ADVERTISEMENT

Elite 8 !

Congrats ladies. !!

I forgot it was on and turned it on literally 2 seconds before the 3rd goal. I said in another post that Pitt was the favorite in this game. But now we have FSU, who we haven't beaten......ever? They are like Clemson to Pitt basketball or Miami to Pitt football.

Congrats ladies. !!
Yes, keep it going. Get that NC!

So we are a Women’s Volleyball school now? Also Men’s Basketball? Men’s soccer? Men’s wrestling? and my personal favorites Men’s and Women’s Ulimate?

Team of destiny? We ended Arkansas’ 32-game home winning streak on Thursday and Memphis’ 17-game winning streak tonight.

Two goals off of set pieces. A Randy Waldrum specialty. I would bet we have more goals from set pieces than anyone.

What a perfect weekend, spoiled (but not much) by women's BB losing to Duquesne: Pitt women’s soccer beating # 2 Arkansas. Pitt FB beating BC. Volleyball beating #3 Louisville. Wrestling beating #17 Lehigh 21-12. Men’s BB slaughtering Jacksonville.

So we are a Women’s Volleyball school now? Also Men’s Basketball? Men’s soccer? Men’s wrestling? and my personal favorites Men’s and Women’s Ulimate?
Sorry missed Women’s soccer.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I forgot it was on and turned it on literally 2 seconds before the 3rd goal. I said in another post that Pitt was the favorite in this game. But now we have FSU, who we haven't beaten......ever? They are like Clemson to Pitt basketball or Miami to Pitt football.
Never beat them. But we are due. It’s soccer. Hunker down and counter.

What a perfect weekend, spoiled (but not much) by women's BB losing to Duquesne: Pitt women’s soccer beating # 2 Arkansas. Pitt FB beating BC. Volleyball beating #3 Louisville. Wrestling beating #17 Lehigh 21-12. Men’s BB slaughtering Jacksonville.

If you are counting Thursday's football game, shouldn't you also count the loss on Thursday night to James Madison in the men's soccer tournament?

Two Sweet 16's followed by an Elite 8. That's an increasing
upward curve. Impressive!

The frisbee team has taken a step back. They were sort of like Pitt football in the WW1 era. No one really was taking frisbee seriously and Pitt had a legit coach who recruited HS football players. Now the big schools all have legit programs so Pitt is average

Never beat them. But we are due. It’s soccer. Hunker down and counter.

I've watched very little of this Pitt team but the strength of the team seems to be the forwards, not the D. Thought things came to easy at times for what I thought was a pedestrian Arkansas team (#2 seed WTF?). But its soccer like you say so it may just take 1.

I've watched very little of this Pitt team but the strength of the team seems to be the forwards, not the D. Thought things came to easy at times for what I thought was a pedestrian Arkansas team (#2 seed WTF?). But its soccer like you say so it may just take 1.
Well all I can say about our local players is that Randy and Ben have taken very good players and has them playing to their strengths. Shupansky scoring goals and whipping those corners in consistently and accurately, Landy’s ability to get by her defender and get crosses in…her crossing ability is elite, and Coffield’s all around elite play and intangibles. I mean, with the programs all time leading scorer on one wing and Landy on the other…it’s a pick your poison scenario for the other team. No wonder they pepper the opposing teams keeper with shot after shot. Just a fun team to watch.

But in the 2nd half tonight, the defending was spot on. Memphis was playing with desperation to get the equalizer, and Pitt stayed organized and composed in the back. I was really impressed with a group that I’m not all that familiar with either. They did get stretched at times and I did wonder why they weren’t as compact…but shame on me. I’m a bloke on a message board and Waldrum is one of the best.

Not much of a soccer fan but that was kind of entertaining They payed FSU close in the acc tourney so maybe Lady Luck is on their side in this one

Well all I can say about our local players is that Randy and Ben have taken very good players and has them playing to their strengths. Shupansky scoring goals and whipping those corners in consistently and accurately, Landy’s ability to get by her defender and get crosses in…her crossing ability is elite, and Coffield’s all around elite play and intangibles. I mean, with the programs all time leading scorer on one wing and Landy on the other…it’s a pick your poison scenario for the other team. No wonder they pepper the opposing teams keeper with shot after shot. Just a fun team to watch.

But in the 2nd half tonight, the defending was spot on. Memphis was playing with desperation to get the equalizer, and Pitt stayed organized and composed in the back. I was really impressed with a group that I’m not all that familiar with either. They did get stretched at times and I did wonder why they weren’t as compact…but shame on me. I’m a bloke on a message board and Waldrum is one of the best.

Didn't see it but Memphis is basically a mid-major so the D shouldn't be tested

So because of the conference that Memphis plays in, they should not be real test for our defense? Come on man. Please try to do better.

My guess is they are bottom-tier ACC
Yeah and that’s your guess as you really don’t follow the sport. And bottom tier ACC is still test and someone to be respected.
Those are two interesting comments. SMF, you might be right about
Memphis and the bottom of the ACC. However, what FK says about
the bottom having teams that are "respected" is very true. I'm not sure,
but how many ACC teams are still alive and in the elite 8?

Last edited:
Those are two interesting comments. SMF, you might be right about
Memphis and the bottom of the ACC. However, what FK says about
the bottom having teams that are "respected is very true. I'm not sure,
but how many ACC teams are still alive and in the elite 8?

5 teams from the ACC were invited to the tourney, and 4 are alive in the Elite 8. Unfortunately, 3 are in the same side of the bracket.

5 teams from the ACC were invited to the tourney, and 4 are alive in the Elite 8. Unfortunately, 3 are in the same side of the bracket.
Thanks.
That's too bad that "3 are in the same side of the bracket."
That does speak pretty highly of the conference in this
sport.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Yeah and that’s your guess as you really don’t follow the sport. And bottom tier ACC is still test and someone to be respected.

I agree but I'm saying its going to be much more difficult to stop an offense like FSU. I wasn't impressed with Arkansas.

Well we will have our hands full with that pacey frosh at FSU.
I have to admit, I don't really follow this sport, nor do
I know the real nuances of the game. BUT....I do follow
Pitt men and womens soccer, and one thing I do know.
It's not easy to beat a team three times in a season.
We've hung in there against FSU twice, and yes they're
more talented.....BUT maybe, just MAYBE, this third
time is ours.

I have to admit, I don't really follow this sport, nor do
I know the real nuances of the game. BUT....I do follow
Pitt men and womens soccer, and one thing I do know.
It's not easy to beat a team three times in a season.
We've hung in there against FSU twice, and yes they're
more talented.....BUT maybe, just MAYBE, this third
time is ours.

The beating a team 3 times thing is just something TV announcers say but its not true. There was a study done in the NFL and the team that won the first 2 games, won the 3rd game a high percentage of the time. Its soccer so I think Pitt can win the game even if dominated in possession and shots. Just wished it wasnt FSU again.

The beating a team 3 times thing is just something TV announcers say but its not true. There was a study done in the NFL and the team that won the first 2 games, won the 3rd game a high percentage of the time. Its soccer so I think Pitt can win the game even if dominated in possession and shots. Just wished it wasnt FSU again.
Good explanation SMF. However I can tell you from
"real" experience what it's like to go on the floor
a third time after winning the first two. Of course
in soccer it's not a floor LOL. But I think you know
what I'm saying.

what I'm saying.

Don't you go out on the floor the 3rd time thinking "these sobs couldn't beat us either of the first two, and they aren't beating us today either"?

what I'm saying.

Its psychological. The thinking is that eventually things have to even out so you cant beat a team 3 times. Eventually you have to lose to them. But if you lost the first 2 games, there's probably a good reason: you arent as good. So being not as good poses the same problem in the 3rd matchup.

You mean a mid-major like Santa Clara, which won the women’s’ title two or three years ago? Or Marshall, which recently won the men’s title? Or James Madison, which knocked the men’s’ team out of the tourney last week?

You mean a mid-major like Santa Clara, which won the women’s’ title two or three years ago? Or Marshall, which recently won the men’s title? Or James Madison, which knocked the men’s’ team out of the tourney last week?

No. I mean the 99% of other mid-majors who arent very good.

Don't you go out on the floor the 3rd time thinking "these sobs couldn't beat us either of the first two, and they aren't beating us today either"lol?
I knew that would get things going on here. The answer is
of course that's the attitude you should have and you think
you have. Sometimes though, that pychological let
down happens. It shouldn't but it can and sometimes
does happen.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Its psychological. The thinking is that eventually things have to even out so you cant beat a team 3 times. Eventually you have to lose to them. But if you lost the first 2 games, there's probably a good reason: you arent as good. So being not as good poses the same problem in the 3rd matchup.
Different degree of psychology. It's not that you think
you can't beat em a third time. It's more a case of
overconfidence and having a let down. Perfect scenario
for an upset. I'm not saying it always happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT