ADVERTISEMENT

Edinboro Exhibition Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I suspect one of the reasons we Pitt Hoops fans go to exhibition games such as this one is to learn some things -- even get some answers. But for me, I left the Pete with more questions than I arrived.

** The biggest question for me is regarding the guy who didn’t even suit up – Big John. The word we all got a few weeks ago was that he’d be ready for the season. Seeing him walking around with a big brace on his big leg makes me wonder how far away he really is.

** This leads to the next question. Can this team win without him? If he’s not ready for the Legends Classic, are we facing the prospect of starting the year 1-3? I’m kinda worried this could be the case.

** Or maybe you’re not worried if you believe in Blake Hinson. And why not? He was simply splendid in the first half of this effort against Edinboro. During the game I noted that his success was spurred from knowing that there was no one who was either willing or able to guard him. Most better Division I teams will have someone to match up on Blake, and not leave him completely wide open standing at the three point line.

** But don’t allow me to downplay Mr. Hinson. He’s a player for sure. A true talent. And if we can ever get Big John back on the court, the two of them should make for a highly formidable duo. Our best since Artis and Young.

** In the meantime, do we even have a someone who can play the five for any more than a few minutes? At this point, I just don’t think so, although I became more convinced today that Fede is much more ready to backup John than GDiaz.

** In fact, I’m still waiting for any evidence that either of the twins are ready for even meaningful minutes during this campaign. But I just don’t see it. I hope I’m wrong.

** Besides Big John, we also need to know when Will Jeffess returns. I ask this because I believe it’s possible that Coach Capel will play Jeffess, or even Nate Santos, as the first bench option at the four before JDiaz.

** It's probably worth noting that twice today we saw a lineup of Hinson-Santos-along with your choice of three of our four guards in the other spots. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this lineup at times, at least until John returns. In fact, I wouldn’t even question it.

** As for our four guards, we didn’t learn anything new about any of them today, but there really weren’t any serious questions about any of them anyway. They look like a solid foursome, and nothing we’ve seen from any of them thus far should change that (Nelly’s cramp notwithstanding). And only about two months or so from now will we begin to get any idea if a solid foursome equals a winning foursome.

** Otherwise, at this point, it’s not hard to assume that Burton-Elliott-Nelly and Nike is a notable improvement over Burton-Horton-Femi-No Nike and a walk on.

** So here’s a question I will pose to myself assuming Big John returns at full strength sometime soon. Why can’t I get more excited about this team? After all, John is a year older and wiser. Blake looks like an upgrade over Mo (a player I liked a great deal), and our foursome of this year’s guards looks like an improvement over last year’s.

** Add to that the notion that Fede looks to be the equal or better than Noah Collier last year, and Jeffress could reprise is role as the understudy at the four, at the very least.

** And I’m not even counting any contribution from the Twins, while many more of you think there will be more than I do.

** I guess the answer to my question lies simply within Coach Capel. In this first four years, I’ve yet to see a Pitt Hoops group that has looked like he’s organized them well. I’ve yet to see a group that has looked like it’s even played to the sum of it’s parts, let alone greater than.

** I’ll also confess that I’m still a little jaded by how bad the Panthers looked in their final five games of last year, following the unlikely blowout of the Tar Heels.

** The best part of any Pitt Hoops season though is that it eventually gets around to answering all of our questions. I sure hope we like the answers a heck of a lot more for this campaign than we have for the past six.

** I suspect one of the reasons we Pitt Hoops fans go to exhibition games such as this one is to learn some things -- even get some answers. But for me, I left the Pete with more questions than I arrived.

** The biggest question for me is regarding the guy who didn’t even suit up – Big John. The word we all got a few weeks ago was that he’d be ready for the season. Seeing him walking around with a big brace on his big leg makes me wonder how far away he really is.

** This leads to the next question. Can this team win without him? If he’s not ready for the Legends Classic, are we facing the prospect of starting the year 1-3? I’m kinda worried this could be the case.

** Or maybe you’re not worried if you believe in Blake Hinson. And why not? He was simply splendid in the first half of this effort against Edinboro. During the game I noted that his success was spurred from knowing that there was no one who was either willing or able to guard him. Most better Division I teams will have someone to match up on Blake, and not leave him completely wide open standing at the three point line.

** But don’t allow me to downplay Mr. Hinson. He’s a player for sure. A true talent. And if we can ever get Big John back on the court, the two of them should make for a highly formidable duo. Our best since Artis and Young.

** In the meantime, do we even have a someone who can play the five for any more than a few minutes? At this point, I just don’t think so, although I became more convinced today that Fede is much more ready to backup John than GDiaz.

** In fact, I’m still waiting for any evidence that either of the twins are ready for even meaningful minutes during this campaign. But I just don’t see it. I hope I’m wrong.

** Besides Big John, we also need to know when Will Jeffess returns. I ask this because I believe it’s possible that Coach Capel will play Jeffess, or even Nate Santos, as the first bench option at the four before JDiaz.

** It's probably worth noting that twice today we saw a lineup of Hinson-Santos-along with your choice of three of our four guards in the other spots. I wouldn’t be shocked to see this lineup at times, at least until John returns. In fact, I wouldn’t even question it.

** As for our four guards, we didn’t learn anything new about any of them today, but there really weren’t any serious questions about any of them anyway. They look like a solid foursome, and nothing we’ve seen from any of them thus far should change that (Nelly’s cramp notwithstanding). And only about two months or so from now will we begin to get any idea if a solid foursome equals a winning foursome.

** Otherwise, at this point, it’s not hard to assume that Burton-Elliott-Nelly and Nike is a notable improvement over Burton-Horton-Femi-No Nike and a walk on.

** So here’s a question I will pose to myself assuming Big John returns at full strength sometime soon. Why can’t I get more excited about this team? After all, John is a year older and wiser. Blake looks like an upgrade over Mo (a player I liked a great deal), and our foursome of this year’s guards looks like an improvement over last year’s.

** Add to that the notion that Fede looks to be the equal or better than Noah Collier last year, and Jeffress could reprise is role as the understudy at the four, at the very least.

** And I’m not even counting any contribution from the Twins, while many more of you think there will be more than I do.

** I guess the answer to my question lies simply within Coach Capel. In this first four years, I’ve yet to see a Pitt Hoops group that has looked like he’s organized them well. I’ve yet to see a group that has looked like it’s even played to the sum of it’s parts, let alone greater than.

** I’ll also confess that I’m still a little jaded by how bad the Panthers looked in their final five games of last year, following the unlikely blowout of the Tar Heels.

** The best part of any Pitt Hoops season though is that it eventually gets around to answering all of our questions. I sure hope we like the answers a heck of a lot more for this campaign than we have for the past six.
The news about Hugley is concerning at this point, to say the least. JC said after the game he has no idea when he'll be back. https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/11/02/pittsburgh-basketball-press-conference/

Yes. It is a serious concern. Capel said after the game in his presser that he didn't expect Hugley or Jeffress to play vs Tennessee-Martin. Beyond that he said he would know more on Monday about when they might be back.

** But don’t allow me to downplay Mr. Hinson. He’s a player for sure. A true talent. And if we can ever get Big John back on the court, the two of them should make for a highly formidable duo. Our best since Artis and Young.''

Agree. Hinson impressed statistically. What didn't impress was the 3 ball shooting of several other guys--but it was only one game.

** In the meantime, do we even have a someone who can play the five for any more than a few minutes? At this point, I just don’t think so, although I became more convinced today that Fede is much more ready to backup John than GDiaz. Agree, Federiko again seemed the best option to back up Hugley.

Rebounding was much better when he was in and pretty bad when a twin was in instead. That is possibly why Capel seemed to put both twins in together when Federiko was out.

Followed game from afar via "live stats" as I did the Clarion exhibition. Appreciate the view, DT, you have from watching the game in person. Stuck my comments to your dribbles above.

I’m glad to see Blake performing well and sincerely hope he can carry this over to the regular season. We need him to be able to contribute like this.

