistakes are minimal.

Good coaches have coaching systems and methodologies that train athletes to repeat good behavior.
Sloppy play, lack of execution across the board is usually a sign that the staff isn't doing their jobs!

MSU ain't hiring him back!

The coach is responsible for recruiting the right players and for instilling discipline and the best habits with the players. Well-coached, talented players don't miss the tackles that Pitt players consistently miss. And like I said....using penalties and officiating as an excuse for losing is for losers. Officiating doesn't enter into any discussions on why we lost that game yesterday. Not even remotely.

tenor.gif

Coach can’t say anything about refs butbYou know darn well Heather Lyke should be on the horn to the ACC office is saying what the Hells going on with your referees and provide them with game film of exactly what she’s talking about

Yikes
1&2 are definitely coaching.
3 is snowflake whining

As someone else aptly described Narduzzi : a Big pretend HC caught in a 1962 time warp. He’s clueless about today’s offensive an defensive FB

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
I thought the same thing, but I’ve jumped off the boat quicker than he and the team have given up. The past two weeks between this debacle and the PSU game are things that you just can’t come back from. When the majority of the fan base is in agreeance that you should be gone, it’s only a matter of time.

I used to think that we could get by with suspect recruiting classes that were on-par with our conference and hover around 7-8 wins a year. That’s thrown out the window.

I have always thought that PN would turn this ship around and I still believe he can but things are starting to fall apart and he needs to get control of his team or this is going to be a long year followed by a very long offseason .

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I thought the same thing, but I’ve jumped off the boat quicker than he and the team have given up. The past two weeks between this debacle and the PSU game are things that you just can’t come back from. When the majority of the fan base is in agreeance that you should be gone, it’s only a matter of time.

I used to think that we could get by with suspect recruiting classes that were on-par with our conference and hover around 7-8 wins a year. That’s thrown out the window.

You can but you have to find the correct under recruited guys and run the correct systems on offense and defense. WVU, Wisconsin, UCF etc etc have not recruited any better on paper. At Pitt we can't afford to have a weak recruiter at HC unless he is absolutely lights out on offense or Defense(or great at finding hidden talent). To me the biggest problem with PN isn't recruiting, game day decisions etc etc its that his defense still sucks 4 years after taking the job. Thats unacceptable at this point. If the defense was good but the offense sucked I would say keep him and change the OC. Spend whatever it takes to get a top level guy and make this work. The problem is he isn't recruiting well enough, isn't finding the hidden gems enough and his defensive system isn't working. You can't just change the OC and DC and make a big difference. Pitt needs a HC that can basically also be the OC or DC. That saves money and allows more to be spent on the other side of the ball where the HC won't be as good.

Of course. You miss the point. This isn't Middle School football. This is D1, P5 football. You recruit athletes . Get the right athletes and coach them to be successful.

Case in Point: Dennis Briggs. Great young man. Not a D1 P5 Athlete. Not even close. The cherry on top is he is a senior. His playing days at Pitt should be over.

Of course. You miss the point. This isn't Middle School football. This is D1, P5 football. You recruit athletes . Get the right athletes and coach them to be successful.

Case in Point: Dennis Briggs. Great young man. Not a D1 P5 Athlete. Not even close. The cherry on top is he is a senior. His playing days at Pitt should be over.
We have entirely too many of Dennis Briggs

Gary, I have to say I agreed with you until yesterday. What is the most troubling for me is how we fall apart and don't even perform like a football team in the second halves of games. Halftime adjustments are made by good coaches, our staff has really not been able to adapt to 2nd half adjustments made by the teams we are playing. There is a reason we have scored only 10 points in the 2nd half after performing well in the 1st half. Furthermore, we cannot stop anyone in the 2nd half. Goergia Tech nearly came back and erased a huge deficit last week and Carolina went off on us this week. We are clearly getting outcoached by other staffs.

I also believe that Narduzzi has not brought in enough good coaches or recruiters. Our class to this point, is one of the weakest in quite some time. I am afraid to say, but it is year 4, and the direction of the program is once again heading in the wrong way. Sadly, I think there is enough talent to be successful, the players just don't seem to be coached well enough, and that has led to little development.

When you have a team stuck in a 3rd and seventeen situation and let them get a 1st down, that tells alot. First, Carolina went to there very best playmaker, which you might think Pitt might expect, but they couldn't get him down short of the sticks. What does it mean? 1) Either the players were poorly prepared on the play, and didn't expect Ratliff to get the ball, which would be the coaches fault. 2) The players were prepared for the play, but, couldn't make it due to inferior talent, that would also be on the coach since he recruits the players.

I am tired of the excuses. Narduzzi said we will be playing for an ACC title. I think he should keep his mouth shut, and concentrate his energy on recruiting better talent and hiring better coaches. Come to think of it, maybe better talent wouldn't help since Narduzzi loves to play 5th year seniors who can't play at this level, while sitting the younger more athletic players he has until they learn his failing system.

Gary, I have to say I agreed with you until yesterday. What is the most troubling for me is how we fall apart and don't even perform like a football team in the second halves of games. Halftime adjustments are made by good coaches, our staff has really not been able to adapt to 2nd half adjustments made by the teams we are playing. There is a reason we have scored only 10 points in the 2nd half after performing well in the 1st half. Furthermore, we cannot stop anyone in the 2nd half. Goergia Tech nearly came back and erased a huge deficit last week and Carolina went off on us this week. We are clearly getting outcoached by other staffs.

I also believe that Narduzzi has not brought in enough good coaches or recruiters. Our class to this point, is one of the weakest in quite some time. I am afraid to say, but it is year 4, and the direction of the program is once again heading in the wrong way. Sadly, I think there is enough talent to be successful, the players just don't seem to be coached well enough, and that has led to little development.

When you have a team stuck in a 3rd and seventeen situation and let them get a 1st down, that tells alot. First, Carolina went to there very best playmaker, which you might think Pitt might expect, but they couldn't get him down short of the sticks. What does it mean? 1) Either the players were poorly prepared on the play, and didn't expect Ratliff to get the ball, which would be the coaches fault. 2) The players were prepared for the play, but, couldn't make it due to inferior talent, that would also be on the coach since he recruits the players.

I am tired of the excuses. Narduzzi said we will be playing for an ACC title. I think he should keep his mouth shut, and concentrate his energy on recruiting better talent and hiring better coaches. Come to think of it, maybe better talent wouldn't help since Narduzzi loves to play 5th year seniors who can't play at this level, while sitting the younger more athletic players he has until they learn his failing system.
Yea...Narduzzi likes to talk the talk, but he needs to stop talking and start producing.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
Aren’t 1 and 2 on the coach? Also, this staff has been watching our Punter for 2 years. Why didn’t they bring in someone else? Who hired Watson? Why hasn’t the defense progressed since PN has been here?
Dude this isn’t that on the coach argument is tired

This isn’t a coach alive that doesn’t have this happen at one point or another...

Trying to make every argument entirely black or white is a problem

I’ll even say the officiating aspect is on the coach. It sucks, it absolutely sucks. Every single time we’ve played Carolina ridiculously awful calls by the officials played a huge role. But a good team will take matters into their own hands and get past that.

Besides that though, the staff continuously time and time again keeps putting these kids in situations that are impossible to succeed in. It’s a disaster, and it’s all entirely on the coaching staff.

Dude this isn’t that on the coach argument is tired

This isn’t a coach alive that doesn’t have this happen at one point or another...

Trying to make every argument entirely black or white is a problem
Of course it happens sometimes. It's been a recurring theme for this coach though. And it's getting worse, not better. The defense in year 1 played with better intensity and discipline than in year 4.

I don't like to put blame on the refs but this was one of the worst officiated games I ever seen. n.c. was just grabbing and holding right in front of the refs and they were not calling anything. pitt played terrible but the refs were ridiculous!

When you say that those first two fundamental problems are not on the head coach, you're dead wrong. When you say that a team's lack of consistency and failure to execute isn't on the head coach, you're dead wrong.

As for the officiating, that's always the death cry of the loser. Bad officiating can effect the outcome of a game, good teams find a way to overcome it. Frankly, if we beat this piss-poor UNC team by a TD instead of losing the way we did, that's still a very concerning outcome.

So they executed and tackled against Georgia Tech but somehow were not coached to do it this week? C'mon.....7/15 on third down conversions for UNC.....they averaged 10 yards per throw. Players in the secondary...linebackers could not cover...the safety was out of position trying to play the run on a number of instances. The scheme is sound, the players cannot play. Need proof....look at the game vs. PSU....they quit.

So they executed and tackled against Georgia Tech but somehow were not coached to do it this week? C'mon.....7/15 on third down conversions for UNC.....they averaged 10 yards per throw. Players in the secondary...linebackers could not cover...the safety was out of position trying to play the run on a number of instances. The scheme is sound, the players cannot play. Need proof....look at the game vs. PSU....they quit.
They didn't have to defend the pass against this bad 2018 GT team. It's a lot easier to defend when everything is between the hash marks in front of you all game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT