ADVERTISEMENT

Euro season begins: ABC and NBC football on Saturday

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Gio Reyna and his Dortmund team are on ABC at 12:30, while Pulisic (who won’t be starting I’m sure) and his Chelsea team are also on at 12:30. American sports viewing has really changed. You don’t have to search hard for soccer anymore.

I’m still not sure why CP hasn’t submitted a transfer request

I’m still not sure why CP hasn’t submitted a transfer request
Yeah it’s hard to say. Sterling is going to play on the left, so that’s a problem for Christian. But if it were me, I’d play Sterling centrally and put Christian on the left.

but he’s gonna have this problem on any top team. It’s just the way it is unless he wants to go down a notch and play for a club who fields their team 1 through 11 instead of the top clubs that field their teams 1 through 25 with world class depth. He said he wants to stay and fight because that’s the nature of the job at a place like chelsea.

furthermore, there are 5 subs per game now, and it’s a World Cup year. Because of the World Cup, the clubs will need all of their depth. So he will get his chances. He just has to produce. The only one who seems to have carte Blanche is Kai Havertz. Dude isn’t a #9, doesn’t score enough, and doesn’t get yanked from the lineup.

You don’t have to search hard for soccer anymore.

And yet if you want to watch the early PL game on Saturday you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch one of the 10:00 Saturday games you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch one of the two 9:00 games on Sunday you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch the 11:30 game on Sunday you have to have the streaming service.

The first weekend of the season, when you would think that they would have wall to wall coverage on the "regular" channels to try to get people hyped up for the new season, and there are nine games on Saturday and Sunday and only one of them is available to people who don't pay for their streaming service.

Dumb.

Yeah it’s hard to say. Sterling is going to play on the left, so that’s a problem for Christian. But if it were me, I’d play Sterling centrally and put Christian on the left.

but he’s gonna have this problem on any top team. It’s just the way it is unless he wants to go down a notch and play for a club who fields their team 1 through 11 instead of the top clubs that field their teams 1 through 25 with world class depth. He said he wants to stay and fight because that’s the nature of the job at a place like chelsea.

furthermore, there are 5 subs per game now, and it’s a World Cup year. Because of the World Cup, the clubs will need all of their depth. So he will get his chances. He just has to produce. The only one who seems to have carte Blanche is Kai Havertz. Dude isn’t a #9, doesn’t score enough, and doesn’t get yanked from the lineup.
Pulisic isnt good enough to play week in and week out at a super club. That was always my fear. A place like Dortmund is perfect for him.

And yet if you want to watch the early PL game on Saturday you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch one of the 10:00 Saturday games you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch one of the two 9:00 games on Sunday you have to have the streaming service. And if you want to watch the 11:30 game on Sunday you have to have the streaming service.

The first weekend of the season, when you would think that they would have wall to wall coverage on the "regular" channels to try to get people hyped up for the new season, and there are nine games on Saturday and Sunday and only one of them is available to people who don't pay for their streaming service.

Dumb.
That’s a real regression huh? Nothing was better than NBCSN’s coverage of the Prem for the past several years. I seemingly had wall to wall access to any match worth watching. I could wake up in the morning and watch a couple matches before my day started. And I assume NBC helped make the Prem rich. It will be interesting to see how this impacts viewership. I have peacock so I’m fine. I just don’t like that you can’t pause and rewind live events.

That’s a real regression huh? Nothing was better than NBCSN’s coverage of the Prem for the past several years. I seemingly had wall to wall access to any match worth watching. I could wake up in the morning and watch a couple matches before my day started. And I assume NBC helped make the Prem rich. It will be interesting to see how this impacts viewership. I have peacock so I’m fine. I just don’t like that you can’t pause and rewind live events.

My guess is that it actually gets better after the first week. The women's British Open is this weekend and that is on USA. But it's not like NBC doesn't own other channels, and not only that but other channels that they have shown games on before.

I just think they are missing out on a great opportunity this weekend.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Pulisic isnt good enough to play week in and week out at a super club. That was always my fear. A place like Dortmund is perfect for him.
He was the number #1 reason why Chelsea won the UCL, because he was the player who put Chelsea on his back to qualify the year before. He was their best attacker and a handful for every premier league opponent. Going back and watching those games, which I have this summer, I saw a different player. And that FA Cup final vs Arsenal at the end of that year he was as usual the best player on the field like he was in so many of the other games. He scored the first goal and was too much for arsenal to handle. Then he exploded past the arsenal defenders on his way to his 2nd goal to ice the match and win the FA Cup, and he blew out his hammy. Chelsea then lost the lead, lost the trophy without him, and Pulisic hasn’t been the same since. He doesn’t have the same explosiveness. Combine that with how tuchel uses him, and he’s just another player and a tweener positionally.

this comes from me who hasn’t missed one of his matches or one minute of his play since he’s come to Chelsea.

Reactions: 121rum
My guess is that it actually gets better after the first week. The women's British Open is this weekend and that is on USA. But it's not like NBC doesn't own other channels, and not only that but other channels that they have shown games on before.

I just think they are missing out on a great opportunity this weekend.
I keep hearing that we have to tune in this weekend starting tomorrow because they have big things in store. I know Peter Drury is doing tomorrows arsenal match, then he’s doing Chelsea/Everton Saturday, and then maybe City or United on Sunday.

Anyone want to make predictions? This might be a year City doesn’t win it. I’m thinking Liverpool. Or City might go undefeated. Lol. It’s going to be so interesting because of all the player movement, what Spurs and Arsenal have done to strengthen their teams, and the World Cup will mess up someone’s season.

szerzpitt—what a way to get welcomed back to the Prem, huh? Liverpool vs Fulham Saturday AM at 7:30? I’ll be watching Jedi!!

Anyone want to make predictions? This might be a year City doesn’t win it. I’m thinking Liverpool. Or City might go undefeated. Lol. It’s going to be so interesting because of all the player movement, what Spurs and Arsenal have done to strengthen their teams, and the World Cup will mess up someone’s season.

szerzpitt—what a way to get welcomed back to the Prem, huh? Liverpool vs Fulham Saturday AM at 7:30? I’ll be watching Jedi!!
i'm picking Arsenal and Spurs to really push City and Liverpool. Both have added some quality.

In the relegation game, I look for goal differential as one of the most important stats. Games like Saturday morning have me hoping for a park the bus game plan with a counter when possible. 1 point would be miraculous but a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat won't be the end of the world.

Top 8

City
Liver
Tots
Arsenal
Chelsea
Hammers
Man U
Newcastle
If Man U Continues to be out of the top 5. Something is seriously wrong with that club. The top 5 should never really change much, it should always include MC, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, and than the others like Tot and Arsenal fighting it out to get in there. Hopefully this new hire gets Man U back to competing for a chance at the top. Other teams seem to be building solid squads and making major leaps. It will be very hard for any team to overtake MC or Liverpool.

If Man U Continues to be out of the top 5. Something is seriously wrong with that club. The top 5 should never really change much, it should always include MC, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, and than the others like Tot and Arsenal fighting it out to get in there. Hopefully this new hire gets Man U back to competing for a chance at the top. Other teams seem to be building solid squads and making major leaps. It will be very hard for any team to overtake MC or Liverpool.
I personally hope Man U don't even make Europa Conference League. They aren't entitled to crap just because they're a financially massive club. Since Sir Alex retired, they have been garbage and it's been a pleasure to watch. Man U fans are as delusional as Penn State and Notre Dame fans.

What we are finding out with Man U is how important it is to be be playing Champions League football with player recruitment. They have been striking out on so many transfer targets because no one wants to go there right now. It makes me think about Chelsea a few years ago when they finished like 9th or 10th in the table. Antonio Conte took a Chelsea team that wasn’t playing in Europe the next year and he won the EPL. That’s what needs to happen at United. Ten Hag has to do everything right with the squad he has so that he can recruit players next year who want to play there.

it used to be that South American, Spanish and Portuguese players would be snagged up easily by Barca or Madrid. That’s the dream of all those players is to play there. And United would get anyone they wanted everywhere else in the world. And under Sir Alex they even got the players whose dream was to play in Spain. But now no one wants to play for united.

Top 8

City
Liver
Tots
Arsenal
Chelsea
Hammers
Man U
Newcastle
Oh man. Ok…

for me it’s tough because Haaland is the wild card. If he can be every bit as dominant in a possession system under Pep, they could go undefeated. But it could also go the other way too. And if Barca gets Bernardo Silva, it can be even more challenging. Therefore to be provocative, I’ll go:

Liverpool
City
spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
New Castle

and for relegation, I’ll go :
Everton
Bournemouth
Fulham

I think only 6 teams have spent every season in the Prem and have never been relegated. Everton is one of those 6. But this year they go down the first time ever. Poor Super Frank will be gone by December.

He was the number #1 reason why Chelsea won the UCL, because he was the player who put Chelsea on his back to qualify the year before. He was their best attacker and a handful for every premier league opponent. Going back and watching those games, which I have this summer, I saw a different player. And that FA Cup final vs Arsenal at the end of that year he was as usual the best player on the field like he was in so many of the other games. He scored the first goal and was too much for arsenal to handle. Then he exploded past the arsenal defenders on his way to his 2nd goal to ice the match and win the FA Cup, and he blew out his hammy. Chelsea then lost the lead, lost the trophy without him, and Pulisic hasn’t been the same since. He doesn’t have the same explosiveness. Combine that with how tuchel uses him, and he’s just another player and a tweener positionally.

this comes from me who hasn’t missed one of his matches or one minute of his play since he’s come to Chelsea.
I think his fall off is two things, he's changed his play style drastically to avoid injuries and he doesn't fit into Tuchel's system. I'm not sure any forward player does tbf. Also Chelsea were really dumb to let Abraham and Giroud go, those guys are much better 9's then anything they've had since.

I can't wait to see how Leeds do. I really think Adams and Aaronson playstyles will fit the PL well.

I could wake up in the morning and watch a couple matches before my day started.
I mean besides the fact that I have no ability to attach myself to a team in a European city (besides Olympiacos) this is another thing I don't like, for whatever reason, I can't get into watching a sports event early in the morning. I mean to me noon is the worst start time for college, and 1pm the worst for NFL, I like later in the day, that's another reason I have a hard time following Euro soccer. On these weekends when EPL is on in the morning, I might watch a little here and there, but the combination of not caring about any of the teams and the early game times is hard for me to overcome :) If they broadcast Olympiacos games though I'd DVR them and watch them in the evening.

I think his fall off is two things, he's changed his play style drastically to avoid injuries and he doesn't fit into Tuchel's system. I'm not sure any forward player does tbf. Also Chelsea were really dumb to let Abraham and Giroud go, those guys are much better 9's then anything they've had since.
If one goes back and watches some of those games I mentioned above when Christian wore the #22 jersey, his chemistry with Giroud in the Chelsea front 3 was exquisite. So what does tuchel do? Sells Giroud and switches tactics that limit CP as a player. And all Giroud does is win and score goals everywhere he goes.

I mean besides the fact that I have no ability to attach myself to a team in a European city (besides Olympiacos) this is another thing I don't like, for whatever reason, I can't get into watching a sports event early in the morning. I mean to me noon is the worst start time for college, and 1pm the worst for NFL, I like later in the day, that's another reason I have a hard time following Euro soccer. On these weekends when EPL is on in the morning, I might watch a little here and there, but the combination of not caring about any of the teams and the early game times is hard for me to overcome :) If they broadcast Olympiacos games though I'd DVR them and watch them in the evening.
There’s nothing better than AM games for me. I used to like west coast 10 am nfl when I was in California. What do you do at 7am? If that’s your most productive time of the day to get stuff done, then I get it. But if you’re sitting around reading the paper or whatever, there’s nothing better than putting a game on. Then I have the entire day to do whatever I want.

If one goes back and watches some of those games I mentioned above when Christian wore the #22 jersey, his chemistry with Giroud in the Chelsea front 3 was exquisite. So what does tuchel do? Sells Giroud and switches tactics that limit CP as a player. And all Giroud does is win and score goals everywhere he goes.
Continuing my rant, Chelsea also next to no creativity/chance creation from the midfield and really limits scoring opportunities. They have to rely on Chilwell and James for scoring chances and it really hinders the forward players.

I personally hope Man U don't even make Europa Conference League. They aren't entitled to crap just because they're a financially massive club. Since Sir Alex retired, they have been garbage and it's been a pleasure to watch. Man U fans are as delusional as Penn State and Notre Dame fans.
Yes and you know who else are like Nitters? Barcelona fans. Mike 412 is going to be mad at me for saying that, but I say that while also acknowledging that I don’t like Chelsea fans either lol. With Barcelona fans, every player that they lose and chooses to play somewhere else only did so because he wasn’t Barcelona material or Barcelona wasn’t really interested. And every player that they get it’s because they are the best club in the world and the player didn’t choose your club because your club is a 2nd rate small time club. They don’t consider that there are nuances and reasons why players like Kounde decided to go there. While a player like Raphinha did go there because it was his dream, as many Brazilians do, to play for Barcelona.

Continuing my rant, Chelsea also next to no creativity/chance creation from the midfield and really limits scoring opportunities. They have to rely on Chilwell and James for scoring chances and it really hinders the forward players.
Man. You and I need to grab a drink and catch a game. I couldn’t agree more. A change in tactics is what’s needed. Sadly they tried it in Orlando vs Arsenal and got smashed 4-0.

There’s nothing better than AM games for me. I used to like west coast 10 am nfl when I was in California. What do you do at 7am? If that’s your most productive time of the day to get stuff done, then I get it. But if you’re sitting around reading the paper or whatever, there’s nothing better than putting a game on. Then I have the entire day to do whatever I want.
If there's no work, I'm usually still sleeping, I've never been a morning person. I wake up around 9 if I don't need to do something specific.

Gio Reyna and his Dortmund team are on ABC at 12:30...
And the German League, I watched a couple times when Pulisic played, but as a league IT SUCKS, I don't care about SUPERIOR QUALITY OF PLAY if it's such a league where the same team wins 10 years straight and 28 of 52. What is interesting about following that league? the college football playoff is more wide open than the Bundesliga.

And the German League, I watched a couple times when Pulisic played, but as a league IT SUCKS, I don't care about SUPERIOR QUALITY OF PLAY if it's such a league where the same team wins 10 years straight and 28 of 52. What is interesting about following that league? the college football playoff is more wide open than the Bundesliga.
It’s not interesting at all to me, plus you have the language barrier. I’ll watch Bayern vs Dortmund but mostly that’s all. I’ll check out Gio though.

by the way, now that Lewandowski is at Barca and no longer in Germany, can we start calling him Lou-andowsky, instead of calling him Lev-andowski???? He’s polish after all and not German!

Reactions: Pitt79
In America, 60s UCLA, the 60s Celtics, the 50s Yankees are about the only examples of sports teams I can think of with that kind of dominance, I'm glad they've done things like salary caps and drafts to shield us from this kind of boredom.

EPL is pretty top heavy too, but at least there's maybe 4-5 teams with a realistic shot and nobody is winning 10 straight. La Liga is a two team race, so that's pretty predictable too and I think France is PSG all the time isn't it?

Greece is lower tier, but Oly has like 44 titles since 1925 so they're pretty dominant, but there are at least 3-4 others that win an occasional title. AEK, Panathenaikos, PAOK to name a few

Oh man. Ok…

for me it’s tough because Haaland is the wild card. If he can be every bit as dominant in a possession system under Pep, they could go undefeated. But it could also go the other way too. And if Barca gets Bernardo Silva, it can be even more challenging. Therefore to be provocative, I’ll go:

Liverpool
City
spurs
Chelsea
Arsenal
West Ham
New Castle

and for relegation, I’ll go :
Everton
Bournemouth
Fulham

I think only 6 teams have spent every season in the Prem and have never been relegated. Everton is one of those 6. But this year they go down the first time ever. Poor Super Frank will be gone by December.
Damn I forgot about United. They lost Pogba so I’ll go addition but subtraction and have them 6th ahead of West Ham.

Reactions: eastender2
What a tool.

Rio Ferdinand: "I can’t look any further than Man City (for the PL title). The top four will be Manchester City, Liverpool, Spurs and Manchester United, in that order."

EPL question? Ever heard of Christian Benteke? DC United signed him today, is he any good?

EPL question? Ever heard of Christian Benteke? DC United signed him today, is he any good?
Yeah, I mean he carved out a long and middling type premier league career and I don’t think he’s 30 is he?

Never a star but good enough to play in the worlds top league for a long time so I’m sure he will make DC fans happy. I don’t know how Rooney wants to play at DC, but Benteke is a pretty tall target at 6’3”. I’m sure there’s a lot of smallish CB’s in MLS that Rooney can exploit if they have good crossers of the ball.

He’s a Belgian international, good years in EPL, not a prominent Belgian international but a very good player pick up for DC.
Was in and out of that Belgian National Team lineup. But he's the example of an MLS signing I like. A UEFA A teamer (though past his prime)

Was in and out of that Belgian National Team lineup. But he's the example of an MLS signing I like. A UEFA A teamer (though past his prime)

He’s still 29. He will be fine. I’m interested. MLS needs more guys like this.

Reactions: Pitt79
I didn’t realize that Dortmund is playing Leverkusen. That’s two Champions League teams. So while the league does not have much intrigue, the match itself should. Still though, I won’t be going out of my way to watch it, and actually I won’t be because my team is on at the same time.

ADVERTISEMENT