ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Sleeper Players for 2024

Iron99

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2009
Saw this today and thought I would share. Hopefully the change in scheme and a lot more PT combine for the breakout we need at DE.

Nate Matlack, DE, Pittsburgh Panthers

i

Class: Senior

Height/weight: 6-foot-5, 250 pounds

2023 stats (Kansas State): 12 games as a reserve, 15 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 blocked kick

ESPN recruiting snapshot: Three stars, No. 55 defensive end, No. 5 in Kansas (signed with Kansas State)

Pitt is looking for more pass-rushing prowess and thinks it found it with Matlack, who showed effectiveness in spurts during his career at Kansas State. He had 9.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss despite not being a regular starter for the Wildcats. The transfers of Dayon Hayes and Samuel Okunlola to Colorado, and linebacker Shayne Simon moving on to the NFL, will free up opportunities for Matlack on the edge.

Coach's take: "He's a great athlete, he fits our scheme, fits our 4-3," coach Pat Narduzzi told ESPN. "He was playing in a 3-4 [at Kansas State]. We loved his tape and he's been all that, watching him. Maybe some people didn't want him, but I'm fired up that we got that guy."

Reactions: jlazinger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.