Reactions: Drew1208
I thought the 3 ball shooting was fantastic outside of the twins. Looks like Hinson, Elliot, Sibande, Cummings and Santos can all shoot it at least a serviceable clip. I believe we will hover in the 35-40% range on the season, which would be a marked improvement over the last several seasons. But we will have some games where we don't shoot it well and it will cost us.

The twins were a combined 0-7 from 3. I don't think they'll get much run when Big John and Will come back. Fede is definitely an improvement over Collier. Burton is about the same. Sibande looks like he's fully recovered from his surgery.

Where I think we will struggle is defensively, unless the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts or we accumulate turnovers. Speaking of turnovers, I think we will value the ball much better this year than last, but our rebounding has to be a collective effort. There is no dominant inside presence on defense and I think we will get exposed by good guards on dribble penetration, a weakness going back to Jamie Dixon's last few teams.

It was nice to see Burton get yanked early for being careless with the ball. There is depth. The bench will be used as a motivator for the first time in many years. Last year they played with 6 guys including a walk on for a good portion of the season.

Overall, I believe we will see marked improvement over last year if we don't lose Big John for too many games. Bubble worthy?? Not so fast my friends. But I can say I was more impressed by yesterday's performance versus our lack luster performance in our exhibition against Gannon last year. We could have scored 120 points on Edinboro if we didn't rest all of the starters in the second half, where we struggled to pull away from Gannon.

Last edited:
We're gonna suck this year, finish near last on the conference and Capel will be bought out.
People like you thought we could do better than Dixon. The intelligent posters were telling you to be careful for what you wished for because things will more than likely get worse. Well….guess what happened?

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

I believe some of the diminishing anticipation for the season happened with the Dior arrest. Many thought Dior could lead Pitt to a bubble situation for the NCAA, because he had the most elite talent for the guards. To many the ceiling dropped with that situation.

I believe some of the diminishing anticipation for the season happened with the Dior arrest. Many thought Dior could lead Pitt to a bubble situation for the NCAA, because he had the most elite talent for the guards. To many the ceiling dropped with that situation.
It did for me -
An elite pg makes a huge difference

Reactions: jctrack

This is why I was asking for some update on Hugley. All we got was he had a knee injury and was out a few weeks. Capel isnt secretive like Narduzzi. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that the injury is more severe but Pitt doesn't want another blow to fan hopes and hurt season ticket sales. There is simply no way we will beat any P6 teams without him. So if he doesn't play through the Legends Classic, we are absolutely 1-3 and our NCAAT chances are done before Thanksgiving. I hate to be that guy, but I have a small belief/hope that this team can make the NCAAT.

I haven't seen the twins play but I've said all summer I didn't expect meaningful contributions and had Fede as the backup 5. Capel said one of them is a perimeter player so I would think maybe that one gets a little time at the Stretch 4. The post player is way too skinny to play anything more than token minutes.

The news about Hugley is concerning at this point, to say the least. JC said after the game he has no idea when he'll be back. https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2022/11/02/pittsburgh-basketball-press-conference/
Son of a B. I hate to be right all the time but when there was no update on Hugley after the initial injury, I thought the injury might be much more severe. Usually for knee injuries, there is an initial diagnosis/timeframe then a week or so later after more testing, teams give an updated timeframe. Nothing definitive was ever given for him.

Assuming that Big John returns it may be ironic , but the health of Jeffress could be the key to the season . Outside of his shooting he plays good D and rebounds and hopefully his offense improves ( hard to imagine it can’t ! )

Played golf with a former college bb coach and he told me that a coach has far less impact on the teams results than the talent on the floor . There hasn’t been one of Capels teams that has had enough talent to be rated any better than 14 th preseason in the ACC . This team with a healthy Hugley , Henson and the guards will be his most talented team . Without Big John ……forgetboutit .

The twins aren’t on the team to play the 5 , their value this yr will be in their ability to hit 3’s and open up the court for Big John and Henson when needed .

The Big John Knee reminds me of the Champagnie Knee.
Both thought to be possibly really bad.
Then diagnosed not that bad.
But the team seems to do a good job of never rushing a player back

Reactions: Elsalvador
I thought the 3 ball shooting was fantastic outside of the twins. Looks like Hinson, Elliot, Sibande, Cummings and Santos can all shoot it at least a serviceable clip. I believe we will hover in the 35-40% range on the season, which would be a marked improvement over the last several seasons. But we will have some games where we don't shoot it well and it will cost us.

The twins were a combined 0-7 from 3. I don't think they'll get much run when Big John and Will come back. Fede is definitely an improvement over Collier. Burton is about the same. Sibande looks like he's fully recovered from his surgery.

Where I think we will struggle is defensively, unless the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts or we accumulate turnovers. Speaking of turnovers, I think we will value the ball much better this year than last, but our rebounding has to be a collective effort. There is no dominant inside presence on defense and I think we will get exposed by good guards on dribble penetration, a weakness going back to Jamie Dixon's last few teams.

It was nice to see Burton get yanked early for being careless with the ball. There is depth. The bench will be used as a motivator for the first time in many years. Last year they played with 6 guys including a walk on for a good portion of the season.

Overall, I believe we will see marked improvement over last year if we don't lose Big John for too many games. Bubble worthy?? Not so fast my friends. But I can say I was more impressed by yesterday's performance versus our lack luster performance in our exhibition against Gannon last year. We could have scored 120 points on Edinboro if we didn't rest all of the starters in the second half, where we struggled to pull away from Gannon.
Well, Santos only made 1 of 7 threes—that wasn’t good.

I hope you are right. The other reality is that we’ve been saying can for a while and there has only been one game where he has.
He was our best hope for a 3 point shooter last year. This year he's down the list of 5 guys. That's the difference.

He was our best hope for a 3 point shooter last year. This year he's down the list of 5 guys. That's the difference.
Either I'm not quite understanding your point or maybe we just disagree, in that Santos was "our best hope for a 3 shooter last year." Nonetheless, I concur that he's maybe number 5 or even 6 on the list this year (which is where I kinda thought he was last year too FWIW as he shot at 22% from three last year). Although, I should also say that in the first 3-4 games at last year, at times he did look like our ONLY three point shooter. That was until until he followed up the 4-8 against Towson with a 1-8 against Vanderbilt (with several BAD misses).

Reactions: rockypanther
Either I'm not quite understanding your point or maybe we just disagree, in that Santos was "our best hope for a 3 shooter last year." Nonetheless, I concur that he's maybe number 5 or even 6 on the list this year (which is where I kinda thought he was last year too FWIW as he shot at 22% from three last year). Although, I should also say that in the first 3-4 games at last year, at times he did look like our ONLY three point shooter. That was until until he followed up the 4-8 against Towson with a 1-8 against Vanderbilt (with several BAD misses).
He’s like a golfer with a beautiful swing that can’t score . It’s just not all about form you gotta put the ball in the hole/ hoop .

Reactions: Drew1208
He’s like a golfer with a beautiful swing that can’t score . It’s just not all about form you gotta put the ball in the hole/ hoop .
I 100% think he has trouble when the big lights come on.
If he can get over that, I don't know.
Some guys practice well and aren't gamers, some suck at practice and are great in games.

Assuming that Big John returns it may be ironic , but the health of Jeffress could be the key to the season . Outside of his shooting he plays good D and rebounds and hopefully his offense improves ( hard to imagine it can’t ! )

Played golf with a former college bb coach and he told me that a coach has far less impact on the teams results than the talent on the floor . There hasn’t been one of Capels teams that has had enough talent to be rated any better than 14 th preseason in the ACC . This team with a healthy Hugley , Henson and the guards will be his most talented team . Without Big John ……forgetboutit .

The twins aren’t on the team to play the 5 , their value this yr will be in their ability to hit 3’s and open up the court for Big John and Henson when needed .
A coach told you his failures weren’t his fault
Breaking news

Coaches very seldom win games , the coach with the better players normally wins the games .

Putting is better than counting pills !
Counting pills pays the bills for putting.
can’t believe Cremins didn’t teach you that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT