ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN top 10 and top 50 Women’s footballers in the World

I liked that list because it wasn’t over populated with U.S. players.

Macario is going to be a great player (though she will be on the shelf with an ACL for the next year) but that ranking seems a bit rich at this point.

I was looking at that yesterday and it is an odd list. For some players (last year's number one Sam Mewis for instance) getting hurt and missing a lot of time caused them to drop way down on the list. For other players getting hurt and missing a lot of time not only didn't cause them to drop, they actually went up. I have no problem with dinging players who were hurt most of the year, and I have no problem with saying that you aren't going to weigh injuries very much and are going to look at how the players are when they aren't injured, but I'm not sure I understand the rational behind knocking some players down for injuries while not doing it for others.

I was looking at that yesterday and it is an odd list. For some players (last year's number one Sam Mewis for instance) getting hurt and missing a lot of time caused them to drop way down on the list. For other players getting hurt and missing a lot of time not only didn't cause them to drop, they actually went up. I have no problem with dinging players who were hurt most of the year, and I have no problem with saying that you aren't going to weigh injuries very much and are going to look at how the players are when they aren't injured, but I'm not sure I understand the rational behind knocking some players down for injuries while not doing it for others.
Bias? These lists are silly. But I think what it does show is that most of the best players are in Europe. But for the US being bigger than Europe, and having the structure they do, I am surprised not to see more American representation on the list. But it was published out of the UK.

Bias? These lists are silly. But I think what it does show is that most of the best players are in Europe. But for the US being bigger than Europe, and having the structure they do, I am surprised not to see more American representation on the list. But it was published out of the UK.

Well you are looking at it on the ESPN UK site, but it is also on the ESPN American site as well. I don't recognize the names of everyone who had a vote, but at least half of them are either Americans or currently working in the US. But apparently for last year's list the voters were even more American-centric, which is part of what led to more Europeans and less Americans this year.

ADVERTISEMENT