ADVERTISEMENT

End of Season Pitt Basketball Thoughts & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I’ve been thinking about what to write to end this season and thoughts just aren’t coming very easily. Really, what is there to say?

** It would seem only one word is coming to my mind. That word is “sad.”

** It’s sad what has happened to Pitt basketball. It’s equally sad that Pitt Basketball seems so incredibly far from getting significantly better. And for me, it’s so very sad that my favorite thing, something that has given me a great amount of joy since 1980, basically has provided little, if none at all, over the last six years.

** Sure, there have been a few moments over the last six campaigns. And we’ve watched some fine players, three of whom have played in the NBA.

** At the top of this year’s moments, one I will remember is the sight of Mo Gueye soaring for a rebound or a block. And I loved watching him play in a way that looked like he really, really loves playing.

** It wouldn’t surprise me if Mo finds his way to an NBA floor for a moment or two a few years in the future. I hope so. It would be a great story.

** Another memory from this year were those times when Big John made post scoring look pretty light and easy for such a big man. This certainly wasn’t always. But for his first full year, John did just fine. And he proved that his shoulders were pretty broad for the load he frequently had to carry.

** For a good part of this season, Onyebuchi Ezeakudo was a great story too. He always played so hard, and his contributions were real, not just for a former walk-on. Eventually and unfortunately however, he became all too clear of a symbol of how little talent this team has.

** But that was about it. The rest of our stories seemed like nothing more than the same old story – a story that’s become so sad.

** Sure, last year’s the story went a little differently. It featured some decent talent who achieved a little success to be spoiled along the way by internal strife.

** But this year’s story was not one bit different than what Head Coach Jeff Capel said in his final news conference – we need to get better talent.

** I’ll even go as far as to say that for short spurts in this year, it looked as if Coach was actually getting the most out of his talent. There were games where we did play to the sum of our parts. But when that sum is the combination of some numbers as low as ours, that’s sort of faint praise, isn’t it? And as the season went on, in the final weeks, our men couldn’t even sustain that below mediocre level. They either tired out or stopped caring and whatever buy-in the players once showed seemed to be sold. Whatever the reason, what difference does it make?

** I’ll be brutally honest about the talent. We will return just 6 guys who appear to even have the ability to play at the ACC level. And this includes Nike who didn’t even play this year and even Noah Collier who seem capable enough to hold down a single digit minute role as a backup of the five spot.

** Only John Hugley starts for a majority of ACC teams. Nike, Femi Ithiel and Jamarius don’t. That is a team woefully short on talent. It was a team that finished #158 according to Sagarin and #208 according to Pomeroy.

** Most would say that we liked the hire of Jeff Capel four years ago because he thought would remarkably improve our talent from a program that had just finished with an 0-18 ACC record and a #227 Pomeroy ranking in 2018.

** In short, Capel has failed at the one, most important reason we brought him to Pitt. He has failed to bring in enough talent. Four years after he arrived, he's right about back were he started from. And there no reason to believe this will change.

** As a fan, I wish I could think of one legitimate, reasonable thought that would justify Capel staying for another year, but I cannot.

** Of course, Heather Lyke may not be able to make a move for financial reasons, and while I understand this, to some degree, she almost has to held accountable in way for extending his contract without any real demonstrated success from Capel, putting herself in the situation she is now.

** I’ll close with two personal stories about our last two games. Last Friday night, I was planning my Saturday chores and errands, and I actually forgot about the Pitt game. I forgot. I woke up and somehow remembered and had to change my plans to fit in TV time. And halfway through the second half, I returned to my preplanned chores, because they were much less of a chore than watching to the end.

** And yesterday I didn’t even watch the ACC Tournament game. Since I entered College in 1984, I can’t recall ever not watching a conference tournament game, and I would take days off or make other arrangements to do so. I just didn’t bother yesterday. I just followed along on my phone for a while.

** I will always be proud to be a Pitt Basketball fan of the highest magnitude. But this year, maybe more than any year in the past, I felt that slipping. And that’s a problem, because I can only imagine how it must feel for someone who does not take this as seriously as I do.

** Therefore, something better happen soon. Either we get a new leader, or the current leader must finally show he can start getting better guys. Because where things stand now is sad.

I’m not and was never quite the die hard you are. But I would arrange things as best I could to watch or attend when I was able. I’ve taken personal time as well to watch games. Now I work from home and still couldn’t be bothered to turn on the tv even for a few minutes. Checked my phone a few times and that was more then enough.

** Of course, Heather Lyke may not be able to make a move for financial reasons, and while I understand this, to some degree, she almost has to held accountable in way for extending his contract without any real demonstrated success from Capel, putting herself in the situation she is now
Yep. I'd much rather have the Jamie situation - the coach succeeding and always threatening to bolt in order to get a better deal - than the JC situation of having rewarded him before having any success and now being stuck with a really bad contract.

Regarding JC, let me play the "what-if" game for a moment because I can't help but think "what if" he had a team of seniors in X, Trey and Toney along with Justin. Things would probably look quite a bit different. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I don't know if it was his fault or not for losing the first three, but no matter how you look at it, it cost him big not having that continuity.

Obviously, the only thing saving JC at this point is the buyout. He has a reprieve of sorts. Next year likely isn't going to be much better unless he strikes gold in the transfer portal. But he'll have until November to try to reel in a big '23 class. That's pretty much the only way he saves himself after next year.

Wooo
Shouldn't football get a windfall of cash this year?

** I’ve been thinking about what to write to end this season and thoughts just aren’t coming very easy. Really, what is there to say?

** It’s sad what has happened to Pitt basketball. It’s equally sad that Pitt Basketball seems so incredible far from getting significantly better. And for me, it’s incredibly sad that my favorite thing, something that has given me a great amount of joy since 1980, basically has provided little, if none at all, over the last six years.

** Sure, there have been a few moments over the last six campaigns. And we’ve watched some fine players, three of whom have played in the NBA.

** At the top of this year’s moments, one I will remember is the sight of Mo Gueye soaring for a rebound or a block. And I loved watching him play in a way that looked like he really, really loves playing.

** It wouldn’t surprise me if Mo finds his way to an NBA floor for a moment or two a few years in the future. I hope so. It would be a great story.

** Another memory from this year were those times when Big John made post scoring look pretty light and easy for such a big man. This certainly wasn’t always. But for his first full year, John did just fine. And he proved that his shoulders were pretty broad for the load he frequently had to carry.

** For a good part of this season, Onyebuchi Ezeakudo was a great story too. He always played so hard, and his contributions were real, not just for a former walk-on. Eventually and unfortunately however, he became all too clear of a symbol of how little talent this team has.

** But that was about it. The rest of our stories seemed like nothing more than the same old story – a story that’s become so sad.

** Sure, last year’s the story went a little differently. It featured some decent talent who achieved a little success to be spoiled along the way by internal strife.

** But this year’s story was not one bit different than what Head Coach Jeff Capel said in his final news conference – we need to get better talent.

** I’ll even go as far as to say that for short spurts in this year, it looked as if Coach was actually getting the most out of his talent. There were games where we did play to the sum of our parts. But when that sum is the combination of some numbers as low as ours, that’s sort of faint praise, isn’t it? And as the season went on, in the final weeks, our men couldn’t even sustain that below mediocre level. They either tired out or stopped caring and whatever buy-in the players once showed seemed to be sold. Whatever the reason, what difference does it make?

** I’ll be brutally honest about the talent. We will return just 6 guys who appear to even have the ability to play at the ACC level. And this includes Nike who didn’t even play this year and even Noah Collier who seem capable enough to hold down a single digit minute role as a backup of the five spot.

** Only John Hugley starts for a majority of ACC teams. Nike, Femi Ithiel and Jamarius don’t. That is a team woefully short on talent. It was a team that finished #158 according to Sagarin and #208 according to Pomeroy.

** Most would say that we liked the hire of Jeff Capel four years ago because he thought would remarkably improve our talent that led to an 0-18 ACC record and a #227 Pomeroy ranking in 2018.

** In short, Capel has failed at the one, most important reason we brought him to Pitt. He has failed to bring in enough talent. And four years after he arrived, he's right about back were he started from. And there no reason to believe this will change.

** As a fan, I wish I could think of one legitimate, reasonable thought that would justify Capel staying for another year, but I cannot.

** Of course, Heather Lyke may not be able to make a move for financial reasons, and while I understand this, to some degree, she almost has to held accountable in way for extending his contract without any real demonstrated success from Capel, putting herself in the situation she is now.

** I’ll close with two personal stories about our last two games. Last Friday night, I was planning my Saturday chores and errands, and I actually forgot about the Pitt game. I forgot. I woke up and somehow remembered and had to change my plans to fit in TV time. And halfway through the second half, I returned to my preplanned chores, because they were much less of a chore than watching to the end.

** And yesterday I didn’t even watch the ACC Tournament game. Since I entered College in 1984, I can’t recall ever not watching a conference tournament game, and I would take days off or make other arrangements to do so. I just didn’t bother yesterday. I just followed along on my phone for a while.

** I will always be proud to be a Pitt Basketball fan of the highest magnitude. But this year, maybe more than any year in the past, I felt that slipping. And that’s a problem, because I can only imagine how it must feel for someone who does not take this as seriously as I do.

** Therefore, something better happen soon. Either we get a new leader, or the current leader must finally show he can start getting better guys. Because where things stand now is sad.
Wow this post is so telling. I don't even recognize you considering you now aren't even watching tournament games or forgetting about games. Sad. Very sad.

Reactions: TWPitt and gary2
** I’ve been thinking about what to write to end this season and thoughts just aren’t coming very easy. Really, what is there to say?

** It’s sad what has happened to Pitt basketball. It’s equally sad that Pitt Basketball seems so incredible far from getting significantly better. And for me, it’s incredibly sad that my favorite thing, something that has given me a great amount of joy since 1980, basically has provided little, if none at all, over the last six years.

** Most would say that we liked the hire of Jeff Capel four years ago because he thought would remarkably improve our talent that led to an 0-18 ACC record and a #227 Pomeroy ranking in 2018.

** In short, Capel has failed at the one, most important reason we brought him to Pitt. He has failed to bring in enough talent. And four years after he arrived, he's right about back were he started from. And there no reason to believe this will change.

The 4 most talented players HCJC recruited his first 2 years all left. That tells me a couple of things:
* character, attitude and desire to play together on a winning team are qualities that HAVE to be considered when looking to assemble a team
* rosters in CBB today can be very volatile and are becoming more of a year-to-year proposition

Capel threw that first group together in a hurry. He got three guys who can play some: just not together on the same team. He failed to take personalities into consideration and that still haunts him. Then adding Champ looked good. Until he left. Then it didn’t Because it created a gaping hole Pitt hasn’t been able to fill.

Whoever is the HC next year - IMO it’s still likely going to be Capel (for reasons I don’t necessarily endorse or support) - REALLY has to recognize and understand that. Individual parts that can’t fit or be assembled into a functional unit results in the kind of dysfunction and haphazard looking stuff we’ve seen.

But of course, Pitt can‘t/won’t win with deficient talent and skill, either. Like mentioned in the “Dribbles” above, there is VERY limited P6 level talent here right now, even if everyone Pitt wants to return does return. In particular the talent at G/wing appears to this fan to be woeful. And more than ever CBB is G-oriented game. Ball handling, passing and outside shooting are extremely lacking.

Pitt doesnt have the luxury right now for a slow, gradual rebuild. 6 years of lousy performance has led to a situation where Pitt needs to catch some lightning in a bottle. That means getting some ready-made players for next season. It’s going to take a 💩load of a combination of luck, savvy and then some good breaks to even have a slight chance to be competent next season. The first step is to clarify the HC and staff situation ASAP. Then somehow acquire the SEVERAL players needed to try to do it. The odds will be very long. 😏

I'm no longer sad. I feel indifferent. I'm sad about feeling indifferent, though.

I will say that, while this team is woefully undermanned, I have seen nothing over the course of the past 4 years that leads me to believe that Capel can hold his own as a head coach. So, IMO, it isn't just the lack of talent, although that's certainly the most glaring and obvious issue.

This was a promising looking hire on paper at the time it was made, but that's where it ends. This emperor has no clothes.

Apathy is the worse thing a fanbase can have and that's where we are right now and as you said it's sad.

A team of X, Trey, Toney, Justin and Hugley wins this weak ACC this year.

Duke would have been the only competion and we beat North Carolina with the team we had and they beat Duke.

Yes, we do need better players but that type of comment should never be made public.

We have to somehow find a true point guard to lead this team. Even as bad as this year team performed a player like James Robinson would have helped tremendously. Stop trying to convert wing players to point guards.

I used to really be pumped up this time of the year for March Maddness but our dismal performances the last 6 years has even diminished that.

Good post. Worth waiting for.

I still care. (Maybe too much).

We can either try to start to get better now or put it off for a year.

I am in the act now camp. Money can not be a reason to prolong this situation.

The word that came to mind when the final buzzer went off yesterday was relief. The team that was on the floor yesterday was the same team that was on the floor all year. We knew early on that it wasn’t good enough. So it was hard to look forward to watching a game you knew might be hard to watch. But even worse was having to come on the lair and hear the same bitching about the same things by the same posters after every painful loss. It will be a long 7 months till practice starts up again. What happens in these 7 months is a great unknown right now. But I will not spend 24-7 worrying about it, that’s for sure.

Reactions: jctrack

The grossest thing to me is that if you ask our head coach, maybe injected him with some truth serum, he would undoubtedly say the highlight of his tenure at Pitt so far was the pregame ceremony against Duke this year. I’ve certainly never heard him speak so glowingly about his own team.

I know this, whether Capel is gone now, or in 30 games (and those are the only two options) I want the next guy to really care about Pitt basketball. Because our current coach, and the one before him, really don’t seem like they do. They are here for money, or maybe as a stepping stone to Duke, or as a life raft after almost being canned by Vandy…but someone should care about this team. We all do. Is that asking too much?

Thanks for providing some more rationale thoughts during this sad situation.

I had been on the fence about weather JC should be let go or brought back. Wanted to let the season play out. My own opinion is that he should be let go now, (if affordability is doable).

My opinion was sealed during the break in action yesterday when the refs were sorting out the Femi techs. The camera angle was such that both benches were plainly visible during the entire time. The BC coach had his players in front of him and was coaching while the Pitt players were standing out on the floor by themselves and JC just stood there on the sidelines with his arms crossed. He made no attempt to utilize the "free" timeout to coach or instruct and there was still 18 minutes left in the game and this stoppage lasted a good few minutes. This may seem like an insignificant thing but to me it speaks volumes that this coaching staff doesn't care anymore.

My only hope now is that any players that are going to transfer announce it soon because I still don't think HL is going to let him go unless there is a mass exodus.

Thanks, as always, DT. A Pitt game never feels complete without your Dribbles. And when they didn't appear last night or this morning, knowing how invested you are in this team, we were concerned you might have done something rash. Was just about to call the cops to do a wellness check. Have a good off-season. I'm sure it will be better than Capel's and Lyke's.

Apathy is the worse thing a fanbase can have and that's where we are right now and as you said it's sad.

A team of X, Trey, Toney, Justin and Hugley wins this weak ACC this year.

Duke would have been the only competion and we beat North Carolina with the team we had and they beat Duke.

Yes, we do need better players but that type of comment should never be made public.

We have to somehow find a true point guard to lead this team. Even as bad as this year team performed a player like James Robinson would have helped tremendously. Stop trying to convert wing players to point guards.

I used to really be pumped up this time of the year for March Maddness but our dismal performances the last 6 years has even diminished that.
You forgot Marcus Carr, Parker Stewart and Terrell Brown coming off the bench. Just as realistic, so why not? That's a top 10 team!

Reactions: FordhamIII
Thanks for one more dribble. I can't even say this season was a bummer because we all expected.....whatever that was

DT's remarks here should be studied by the athletic department. You're not going to find a more invested Pitt basketball diehard than DT and he can't even be bothered to watch an ACC tournament game. This situation is desperate.

I recorded the game and eventually forced myself to endure the whole thing, finishing it this afternoon. Like someone earlier in this thread, I work from home but didn't bother to watch the game live.

It may be determined that the Capel buyout is too steep a financial cost to take at this time, but man, you are making it really easy for people to disengage with this program if you bring Capel back next year.

You forgot Marcus Carr, Parker Stewart and Terrell Brown coming off the bench. Just as realistic, so why not? That's a top 10 team!
With the Portal, player retention for an entire roster for a period of 3 or 4 years - even for REALLY GOOD programs - has become very tenuous.

With poor records and HC turnover, it’s virtually impossible. There is also going to be some major turnover on the current roster going into next season. That’s whether Pitt has the same HC or a new one. Some of the departures will be instigated by the player(s) and some of it will be encouraged by Pitt.

The team needs a big time overhaul in an attempt to get the talent level and quality depth to be competitive.

Here’s 1 statistical area as an example: Pitt was outscored on 3 point FG’s 769-675 for the season. That’s a 282 point deficit just from 3’s. WAY too much. Need some shooters!

Here’s another revealing stat: Pitt committed 435 turnovers. The opposition committed 340. Differential of -95. Need better ball-handlers!

Just 2 areas where there are stark deficiencies at a quick glance.

DT's remarks here should be studied by the athletic department. You're not going to find a more invested Pitt basketball diehard than DT and he can't even be bothered to watch an ACC tournament game. This situation is desperate.

I recorded the game and eventually forced myself to endure the whole thing, finishing it this afternoon. Like someone earlier in this thread, I work from home but didn't bother to watch the game live.

It may be determined that the Capel buyout is too steep a financial cost to take at this time, but man, you are making it really easy for people to disengage with this program if you bring Capel back next year.

I recorded it. Not sure if I will watch it.

I recorded it. Not sure if I will watch it.
If you do, the first 16 minutes were at least competitive and there appeared to be effort from Pitt.

But when Hugley picked up his 2nd PF and went to the bench for the remainder of the 1H, the team folded. Score was 24-22 BC at that point.

There was a palpable sag in Pitt’s play and their demeanor after that. For me, anyway, that becomes VERY tough to understand. Inexcusable. Unacceptable.

No reason for that to happen EVER. The whole 2H was a 💩show, to put it mildly.

Good post. Worth waiting for.

I still care. (Maybe too much).

We can either try to start to get better now or put it off for a year.

I am in the act now camp. Money can not be a reason to prolong this situation.
It's not my money. Fire his ass yesterday.

But if I'm his boss and I'm responsible for a budget, I'm looking at it differently.

Reactions: Pittguy93
But when Hugley picked up his 2nd PF and went to the bench for the remainder of the 1H, the team folded. Score was 24-22 BC at that point.

We were ahead 22-21 right before that foul. We were outscored 12-0 the rest of the half, and then 13-3 over the first six minutes of the second half. 25-3, with all three of those points on foul shots, over nearly 11 minutes of basketball.

• Wow
Reactions: jctrack
And it still doesn't beat Duke for the championship. Let's face it--we'd have one G-leaguer and a bunch of pikers coached by a lightweight going against several future lottery picks playing for the first ballot HOF GOAT coach and a team that wouldn't have given any of them a scholarship offer.

I didn't bother to go home to watch it, and I didn't even bother to record it.

I did listen to the game on the Pitt app, which worked about as well as the Pitt team did. It flaked out every few minutes and stopped working, sometimes with the app just crashing. Seemed like a fitting way to end this season.

We were ahead 22-21 right before that foul. We were outscored 12-0 the rest of the half, and then 13-3 over the first six minutes of the second half. 25-3, with all three of those points on foul shots, over nearly 11 minutes of basketball.
It was 24-22 BC when JH picked up PF #2 with 4:14 left in the 1H. Sad thing is he was ready to go up for a put back off a missed 3 by MG to tie it when he lowered his shoulder and knocked the defender over. Pitt’s last lead at 22-21 was on a Gueye jumper at 4:52.

But regardless, down 2 or up 1, there was no reason for them to fold up like they dId. The offense disappeared. We’ve seen that too often before. But they looked like they were just going through the motions at times on D. Went out with a whimper. Hard to watch.

Reactions: Pav9870 and gary2

I still cannot believe Capel wouldn't play Hugley with 2 fouls. The thing is, he's done that a good bit this year and has said that in pressers that he isnt against the idea of that. Didn't the game flow dictate that you couldn't take him out or come back with him?

It was 24-22 BC when JH picked up PF #2 with 4:14 left in the 1H. Sad thing is he was ready to go up for a put back off a missed 3 by MG to tie it when he lowered his shoulder and knocked the defender over. Pitt’s last lead at 22-21 was on a Gueye jumper at 4:52.

Yeah, like I said, about 40-ish seconds before Hugley's foul we were ahead 22-21.

DT, can't say I disagree with anything you said. This Pitt basketball program has turned into a very poor excuse for a P6 college basketball program. Very poor.

Next year, if Capel is still here, it will be on his head to turn this completely around. My definition of completely around is to get to 20 wins, make the NIT minimum, and get some top, very high level guys in the portal. I know he'll never be able to salvage a top recruiting class for this coming year, so we can't expect that now. And he needs to gut his staff and bring in some assistants that can recruit and coach.

I'm pretty sure he won't be able to even do one of those things by next year. So for all intents and purposes, he's toast.

Reactions: TWPitt
I was at the game yesterday (5$ GA tickets for 3 games is hard to ignore). During the technical review, when the ref came up to Capel and was talking to him, I said to my son, "Must be techs on both players because of his reaction". He had no reaction so I figured it was going both ways. Watching all 3 games, all of the coaches bur ours seemed to be engaged..Capel seemed to just be there. He did some coaching but compared to the other teams (and granted this was not exactly coaching excellence all day), Pitt just did not seem to want to be there. To me that's on coaching. Even when GT was getting smashed in the first half of their game, Pastner was coaching non-stop. Capel.... I just hope they can get the buyout down to something reasonable. This can't go on anymore.

** I’ve been thinking about what to write to end this season and thoughts just aren’t coming very easily. Really, what is there to say?

** Most would say that we liked the hire of Jeff Capel four years ago because he thought would remarkably improve our talent from a program that had just finished with an 0-18 ACC record and a #227 Pomeroy ranking in 2018.

** In short, Capel has failed at the one, most important reason we brought him to Pitt. He has failed to bring in enough talent. Four years after he arrived, he's right about back were he started from. And there no reason to believe this will change.

Same for me. Did not watch yesterday and have not missed one prior to this.

I was certainly willing to give JC the benefit of the doubt with the bad eggs on the team last season. I was certainly disappointed when we lost out on kids that he swung for the fences to obtain but at least we were trying. You knew this would be a tough year but if he could take these kids who all bought in, we were told then maybe we would see improvement throughout the season and hope would be there for coming years. But the kids played and he coached like a team that just wanted to destroy any bright light that came out during the year. For the first time ever if they lost I was not unhappy because it meant we were closer to the decision to terminate him

The post game if yesterdays debacle was all I could take. He simply has to go regardless of what the buyout is.

This is an awesome time of year and I simply want to get back to where we put on a decent show in the conference tourney.

Reactions: gary2
ADVERTISEMENT