ADVERTISEMENT

El Traffico

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
Before watching Pitt Spring Football Saturday, I watched the first half of LA Galaxy vs. LAFC, it's hilarious how they give it that name, always trying to COPY something from Europe- are American soccer fans that superficial that they hunger for any resemblance to Europe? but still it was entertaining, had me wondering as I watched Chichirito and Vela, they are playing well and are exciting players, Mexico MNT hasn't been great, 0-3-1 vs, USMNT in the last year, makes me wonder why these guys don't play for them anymore? Chichirito especially, do they look so good just because MLS isn't very good? but CONCACAF has full teams of players who play at lower levels than MLS. Turns out the LA vs LA game was an awesome game, Galaxy won 2-1, FC scored in the 8th minute of extra team but it was waived off for offsides.

Before watching Pitt Spring Football Saturday, I watched the first half of LA Galaxy vs. LAFC, it's hilarious how they give it that name, always trying to COPY something from Europe- are American soccer fans that superficial that they hunger for any resemblance to Europe?
Dude, the sport originated in Europe. It’s ok to copy anything associated with the sport. Should we not call a Cruyff move by it’s name because it was named after a European player who made the name famous? Your dislike for european soccer is weird. You should just be happy we call it soccer here.

el traffico is actually a very cool name for a rivalry match between two clubs from LA…an area with many Spanish speaking locals. And given the two Spanish teams in el Classico are probably the two biggest clubs in the world, it’s good marketing.

soccer

Reactions: Pitt79
Dude, the sport originated in Europe. It’s ok to copy anything associated with the sport. Should we not call a Cruyff move by it’s name because it was named after a European player who made the name famous? Your dislike for european soccer is weird. You should just be happy we call it soccer here.

el traffico is actually a very cool name for a rivalry match between two clubs from LA…an area with many Spanish speaking locals. And given the two Spanish teams in el Classico are probably the two biggest clubs in the world, it’s good marketing.

soccer
I don't dislike European soccer, I just don't feel like inside the USA we have to adopt EVERYTHING Euro, It is good marketing though for the LA Teams, and if you saw any of that game, it was clearly a major league environment there inside that stadium. I don't even know what a Cryuff move is? I just learned what an Olympico goal is yesterday :) a guy for Charlotte scored one. What I mean about the Euro stuff, it's a uniform, field and zero, and in the USA it's not a kit or a pitch or nil, and in the USA we shouldn't name every team FC, City or United, a few of those are OK, but seriously, shouldn't we make soccer our own? Do we have to copy Europe on all the little details? Cryuff was a German player, I think he also played in NASL, so I do know that?

I don't dislike European soccer, I just don't feel like inside the USA we have to adopt EVERYTHING Euro, It is good marketing though for the LA Teams, and if you saw any of that game, it was clearly a major league environment there inside that stadium. I don't even know what a Cryuff move is? I just learned what an Olympico goal is yesterday :) a guy for Charlotte scored one. What I mean about the Euro stuff, it's a uniform, field and zero, and in the USA it's not a kit or a pitch or nil, and in the USA we shouldn't name every team FC, City or United, a few of those are OK, but seriously, shouldn't we make soccer our own? Do we have to copy Europe on all the little details? Cryuff was a German player, I think he also played in NASL, so I do know that?
Well the FC thing, or the “sporting” thing is another discussion point. These aren’t sporting clubs here. And it’s not football here. So I get that. Is it overdone? Maybe. But it could also be argued that it’s not overdone. What about Real Salt Lake?? What the hell is that? Lol.

A little explanation, history, and lesson

What about the maradona turn? That’s another one. But he’s Argentinian. Is that ok? Lol.

Cruyff was a Dutch player, so you at least had the continent correct. He started his pro career at Ajax, an Amsterdam team, before going to Barcelona, where he played for the remainder of his career and then coached.

If they want to name the games between the two LA teams after El Clasico, that’s fine with me. But, they should spell it El Trafico with one f, just as El Clasico is spelled with one s — not 2.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
What about Real Salt Lake?? What the hell is that? Lol.
They just went for a Euro sounding name, I don't mind if they have ONE, like SPORTING KC or INTER Miami, but hey, this is America, teams shouldn't have duplicate nicknames, I love the DC United name, because they picked that name first, we don't need about 2-3 Uniteds :)

Cruyff was a Dutch player, so you at least had the continent correct. He started his pro career at Ajax, an Amsterdam team, before going to Barcelona, where he played for the remainder of his career and then coached.

If they want to name the games between the two LA teams after El Clasico, that’s fine with me. But, they should spell it El Trafico with one f, just as El Clasico is spelled with one s — not 2.
The Traffico with 2 Fs was my error. Theyspell it with one.

And to be honest, 95% of my soccer history knowledge comes from after the USA WC and the start of the MLS.

Reactions: mike412
They just went for a Euro sounding name, I don't mind if they have ONE, like SPORTING KC or INTER Miami, but hey, this is America, teams shouldn't have duplicate nicknames, I love the DC United name, because they picked that name first, we don't need about 2-3 Uniteds :)

Hold on a second, you don't like them using European names for things but you love the name DC United? You know where the United nickname comes from, right?

Before watching Pitt Spring Football Saturday, I watched the first half of LA Galaxy vs. LAFC, it's hilarious how they give it that name, always trying to COPY something from Europe- are American soccer fans that superficial that they hunger for any resemblance to Europe? but still it was entertaining, had me wondering as I watched Chichirito and Vela, they are playing well and are exciting players, Mexico MNT hasn't been great, 0-3-1 vs, USMNT in the last year, makes me wonder why these guys don't play for them anymore? Chichirito especially, do they look so good just because MLS isn't very good? but CONCACAF has full teams of players who play at lower levels than MLS. Turns out the LA vs LA game was an awesome game, Galaxy won 2-1, FC scored in the 8th minute of extra team but it was waived off for offsides.

To get to your original question, neither Vela or Chicharito have played for Mexico in a long time because they have problems with the people running the federation. Or in Chicharito's case, it's more like the people running the federation have a problem with him.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mexican Federation is run by the owners of the teams in Liga MX. So unlike in the US, where US Soccer loves it that Pulisic is playing at Chelsea and Reyna is playing at Dortmund an so on, the people running the Mexican Federation have a vested interest in the best Mexican players playing in Mexico. And Vela and Chicharito were two prominent, early Mexican players who left Mexico to go over to Europe to play. That didn't sit well with a lot of people in powerful positions there. Some, maybe even a lot, of that attitude has since dissipated, by there are some people that hold grudges for a long time against certain people.

Hold on a second, you don't like them using European names for things but you love the name DC United? You know where the United nickname comes from, right?
I don't mind if they have ONE United, ONE Inter, ONE FC, ONE Real. DC United came up with that 1st, there was ONE United, so it's fine, we don't need Minnesota United and Atlanta United they should of thought of an original name, and 5-6 FCs, having one is fine, duplicate names is not an American thing.

To get to your original question, neither Vela or Chicharito have played for Mexico in a long time because they have problems with the people running the federation. Or in Chicharito's case, it's more like the people running the federation have a problem with him.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Mexican Federation is run by the owners of the teams in Liga MX. So unlike in the US, where US Soccer loves it that Pulisic is playing at Chelsea and Reyna is playing at Dortmund an so on, the people running the Mexican Federation have a vested interest in the best Mexican players playing in Mexico. And Vela and Chicharito were two prominent, early Mexican players who left Mexico to go over to Europe to play. That didn't sit well with a lot of people in powerful positions there. Some, maybe even a lot, of that attitude has since dissipated, by there are some people that hold grudges for a long time against certain people.
OK thanks, I don't follow that stuff closely, as a soccer fan, I don't get into the politics of it, just watch the games I choose to watch. Watching these two guys play, even though they are older, I'd think Mexico is making a mistake not playing them on their NT, Chichirito especially is pulling off some magic moves around the goal for LA.

I don't mind if they have ONE United, ONE Inter, ONE FC, ONE Real. DC United came up with that 1st, there was ONE United, so it's fine, we don't need Minnesota United and Atlanta United they should of thought of an original name, and 5-6 FCs, having one is fine, duplicate names is not an American thing.

But they are all of European origin, and we are not Europeans, we are Mericans! And Mericans name their sports teams after animals and mythical creatures and the like. It's those pansy Europeans that name their teams things like United or Inter and the like.

And besides that, if any town in the US is going to call their team "United" it surely shouldn't be the least united city in the country!

• Haha
But they are all of European origin, and we are not Europeans, we are Mericans! And Mericans name their sports teams after animals and mythical creatures and the like. It's those pansy Europeans that name their teams things like United or Inter and the like.

And besides that, if any town in the US is going to call their team "United" it surely shouldn't be the least united city in the country!
What happens now that Joe’s illegals are being bussed straight to DC from Texas?

I guess I'm OK with a name like United in MLS, if there's ONLY ONE, and after ONE OF EACH of the Euro names are taken, then go with animals or mythical creatures. It's not the names themselves that I take exception to, it's having multiple teams using the same names. And you're really F'ed up, I love Europeans more than I love Americans, Likely I've spent more time in Europe than any of you and not in typical countries Americans might go to like England or Germany, but places like Greece, Russia, Georgia, Turkey., Ukraine, Cyprus.. so I'm not saying this because of some Euro Phobia, just saying in America, make it our own.

DC United was unique in America, therefore it' fine, but a second or 3rd United is stupid, then it becomes a Europe copy cat thing.

Jesus Christ help me, You're hopeless, the absolutism is ridiculous, the all or nothing. :)

So to recap, we shouldn't use European terms in American sports, except when you approve.

There certainly is something ridiculous here.

You know, it would really help you out in life if you learned to figure out when people were joking around with you.

DC United was unique in America, therefore it' fine, but a second or 3rd United is stupid, then it becomes a Europe copy cat thing.
Ok, I think you’re trolling here. You have to be.

So to recap, we shouldn't use European terms in American sports, except when you approve.

There certainly is something ridiculous here.

You know, it would really help you out in life if you learned to figure out when people were joking around with you.
Not if "I approve", just like most American sports league and maybe you can do research and find exceptions, you seem to have the time on your hands? Like Most American leagues, two teams should not have the same name. DC used United, Atlanta and Minnesota should figure out a different name.

Why is it trolling to think this, Maybe the Ravens and Browns should change their name to the Steelers, why not?
Because it’s soccer. Just in the EPL, 20% of the teams are “United”. 4 of the 20 teams carry that name. You say “this is America” and teams should all have different names. But others say “this is soccer” and DC doesn’t have exclusivity rights to the name United.

Because it’s soccer. Just in the EPL, 20% of the teams are “United”. 4 of the 20 teams carry that name. You say “this is America” and teams should all have different names. But others say “this is soccer” and DC doesn’t have exclusivity rights to the name United.
Just because EPL is like that, doesn't mean MLS has to mimic them.

ADVERTISEMENT