ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
What really are our chances?

I think this is big get. Previous coaches wouldnt have had a chance, and I think he would work well in Capel's system, but anyone really have an idea? You would think he wouldnt be one that can or needs to be bought, so it would be on the merits of the actual team/university/coaching staff. We seem strong in the latter two.

What really are our chances?

I think this is big get. Previous coaches wouldnt have had a chance, and I think he would work well in Capel's system, but anyone really have an idea? You would think he wouldnt be one that can or needs to be bought, so it would be on the merits of the actual team/university/coaching staff. We seem strong in the latter two.

We havent landed a local player that like programs have wanted since Sean Miller. So, not good. We got Blair to sign before he blew up if you want to count that

We havent landed a local player that like programs have wanted since Sean Miller. So, not good. We got Blair to sign before he blew up if you want to count that

I totally agree, that is why I asked. Should we even get excited? I think he is the biggest recruit in a long time around here.

Last edited:
A lot of schools were recruiting Blair. We even fended off Bruce P$arl.

Not really. He wasnt a big-time recruit before he committed. I remember having to defend this 6'6 center with bad knees on this very message board. Many posters thought he was a reach. I said he reminded me of Danny Fortson. He had a big summer and great senior season.

Not really. He wasnt a big-time recruit before he committed. I remember having to defend this 6'6 center with bad knees on this very message board. Many posters thought he was a reach. I said he reminded me of Danny Fortson. He had a big summer and great senior season.
Yes he was. He blew up over the summer before his Sr year when he was putting up like 30 and 20 in AAU games. Specifically remember Wake Forest and another ACC team originally were the leaders.

A lot of schools were recruiting Blair. We even fended off Bruce P$arl.

No. Blair was a major get — he was hardly a reach when he committed and had an excellent junior season. I agree we have not done well recruiting locally- but Blair is not an example of this.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Reactions: below0w
Lol. Blair was 6'8" as a freshmen and shrunk to what, 6-5? At least that's what was written. Actually seeing him in HS you knew that wasn't the case. But I like the Virginia guard who keeps growing an inch every day.

Reactions: Drew1208
Blair was possibly gonna go elsewhere until Dixon went to a family party, and talked with his Grandma.

Yeah, the biggest obstacle to Blair landing at Pitt was geographical, a lot of people were pushing him to get out of Pittsburgh for his own good (personal welfare, not related to our basketball program). Enter Jamie with his perfect success rate at closing with grandmas and things changed.

He dropped over 50 on PR last night. I wouldn’t mind at least seeing Pitt in the conversation.
I disagree it's time to start landing players. We've been in the conversation with how many players now with it not going our way. Enough with the hey we made this players top 5 I don't care anymore unless we land them

Man I'd love to be a hometown hero, and be responsible to help rebuild my hometowns sports team.
Let me talk to this kid, I'll give him two shots of Jaeger and he'll be signing up in an hour, just to get me to shut up.

Put me down in the extremely doubtful camp as well.
I'd be shocked

When I think of 2020 recruiting, Morton doesnt even enter my mind. I would feel better about him if he were from Maryland or Ohio. I just cant imagine a local kid we want staying home. It just doesnt happen. Even Zeke Marshall and Tom Droney went to mid-majors rather than going to Pitt.

He wasnt Top 150 when he verballed and many on this board were angry we'd take a "chance" on him.

I wasn't here when he verballed, so I can't speak to how people might have reacted, but you are completely wrong about how Blair was evaluated at the time. Everyone knew those Schenley kids were good and Blair was the cream of the crop. I remember it like it was yesterday, but this took me 5 seconds of googling to find:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/blair-makes-the-call-1

Blair, the No. 127 ranked player in the class of 2007, decided to put an end to his recruitment earlier today.

How many superb local players have there even been?

Not many and the list is even smaller if you exclude the guys who were academically ineligible. Kane and Kennedy, Blair's teammates at Schenley, were obvious takes if not for non-basketball issues standing in the way. Herb Pope had academic issues as well (along with a host of bigger problems) if memory serves.

Ah the memories. I love when Calhoun said if Blair is smart he'll stay around for another couple of years and then have a nice career as a pro. Too bad he didn't stay.

Ethan's family wants him to attend a Big 10 school.

PSU fans? The BIG in general has no significant academic advantage over Pitt or other ACC schools unless you are going to major in some exotic field that no one else offers. As far as hoops go the BIG offers no advantage over the ACC either in fan interest or in ability to get to the NBA.

But to each his own and I fully understand some kids desire to get away from home as much as other kids desire to be close to home for family to watch. Best of luck to him wherever he chooses to go.

The best way for Pitt to recruit players like this is to show them that if they come to Pitt they will be WINNERS !

From his highlights he seems to primarily shoot 3s...of which he made all of them. Not excited about someone who's highlight video consists of him making 20 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT